“Simple, convenient and friendly” 4 of 5 stars
Review of dana hotel and spa

You added dana hotel and spa to your Saves list
dana hotel and spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   660 North State Street, Chicago, IL 60654   |
Ranked #57 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
“Simple, convenient and friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We just came back from a long weekend trip in Chicago. We stayed at Dana hotel and spa. When we first arrived we were greeted by a very friendly Andrea who checked us in. Our room wasn't available, but she said to go grab lunch and come back in an hour and she would have something for us. She asked us what our room preference was, in terms of whether we wanted higher floor, etc. when we returned a few hours later, after walking around on oak street, she had our room ready. Gave us a corner room with a nice view. She was super friendly and helpful.

The room was simple. It had a very loft feel to it, which I love. No bath. But loved the rain shower. The gym...not exactly high on their list. It was small and basic and we struggled with our workouts and had to improvise on everything.

Location of this hotel can't be beat. It was so convenient, we found that it was so easy to walk outside and no matter which way we wanted to go, it was very difficult or long to get to.

Service was great, everyone was super friendly and always helpful.

Room Tip: There is a club at the top of the hotel. It's best not to get a room within a few floors from t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
Birmingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This hotel is in a great location for the price we paid - just five minutes walk from miracle mile. Room was a decent size for inner city and good quality furnishings - bed was really comfortable!!! The only downside really was some of the staff. There is a rooftop bar at the hotel with its "own" entrance - which is actually the same lift as the hotel guests but they make hotel go up the stairs or a separate lift for one floor before joining the lift already filled with rooftop goers!! When we dared to use the lift from the ground floor (unknowingly at the this point) the bouncer was very rude to us!!

However if you can put up with rude staff then to be honest the price and location is a good deal - at the end of the day it's just a base for exploring this wonderful city!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Dana Hotel from July 11 - 14 and we will definitely be back. The location is excellent - you are 2 blocks from Chicago Ave station (red line) and a couple blocks west from shopping on Michigan Avenue. Also nearby are good bars and restaurants - check out those on Clark.
Although we did not get a corner room we were quite pleased with ours - nice small balcony and a very comfortable king size bed. No bathtub and the shower has a glass wall open to the bedroom area (but there is a curtain you can draw across that completely blocks the view). Staff were very friendly and helpful.
The only downside to the hotel is the bar/club on the top floor. Elevators in the evenings were very slow and crowded due to people taking them up to the bar. We stayed on the 9th floor and didnt experience any bar related noise, although upper floors may be affected at night.
Overall we were very pleased with our stay and would highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

After reading glowing remarks for the hotel, thought I would deviate from my usual chain hotel choice and give dana a try. I stayed for 2 nights in the Tranquil Suite. ** One caveat to my review is that I consult for organizations on customer experience so I consider various aspects of the entire stay. **

Overall, the staff is very friendly and the property itself is okay. As a boutique hotel I was expecting everything to be a notch above the normal hotels I use in downtown Chicago (Omni/Intercontinental). I did not have a chance to use room service, restaurant or the fitness center so nothing to review on those. Based on the menu I scanned, the prices looked very reasonable for room service and the mini bar items in the room are very fairly priced.

The areas of issue I experienced during my stay...
1. Room - overall the room was nice. The description online for the room states there are 2 balconies for the Tranquil suite. I was very surprised at the tiny, tiny size of each balcony. Don't expect a typical balcony size. The sliding door to the bathroom doubles as the door to the closet. It's not much of an issue but interesting nevertheless. The TV setup in the bedroom is poorly designed. It sits smack dab in front of the desk area. If a person is working at the desk and another wants to watch TV from the bed, it can't happen. Even with no one sitting at the desk, the TV is mounted so low that having the chair in front of the desk cause issues with the line of sight and remote control functions when watching from the bed. In the suite, there is a second TV in the living room but most people like to watch while laying in their bed.

