“Still here and Love it!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of dana hotel and spa

You added dana hotel and spa to your Saves list
dana hotel and spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   660 North State Street, Chicago, IL 60654   |
Special Deal
Receive $10 F&B credit
Ranked #50 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Michigan
“Still here and Love it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

I am so impressed with everything about our stay at the Dana that I am writing this review while still here. Yes, the rooms are a bit small but perfect size for two. We have been pleased with the friendliness of the staff, the service and the accommodations. We booked through Orbitz for a good rate and our booking was supposed to include breakfast. We were told that rooms booked through third parties do not include free breakfasts. Even though we were disappointed , the food was delicious, worth paying for and reasonably priced. We will definitely make this our go-to hotel from now on!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Mary M, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Hi 8shots,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Please book direct with the hotel next time so you will receive a $10 Breakfast voucher per person for each night of your stay. Thanks again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
Burlington, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

The location was great. Room was fine, small but we expected that. Service was lacking. The front desk who checked us in gave us a cold reception. This lasted throughout our visit with this particular staff member. We were woken at 3:30 am by loud and roudy guests next door and on our floor, I assume from the bar above. I finally stepped out in the hall to see a staff member of the hotel monitoring the floor, fully aware of the situation but he did absolutely nothing (even though he saw me) until we complained at 4:00 am when we could see things were not going to settle down. At that time, we heard the request come over his pager and then the staff member asked them to quiet down. I have to wonder about a hotel that shows so little concern for their guests' experience. I don't particularly enjoy spending my holiday in complaint mode. The following day, our room wasn't cleaned. The cleaning staff had all day (from 10:00 am to 5:00pm when we returned) to clean the room. Once again, we had to complain. All in all, good location but left feeling it was a weekend of complaints and poor service. I would not stay there again. There are many other options in Chicago!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Mary M, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear Kimberley M,
I am so sorry to her about your poor experience at our hotel. Please know that this is not typical for our guests. I would like to opportunity to discuss these issues with you further, please contact me directly. My information is below, thank you so much!
Mary Murray
312.202.6007 - direct line
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I booked the room through Priceline and got a good rate. Checking in was smooth. The rooms was nicely furnished. I got a room not too close to the ground floor and not too high to be close to the roof top bar. You are really close to great bars and restaurants. I would stay here again.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi John N,
Thank you for the great review. So happy we were able to place you in a great location in the hotel. Hope to see you again soon!
Elizabethtown, Kentucky, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

This hotel is conveniently located near many great restaurants and shopping areas. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. The rooms offer great amenities like a Keurig and plush bathrobe. I will definitely stay here again when I return to Chicago.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Mary M, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear Christina S,
Thank you for the great review! I am glad you enjoyed our Keurigs and other amenities, we get lots of great feedback on those. I am glad the location was convenient for you and we look forward to seeing you again soon :)
McKinney, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

What a wonderful surprise to find this property! My husband and our good friends stayed here to celebrate our anniversaries together. From the moment we walked in to the moment we left, the customer service was exemplary and the energy/vibe were just right!
We stayed in a corner king on on side of the hotel, and our friends stayed on the other. Both views were fab; State Street near Huron and Erie! We argued over who had the best view :) City lights without the crazy!

