“Great stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of dana hotel and spa

Save Saved
You added dana hotel and spa to your Saves list
dana hotel and spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   660 North State Street, Chicago, IL 60654   |
Ranked #57 of 169 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

My girlfriend and I have made an effort to enjoy this beautiful city that we live in. So every other month, we choose a boutique hotel and plan a romantic stay-cation for the weekend. Well the Dana was one of the most memorable experiences that we've had in our tour of the Chicago hotels. It's in a great location, the views were phenomenal and the service exceptional. I would highly recommend this to others.

Room Tip: If you want more space, do the upgrade.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
dana_hotel_mgt, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Elle B, that is such a great idea! What a fantastic way to appreciate the city you live in! I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you on another one of your staycations in the future :)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

This was my note to the General Manager of the hotel.....

General Manager,

I wanted to take this time by thanking you personally on a great hire. Today, my fiance had to travel to your city for a business meeting. The travel is part of the job, but traveling on her birthday and without her family was not something that as you can imagine made it for a fun day.
As I was working on a solution to make today still a special day for my girl, I decided to reach out to your hotel. Let me say that your manager Tim Anderson step up to the plate and made things happen above and beyond. Not only did he find a great solution for my needs, but he executed flawlessly and as painless as possible. I am also traveling this week so this task was an important task for me today.

Tim went above and beyond the call of duty and because of his excellent customer service level, I will now make sure the Dana Hotel is my hotel of choice when traveling to the Chicago area.

Thanks again for the great customer service. This is what I call World Class Customer Service.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
dana_hotel_mgt, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear GiddyGroom, it was just heartwarming to read about your experience at our hotel! It was especially nice to see your outstanding comments regarding our Concierge Manager, Tim. Our staff really prides itself on their service, and comments like yours are so nice to read. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding, and we hope to see you again soon.
Indiana en Provence
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Very pleased with this hotel -- especially for the price. Rooms -- very stylish, comfortable, just the right size, and *loved* the floor-to-ceiling windows. 2-night stay -- and so cold, lots of people felt inclined to enjoy the spa and the bar. Loved the extra $10/coupon for breakfast downstairs. (A nice touch.) Small problems with the TV (no remote in my room, then didn't work well) and iPod dock (didn't work), but staff was responsive and friendly. Great location and perfect size. I'll seek this property out to stay again. Oh, and...one of the best hotel beds I've enjoyed in recent travel memory.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Hi Rwilmeth, What a wonderful review, thank you! I am especially pleased that you enjoyed the Breakfast vouchers and our beds. Thank you for noticing. Apologies for our technical difficulties during your stay, thank you for your understanding. I am especially pleased that our service exceeded your expectations and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Carmel, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I recently stayed at the Dana Hotel for three nights for a business trip to Chicago. The hotel is extremely well done. The door man, the front desk and overall service are fantastic. The room itself is extremely nice and they have comfortable beds. However, I did not give this hotel 5-stars because of the primary reason for staying at a hotel...sleep! Here was my experience of the negatives:

1. The window shades do not completely block out the lights from the city.
2. It is close the a fire station and there is a lot of road noise. If you are use to living in the city, this should not be a problem. However, I live in the burbs and am use to peace and quiet.
3. If you stay on the upper floors, you will hear the drone of bass from the Vertigo Sky Lounge. I believe it is only open on certain days, so you might want to check into that depending upon your stay during the week.

If light and noise do not effect your sleep patterns or if you don't plan on sleeping very much, I highly recommend staying at this hotel. Also, this would be a great hotel to party at or have a bachelor/bachelorette party.

If you do plan on sleeping, I would recommend staying at another hotel like the Amalfi, Hotel71, Hotel Palomar or another boutique hotel.

Room Tip: If you plan on going to bed before 2AM, stay on the 18th Floor or below when Club Vertigo is open.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear CarmelINTraveler, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so sorry that you did not have a peaceful nights sleep while you were staying with us! If you do visit us again, please let us know in advance that you would like a quieter area of the hotel and we will do our best to accomodate. Thank you, and we hope to see you again soon!
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

The view was amazing and we were so happy with the staff and the place. Great location and stylish rooms. A bit poky but well kept and clean.

1. Families - Not really so much of a family place, probably more for young couples or business. We had a child but were not made to feel unwelcome because of it.
2. Breakfast - Not free but we had a discount. The breakfast really was great though.
3. Location - Central and entertaining. A short walk to the Hard Rock Cafe and a nightclub on the top floor. Plenty of pubs, clubs eateries and stores nearby. Tour buses stop just half a block from the building. Walking distance to the Magnificent Mile.
4. Room - Smallish but well arranged. The bed was beautiful and the style was interesting. Loved the showers and the view was majestic. We were on 24th floor (i think) and we could see Tribune Tower and some other famous sites.
5. Staff – Great. We had a guy with sleeve tattoos assist who was a magnificent spokesperson for the city and gave us great tips. Staff at the desk were all very nice and helpful.
6. Other - Hotel bars were a stylish but a bit quiet when I was there. Might have just been the day.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Hi JET8882, WOW, you covered everything with your point by point review. It sounds like you really enjoyed your stay and our amenities. Thank you for your excellent comments about our staff as well, they love seeing happy guests :)
Fresno, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

This hotel is in a great location with a short walk to the magnificent mile. For the gangster history hunter this hotel is within a block of where the first "gangster era" hit took place. This hotels bar is fantastic, outdoor space with glass walls and fire pits, smoking allowed. The rooms here are small to the point of having a single door for the closet and the bathroom. Overall the room was clean and comfortable, however the backside of the window blind was quite dusty. Way cool stereo iPhone charger in the room. Nice bedding and very comfortable bed. The bathroom has a glass wall that faces the bedroom from inside the shower.

Room Tip: Get a room om the north side of the hotel for a nice view of the beautiful church where the first ga...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear RWells5733, we are so happy you enjoyed your stay! It was great to read about some Chicago history as well. We offer a really unique product in Chicago and we are pleased you can appreciate that. See you again soon when you return to the city!
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Great location but maintenance issues in the room (Light bulbs out ,poorly sealed doors cold and drafty).Lobby and street entrance, a little bit of an oddity (you exit the elevator and march across the front desk to exit)
I expect more for the price charged.($1200.00 for 3 nights) .I had stayed at this hotel previously and it did not age gracefully.
Also $45 for overnight parking is outrageous for its location (outside open to the elements).
On to the positives,
Food is excellent,service is exellent and probably the best spa bathroom in the city.
I did however expect more of this chic boutique hotel in term of its overall package and "feel"

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
dana_hotel_mgt, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear pbj218, As a repeat guest, your business and impression of the hotel is taken very seriously. My apologies that your experience did not live up to your expectations. We are currently inspecting each guestroom to ensure that they meet our excellent standards. I hope that you would give us another try, please feel free to call us directly to explain your last stay so we can ensure your next stay exceeds your expectations!

Been to dana hotel and spa? Share your experiences!