“Love the Shedd Aquarium” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shedd Aquarium

Shedd Aquarium
1200 S. Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, IL 60605 (Downtown / The Loop)
+1 312-939-2438
and up
Chicago CityPass
Ranked #40 of 952 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Owner description: Located on the shores of Lake Michigan, Shedd Aquarium brings you eye-to-eye with more than 32,000 aquatic animals - from whales to snails, tarantulas to turtles, angelfish to zebra sharks!
Highland Village, Texas
10 attraction reviews
“Love the Shedd Aquarium”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We decided to go to the Shedd Aquarium on Sunday Dec 30th. We got there around 1030am and the line was extremely long, out the front doors, down the stairs and almost to the Field Museum. At first we were detered from going, but after walking around I found you could stand in another line, for buying memberships, city passes (purchasing or redeeming) or fast pass tickets, which was much shorter! We ended up buying a city pass (which I'll talk about at the end) and getting into the aquarium with in twenty minutes, instead of what probably would have been over an hour, maybe more. Walking in you are greeted by an enormous tank filled with tons of Caribbean fish, which to me is spectacular because I have snorkeled with all the fish and sea life in the tank, on vacation in the Caribbean. The jelly fish exhibit was great, with not be able to really enjoy these animals in the wild. The show for the holidays was my least favor part. The dolphins and whales do some interesting tricks and are great to see. The down side was the acutal performers, singers and emcee to the event. It made it almost unbareable to enjoy these wonderful mammels. The rest of the aquarium was filled with different wild life from all types of waters. These are always a joy to see, especially for people who enjoy nature and the water. Next time I'm in Chicago I will definitely be back to see what new wild life they have added. Great for families, couples or any one who enjoys sea life.

If you want to see all or most of these attrations; Chicago Art Insitute, Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum, Skydeck (Willis Tower) or John Hancock Observatory, buy the Chicago City Pass. It is much cheaper than buying individually (even if you only go see 3 of them). Also, you get to zip right past all the lines. I would recommend going to one of the less crowded attractions first; Field Museum, Art Institue or Observatory and buy a City Pass there first, then you get to immediately skip the line at the aquarium and get right in. If you buy on line and redeem at the aquarium, you will have to wait in the line we did which was only twenty minutes so not too bad.

Shedd Aquarium is great. Recommended. Please visit if you are in Chicago.

• Polish first
Toronto
9 attraction reviews
“Eh”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I'd been anxious to visit Shedd for the last few months or so, but the price (~$30 for a "full experience") deterred me. Luckily, Travelzoo had a special evening entrance for ~$10 around Christmas, so I jumped on the opportunity. After much waiting, my personal verdict on Shedd aquarium is: Eh. In other words, so-so at best.

Don't get me wrong, the building itself is nice, but there just isn't much interesting on display, and moreover there are no especially large fish species, by large fish standards (except maybe dolphins and belugas, which are nice.) (They did have an anaconda though, which I'd always wanted to see.) All in all, I would say $30 entrance is definitely a ripoff. At the $10 pricepoint, we felt it was alright for an evening out, but didn't come out overly impressed, but for $10 we wouldn't complain. So at the $10 price point, I'd give this review 3 stars, but since it's actually $30, I'm knocking off a star.

Chicago, Illinois
4 attraction reviews
“Fun and interesting for any age”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

If you have kids, you have to take them here. If you are an adult, you will enjoy Shedd more than you think you will! I have been here multiple times in the past year, and even became a member (which actually saved me money). Everyone I have taken here has loved it. The Jellies exhibit is a must-see before it finally ends; it is mesmerizing. The dolphin/beluga whale show is fun, particularly for kids, and the 4-D movie will be enjoyed even by adults. I also enjoy the location of the aquarium, right by the edge of the water, even though it is not super easy to get here using public transit (usually requires a transfer of some sort, so we took a cab/drove). If you drive, try to park at the meters along the street toward the planetarium (should be cheaper than the lot I think). There are two different options for eating (cheaper cafeteria style and a cafe), so you can plan to be here basically for a whole day. Or, you can skip the extras and cruise through the exhibits in a few hours (if you don't have any children with you). There are also lockers for rent (bring quarters), which come in handy for bags, purses, and coats.

Visited January 2013
Sacramento, California
64 attraction reviews
“Don't bring your fishing pole”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

This was a great attraction for all ages. You can't go wrong spending a portion of your day looking at fish from around the world. The holiday Dolphin show was a little cheesy especially because it was after Christmas and yet Santa Claus still made an appearance. Don't miss seeing the sea horses. They are truly amazing. Also, go down below to get a real close up of the beluga whales swimming right up to the glass.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
24 attraction reviews
“New Years Eve”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We visited Shedd on New Years Eve, what a great place to visit. Whilst waiting for the dolphin show and trio sang Auld Lang Syne which was lovely and played music throughout the show, which was very chrismassy! Beluga Whales excellent.

Visited December 2012

Been to Shedd Aquarium? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Shedd Aquarium, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.