“Okay Aquarium...we have seen better.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Shedd Aquarium

Shedd Aquarium
1200 S. Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, IL 60605 (Downtown / The Loop)
+1 312-939-2438
and up
Chicago CityPass
Ranked #40 of 952 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Owner description: Located on the shores of Lake Michigan, Shedd Aquarium brings you eye-to-eye with more than 32,000 aquatic animals - from whales to snails, tarantulas to turtles, angelfish to zebra sharks!
Indianapolis, Indiana
67 attraction reviews
“Okay Aquarium...we have seen better.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

I wouldn't really recommend this Aquarium. It is okay in some areas but it is nothing spectacular for the price you pay.
First off....you have to wait FOREVER in line! We went on a Friday at around 1pm and we waited in line a good 45 minutes to an hour. It wouldn't be terrible if you weren't outside for most of it! They really try to get you to do that fastpass/city pass so you can cut the line.
Anyways---there really weren't that many bigger animals in the aquarium. I expected to see some dolphins, more whales, manatees, more penguins. Basically, if you pay a higher price, you can see a dolphin show! Then there is one area for penguins....a little small. Then there are beluga whales...which were neat.
They have different areas that show you different parts of the world and the fish or sea creatures they have to offer. It was a good idea to split it up that way. Honestly, I have just seen way better Aquariums (Gatlinburg, Tennessee for instance). I think this just may be a little older and parking is $16 if you cannot find a street spot. Ticket prices are in the $30's for the "Special extra stuff." IF you ask me....it isn't worth it for what you get at all.

Visited March 2011

• Polish first
trinidad
7 attraction reviews
“Great Experience!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

My kids and I thoroughly enjoyed this aquarium. It was far better than Sea World.
I found the exhibits so informative and interactive.
My kids 5 and 22 mths, really enjoyed the camp area, the submarine, 3D movie and so much more.
There is so much to learn from Shedd, I just cant say enough.

Visited March 2011
Haiphong, Vietnam
34 attraction reviews
“Good aquarium, bad show”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

The aquarium is good in general, yet the show was bad. Unless you have never seen a seal, penguin ... show; this show is nothing special, even worse than a show I watched in Vietnam. Well, not worth the extra fee.

The rest is fine.

Visited April 2010
Upstate NY
“Plan Ahead for the Line”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

If you want to get in be sure to plan ahead. We knew you had to go early and we knew there would be a line. We had no idea a line meant 2 hours 30 min. We were there before 10:00 on a cold Sunday morning. After waiting about 15 min. we asked the man directing the line and he said to plan on getting to the door about 12:30 PM, we decided as much as we wanted to see the aquarium it was not something we were willing to wait that long for.

Visited February 2011
Milwaukee
33 attraction reviews
“Great place for families.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

in Chicago make sure to visit the Shedd Aquarium. The Shedd is a wonderful place to view many different types of fish. There are fish that appear to look like coral and whales. It was nice to see the variety of fish throughout. Make sure you arrive early especially on free days or you may spend most of your time waiting to get in. The only thing that I did not like about the Shedd was on wing was stuffed with a gift shop. If you have young children this is a wonderful place to let them explore and be in awe of the animals. I cannot wait to return.

Visited February 2011

Been to Shedd Aquarium? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Shedd Aquarium, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.