“Always great” 5 of 5 stars

Activities: Group tours/walking tour
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This Classical Renaissance structure, guarded by two bronze lions at its entrance, boasts one of the world's great art collections, including the trademark "American Gothic."
Lawrence, Kansas
“Always great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

We enjoyed the American collection and the Art Institute has one of the best museum shops I've been to.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
21 attraction reviews
“Impressionism galore”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

This museum has a wonderful selections of paintings, especially Monet and Manet, as well as numerous other famous, well known pieces. I spent the most time in the impressionist wing, but strolled through the rest of the museum too, lasting about five hours. If you love paintings, this is the place to go.

Frankenmuth, Michigan
4 attraction reviews
“Don't miss the miniatures on the lower level”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

I have been many times to this amazing museum but had never seen the miniature rooms on the lower level. It is now my favorite permanent exhibit

Visited October 2013
Chicago, Illinois
4 attraction reviews
“Best Art Museum in the World”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

I might be biased because I live in Chicago, but I've visited numerous art museums in other countries and cities, and the Art Institute of Chicago has by far the best the best collection! It's a must see if you visit Chicago and have any interest at all in art. Don't miss it, and make sure you have more than just a couple hours - I could spend the entire day there!

Visited December 2013
Decatur, Georgia
23 attraction reviews
“Include this on your list when visiting Chicago”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

I grew up in Chicago and never visited when I was living there. Now, I put it on my "tourist" list. Friends and family rarely accompany me as they take this treasure for granted. I have been there three times over the past 10 years. This time I took my time to savor the exhibits. Everything was great with one small exception which had nothing to do with the exhibits.

The coat check area seems to be disorganized. It cost me a scarf.

Otherwise, I plan to visit again and again while holding on to my personal effects.