2. The A/C in my room was not working. When I got to the room, it was warm so cranked the A/C down and after 3 hours still was not cooling. Called the front desk and someone came up to fix the issue. They did some work and "fixed" the issue and checked the temperature and it felt like it was getting cooler. When I got back from a late dinner, the room felt warm again but thought I just need to give it some time. By 1:00am it was not pleasant so called down again and they offered to move me to another room but that would be too much for me to repack everything so passed on that and they said a person would be sent in the morning. The issue was fixed when I got back to the room the next day. The first night was not fun. The living room TV in my room was not working but another call brought a tech to find the issue and fix it.

3. Called housekeeping to request foam pillows. They arrived promptly with a big plastic bag of 4 pillows. The person was very friendly and changed out the pillows while making small talk. I found out later 3 of the new pillows were feather and one of them foam. By this time, I've already called front desk 2 times (between A/C & TV issues) so decided just to deal with it.

4. I had a very early morning flight out of ORD so requested a 4:00am wake up call. The call never came and I woke up late, rushed to get ready and check out. During the check out I told the person they forgot the wake up call. He checked the list and said the room number was transposed and he called the wrong room. My room was 1001...the call went to 1010. Not a great way to complete my stay.

Overall comments...
1. Training - the staff although very friendly, are poorly trained in the roles they occupy. Between a number of erroneous information from the Concierge to the front desk, it became clear they were just giving info to satisfy my question. As a traveller I expect at least the Concierge to be knowledgeable on the information provided. It's not a great feeling to trust the info provided and realize later it was totally incorrect. I do believe they are sincere but the hotel management needs to ensure proper training/hiring is done to make these folks successful in serving their guests. Right now it looks like management is basically filling roles with bodies.

This also was evident with the doorman//bell staff. On numerous occasions, the doorman was talking with another staff member and fails to recognize when a guest arrives. I guess my expectation is that they would cut the conversation and open the door accordingly but that did not happen. It wasn't just me as I observed this for multiple guests. Again, I think the training for that role has not been effective.

2. Elevators - unfortunately the elevators are used both by guests and service personnel. This means during peak check-in/check-out times, your wait for the elevator will be long. Obviously the guests are given first preference by the staff but that means they are delayed in whatever service they are trying to provide (room service, housekeeping, etc.).

All of the items above may have been just unique to my stay/timeframe and based on the glowing remarks by other reviewers, that may be the case. I stay at chain hotels too many nights a year and generally shy away from boutique but thought I would give dana a try. Unfortunately, I was not impressed as I was expecting a more personal and unique experience. Hope your stay will be much better.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 1001.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Stayed here over St Pattys weekend.

Room was great, in the heart of the city. Clean throughout. We are young so didn't mind the hipster cool lounge type crowd.

The bathroom does make it a bit awkward since the door doesn't really close all the way.

Try to avoid the restaurant downstairs. It's way over priced. Being so close to everything downtown has to offer, walk explore and yelp something better.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

So my husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon. The hotel is pretty cool. It's in a good location. The Internet is free, this may seem insignificant, but I just hate it when you pay hundreds of dollars a night o stay somewhere and then they charge you for the bloody Internet.....
Staff were all friendly, but they hadn't a clue... The door guys didn't know where anything was,, but hey they were friendly, and the free Internet allowed us to look it up..
As per the other guests comment... The toilet door slides, but doesn't lock, plus the curtain is on the outside to protect modesty. I love my other half, I also love über trendy hotels... But I wanna use the toilet in peace...
Anyway, loved the hotel, only deducted a star because the noise from the streets was crazy....16 floors up and I could hear everything..

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Kaufman, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

My friend and I stayed here for 5 days. I can not imagine a more friendly staff. They made us feel like family. The beds are so comfy and the sheets so soft. Even the towels are luxurious. We had a room with a small balcony with a lovely view of the city, rain forest cafe etc. we asked for advise several times and were always pleased with the response. I booked this on Priceline and am thrilled this is the hotel we won on our bid.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to dana hotel and spa? Share your experiences!