“We were very pleased overall” 4 of 5 stars
Review of dana hotel and spa

You added dana hotel and spa to your Saves list
dana hotel and spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   660 North State Street, Chicago, IL 60654   |
Ranked #53 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Francisco, California
“We were very pleased overall”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We are a married couple in the late 50s/early 60s range, and were placed here by the company on whose board I sit (because the hotel is closeby their offices AND they are a green hotel). The clientele is young, but we like that, our kids are the demographic (20s-early 30s) and we hang out with them more than anyone, so this is in effect how we rate our stays, how it fits our overall needs. The Dana was a very pleasurable experience. The staff are VERY accommodating, as in VERY. So, do not shy away because you read about their popularity (as in, the young folks like it). The bellmen, desk staff, etc., could not have been nicer, must say especially the bellmen, how nice are they?! The rooms are not big, but don't feel particularly claustropobic (and I am that person). The bathroom doors could use an anal retentive carpenter to line them up so that they don't open when the bellmen are standing right there... I know that is not easy (and I mean it, my husband is a builder). If you are not comfortable sitting on the POT and having someone (in my case, husband) swipe the curtain aside thinking it is the closet, be pre-warned... the bedroom is linked to the bath/shower by a curtain. That curtain cannot be seen through if closed.... so just a bit of pre-thinking if you are modest or easily frightened (like me). But once you get past these issues, this is a great place to stay. Beds very very comfortable. There is a way to open the bottom of the window for fresh air. The rooms are a little hot even after setting the thermostat, so you will need this. Best not to have a room across from the elevators (we did, but we are really good sleepers, but understand that most people are not). The rooftop bar is great! Yes, we were a quarter century older than most of the guests up there, but it's Chicago, so we were included immediately of course. Overall, a fantastic place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms near the elevator are a tiny bit noisy. Actually did not bother us all that much except at 9 a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
Miamisburg, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

My girlfriend and I recently stayed the weekend at this beautiful hotel. After much research on this website, I chose this one due to all of the wonderful reviews. I was not disappointed. From the friendly Ceasar to the rooftop nightclub, everything was fantastic. A perfect romantic getaway. We were there for two nights - Friday and Saturday. We stayed in a corner king with a nice view of the city. Only downside is that even with the closed blinds, too much light snuck in and we were unable to sleep late. But sleep was not why we were there. The hall noise was not a factor. Yes, there was some noise late at night from other guests, and the room doors were not quiet at all when they automatically shut. But along with the street noise, not a big deal. All of the touches in the room (snacks, bar, etc) were great. We really enjoyed the glass shower!!! Some may not like the visibility, but we found it to be fun. We aren't a shy couple. But for those that want the privacy, there is a curtain that can be used. The nightclub was a bit loud for my choosing, but again, that is what nightclubs do. Unfortunately it was a bit too cold and windy to enjoy the firepit. On Saturday night, after we went to the Maroon 5 concert, we ended up at the tavern across the street. Drinks were cheap, food was good and we only had to cross the street to our bed! Yes, the pricing is a little more than I would normally pay, but this is Chicago, and the location and ambiance of the hotel made it worth it. We would highly recommend this for a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: For a romantic getaway, I would choose the corner king. Great view and a sexy environment!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Richard G,
WOW! It sounds like you had a fantastic time, thank you for the five star review! It sounds like we were the perfect destination for your romantic weekend. Next time, try our Tranquil Suites, they have a double rainfall shower that is really popular with our guests. Thanks again :)
Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

A friend told me about the Dana Hotel, and I'm glad for the recommendation! I stayed last October for a business trip, and plan on staying again real soon on my next trip. Caesar is always cheerful and friendly and helpful with recommendations! The rooms are gorgeous and spacious, and love the view on any level!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Mary M, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear mcclure238,
Thank you for your review and your kind recognition of Ceaser! He is a great doorman and we are so happy to have him on our team. Look forward to your return!!
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Pros: Convenient Location
Fast Elevator, I get so irritated with slow elevators but this
one was super fast!
Small Balcony
Walking distance to Nordstrom Rack & Macy's
Super fast service
Reasonable price

Cons: I felt the room could have been a bit colder
I did not like the floor, I always felt like I could slip and fall
There were no chairs in the computer area

Overall the pros outweigh the cons, I would stay here again :).

Dear zgenie,
Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our location and amenities, like our quick elevator :) Thank you for listing some cons as well, we are continually striving to upgrade our product and appreciate the feedback. See you again soon!
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

We stayed at the Dana Hotel on 24 floor (i think) and had a spectacular view of Chicago. Upon entering the ground level, you are directed by stairs or elevator to first floor which is the hotel lobby. From there, you access the main elevator which takes you up the tower.
Dana has a fantastic gym (which we used) and a restaurant and drinks area (we didn't use) so you could stay in Chicago and never need to leave the hotel!
Our room was very nice, interesting glass shower wall separates the sleeping quarters from the bathroom, with the curtain on the outside. Could be kind of kinky, however the toilet is right there... so hopefully you can trust your partner not to take a peek while you're on the loo... whatever floats your boat though!!
The bed was incredibly big and comfortable, and the room comes with a fridge packed full of reasonably priced wine and snacks.
The coffee machine was great too!!
The only cons I had (besides the shower curtain thing and lack of privacy) was the TV remote didn't work and the hair dryer didn't work either, and really, these aren't necessities.
Great stay, we'd go back for sure and get a spa treatment next time too.
Location: Dana is in a great location, walking distance to the shopping strip and a Starbucks right around the back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Mary M, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Kate E,
Thank you for the great review. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and plan to return to try our spa. My apologies for the various deficiencies you experienced during your stay. While we appreciate your understanding, please know that is not the typical experience and we continuously strive to ensure each guest's stay is flawless. Thank you again for your feedback, see you soon :)
Vernon Hills, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I stayed here last week. It was one of the best hotels I have stayed it. My room had two balconies where I could open up the doors on a beatiful Chicago night to get some fresh air. The bathroom with the double shower was fantastic, and the bed was super comfortable. I got the chance to run in the Gold Coast neighborhood and along the Magnificent Mile.

I highly recommend the dana hotel and spa - you will enjoy it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the two balconies - phenomenal
Hi Tim H,
Thank you so much for the five star review! It sounds like you stayed in a Tranquil Suite. These are super popular with our frequent guests, and I am so happy you enjoyed it as well. See you again soon!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I stayed in Dana for one week in May 2013 and fully enjoyed the experience. The staff are very helpfull and friendly especially the dread locks porter at the front door. He always put a smile in my face and suggested the best places to eat and shop.It is a very trendy hotel and the roof top bar is excellent (but prices for drinks are too high). the cleaner broke my phone charger while hovering the floor and left me a note apologising, the replacement came in less than 24 hours. It was a great experience and strongly recomend this hotel.

Mary M, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Hi Cristina27773,
Thank you for the great review! I believe the doorman you are referring to is Cesar, and we are lucky to have him on our team, I am glad he made your stay great. Thank you for your understanding about your charger, mistakes do happen and we appreciate your patience! See you again soon :)

Been to dana hotel and spa? Share your experiences!