“Great, hip, happening hotel downtown Chicago” 5 of 5 stars
Review of dana hotel and spa

You added dana hotel and spa to your Saves list
dana hotel and spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   660 North State Street, Chicago, IL 60654   |
Ranked #45 of 178 Hotels in Chicago
Naples, Florida
“Great, hip, happening hotel downtown Chicago”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I just completed a one night stay at the Dana Hotel & Spa. Check in was easy, doormen were friendly and helpful and the room was fantastic. I was on the 11th floor so the street noise was minimal. Floor to ceiling windows were cool. The bed was comfortable and linens were excellent. Great tv and iPod speakers. Free wifi is always a plus. The restaurant and lounge on the first floor was pretty busy with good music. I did not get to the rooftop bar but will on my next visit. I would recommend this hotel if you are traveling on business or with your spouse. Not so much for families in my opinion.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Mary M, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Michael-S1234,
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. Even though you only stayed one night, it sounds like you really got to experience a lot of our great amenities. We can't wait for you to return to try Vertigo Sky Lounge. Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
Lake Orion, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I arrived with low expectations as I never heard of this hotel, but I was pleasantly surprised by the great location and style of the hotel and room.
But at the end of the day it comes down to sleep quality. Unfortunately my room was facing the street and the windows are simply too thin. I woke up multiple times every night from the sirens of passing emergency vehicles. I heard the same complaint from other hotel guests.
The mentioned windows have another flaw: They look great as they are floor to ceiling, but since they are see through you will probably keep the curtains closed as there is an office building on the other side of the street.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear D4RTS,
Our apologies for the poor experience you described above. Please know that we do have rooms that are higher up that give guests a much quieter experience. If you do decide to try us again, please speak to in house reservations to request a higher level quiet room. I hope you do return since you did enjoy our location and unique style.
Farmingville, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stay with the Dana every year for the Chicago Housewares Show at McCormick, and I have to say that the staff and accommodations have made it feel like home. Each year they deliver a consistent experience that makes a long stay comfortable, enjoyable, and fun. Dana Hotel & Spa breaks the mold when it comes to boutique hotels by providing great atmosphere, swanky vibe, delicious food, and friendly staff all in one place. Downtown is easily accessible by foot but you could keep yourself amused for days without leaving the property as well. I would highly recommend the Dana!

Room Tip: If your room number ends in "01" your stay will be extra special!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear MattHinFL,
Thank you for choosing our hotel when you visit for the Housewares Convention. We are so happy to hear about your consistently great experience each time you stay. Love the room tip as well, the 01 rooms, our Tranquil Suites, are very popular with our frequent guests :)
Buffalo, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

My husband and I go to Chicago every year, sometimes more than once. So, we are no strangers to the downtown chicago hotel scene. I have wanted to stay at this hotel for a while because of everything I saw online about it. I figure awesome, floor to ceiling windows, how cool would that be. We got to the hotel pretty early in the morning, before 9 I think. Their check in system is done through a computer. I was having problems and the person that was sitting at the desk didnt even bother to ask if I needed help, nor did he even acknowledge us. He did take care of us though. He even changed our room no problem when I asked if we were able to.However, I do agree that their customer service needs some attention. I work in a customer service industry, and acknowledgement is key. Smiling and saying hi when a customer walks by you might actually make a difference. At least looking at the person is respectful.
It is a very hip and modern hotel. The room was small, but it is not something that i cared that much about. We werent in our room that much. The shower is kind of weird because it leaks all over the place, and I do agree that the curtain on the other side of glass is just plain weird.
Overall, it is not a bad hotel, but nothing stood out enough to make me say hands down i would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear True01,
First, please let me apologize for your poor experience with us. The service you described above is not acceptable and not a typical experience for our guests. We have shared your comments with our management and staff to avoid another guest having a similar experience. I do hope you try us again so we can show you how we stand out among other hotels in Chicago.
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Modern rooms (some small) with good restaurant. Good location and easy parking nearby. Fun getaway in the city. We had a larger room with great views. Walk to many sites and shopping. Newer, fun hotel with a rooftop lounge open year round. Good for business travellers, couples, singles maybe not for families. They have a spa but I did not use it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
dana_hotel_mgt, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear HZ,
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay. I am glad you enjoyed the location and our Argent Restaurant and Raw Bar. You will have to return to try our spa at dana :)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights at the end of feb. got a good rate £50 per night plus tax for Comfort room.
As most people have said, very comfortable bed, and an amazing shower, with nice products in the bathroom, much better than the average.
Breakfast was very good if a bit more expensive than what we would normally pay, but worth it for a treat.
Vertigo bar on the roof worth a visit for the experience of having drinks on the rood, and the fire pit, but be aware drinks not cheap.
Hotel easy to get too from O,Hare airport. Train to terminal 3 then buy ticket at station $5 blue line to Jackson, Red line to union. 5 min walk up north State. Hotel has purple trees outside.
Staff very friendly and helpful especially all the doormen.
Plenty of nice places to eat near by, just ask the door men

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Mary M, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Lynette3696,
it sounds like you had a fantastic stay. I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your room, amenities and Vertigo Sky Lounge. It would be great to see you return and try our spa as well :)
CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

The good: the corner suite has amazing floor to ceiling windows! It was nice sitting at the desk, looking down on the city. The bathroom with glass shower walls was cool - while there is a little curtain to close off the view into the shower, it's not very big....Definitely don't share a room with someone if you're at all shy. The location is great - walkable to Michigan Ave and tons of restaurants. The service was mostly good, though some employees were trying a little too hard to be trendy/hip.

The less than good: the large windows and cement ceilings make the room a little on the chilly side. The doors are super thin. Be prepared to be woken up by any movement or talking in the hall....especially around the time when the roof club closes and people are going back to their rooms. The "spa" is just okay. Nothing special. While I was getting my nails done, all I could hear were the employees gossiping about the event that had been held there the night before....not very relaxing.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are the way to go! Amazing floor to ceiling windows!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
dana_hotel_mgt, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear ATinCT,
Thank you for posting your review. My sincerest apologies for your experience in the guestroom and our spa. The situation you described is unacceptable and we are taking the appropriate measures to ensure another guest does not have a similar experience.
We hope you try us again the next time you visit, thank you!