Location: Couldn't be better. OFF of the Michigan Avenue bustle, but within walking distance. Close to restaurants, shops, Rush Street, etc.
Decor: Contemporary meets elegant. Loft vibe and minimal, but with great presence.
Sleep: Amazing! Quiet (enough-yes, it's the city) and seriously, the bed, pillows, and linens invited us to stay another night (which we ended up doing).
Amenities: Enough to go around. Whatever you needed was there, and whatever you wanted was available. In room bar and snacks were actually reasonably priced. Nice touch!
Security: ABOVE average. You must go past the front staff on the second level to get anywhere. It actually annoyed us a bit at first (must have key for elevator, etc), but once we got the hang of the system, we really appreciated it! Keeps the noise level down in a smaller hotel!
Food: Great bar and restaurant on-site (Freestyle) with good wait-staff and congenial bartenders. 24 hour room service that was above average. Of NOTE: Gratuities are included in the room service charges, as in most hotels. The difference here is that the staff actually REMINDS you that this is true and doesn't expect an extra gratuity be added. Amazing!
Lively: On site club (Vertigo) was filled with younger people (than us) on Saturday night, but we enjoyed an early drink and lounge on the "rooftop" area and then left before the partiers arrived! Fire pits and many places to "grab a drink" without waiting in huge lines. Really great atmosphere.
Customer Service: Above average! Bellmen Linsdey and Christopher were on the ball and quick to respond. Front desk staff and concierge always available and responsive to needs. A special note to Andrea at the front desk and manager Ramsey; they were amazing for us when our flight was cancelled due to weather. Any traveler understand the stress of such an event. They found us a room (the same type we had stayed in), matched our airline's "discounted" hotel rate, and even gave us some savings vouchers for breakfast the next day. All with a smile and "can do/we've got your back" attitude! We were so appreciative!

So, for any review, it is incumbent to try to find something for a property to improve on. We had a hard time with this one. So, here is a small thing I could think of: Dana makes personal wake up calls (not the automated one). Nice touch, indeed. So, if they go through the bother of making that personalized touch, the employee should try to be a bit more "cheery" or "friendly" when they call you! :) This is all I could come up with.

No doubt we will go again, and again! Our friends said the same thing! And next time, we will try the onsite SPA!

Room Tip: As in any city, higher floors are quitter! Corner suites have balconies/corner kings have good vi...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Nina R,
Thank you for your comprehensive complimentary review! I especially appreciate you recognizing some of our staff. They consistently go above and beyond for our guests, and it is so nice to see guests appreciating it :) We will definitely work on making our wake-up calls more cheery, great feedback. See you again soon!
Jackson, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

The Dana was the perfect boutique hotel w style and great service.
The hotel was in an excellent location two blocks from the Mag Mile. Everything within walking distance.
Great rooftop bar w spectacular views.
I stayed in a reg king room which had a great mini bar and balcony. The rooms have a very intimate feel especially with the glass windows to shower.
This is a hotel I would highly recommend and would def stay here again.
Bell hop were very knowledgable of the area and suggested some excellent places to eat and drink.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Delre_Travel_1980,
Wow, thank you for the great review. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay and our amenities. We hope to see you again soon!
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

I am a glutton for overpaying for closets with views of nothing. Once again I used a third party booking service, Jetse***** to book a room. This time I booked a Comfy King at Dana Hotel and Spa. Upon check-in, I received the deer caught in headlights look from the "front desk clerks" upon arriving. Why do they insist on looking at the guest of the hotel as if they don't expect him/her to need their assistance. No, I'm standing here so you can look into my eyes to see your reflection. I was impolitely informed that there were no upgrades available and that the desolate hotel was "sold out" for the evening. Lies, all lies. Of course upon arriving to room 2013 I discover I am underneath the roof top "terrace/club" I can tell from the vibrating lamp and tv, and have a slither of a window and balcony. I am so tired of being treated like I have stolen something from these hotels. If it is such an injustice to have guests book rooms through third party companies then stop it. Do us all a favor. On, an odd note, Hotel security interrupted my slumber at 7 am knocking on the room across the hall. I guess, they stole something too. Unfortunately, this glutton booked an all inclusive trip to the DR through the same company.

Room Tip: Book through hotel directly for the rooms with actual windows.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear T B,
My sincerest apologies that you did not enjoy your stay. You are absolutely right is stating that we should treat all guests alike, no matter how they reserve. I am so sorry that was not your experience. I will be sure to share your comments with our operations team to ensure that our associates are making sure each guest has a great experience.

Been to dana hotel and spa? Share your experiences!