“The Place to stay when Dtown Chicago.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of dana hotel and spa

Save Saved
You added dana hotel and spa to your Saves list
dana hotel and spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   660 North State Street, Chicago, IL 60654   |
Ranked #57 of 169 Hotels in Chicago
Oak Park, Illinois
“The Place to stay when Dtown Chicago.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I would like to stay that I live in Chicago but decided to get a room downtown so I can enjoy myself without worrying about a car. The Dana had to be the perfect hotel for this. We were close to everything but didn't want to leave me room. The staff was wonderful and caring. The club on the top floor was pretty nice too. Took a carriage ride instead of a cab back to my room and got dropped off in front of the building. Great hotel and will definitely be back.

Room Tip: I stayed on the top floor but was warned ahead of time that it could get noisy because of the club...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
dana_hotel_mgt, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Hi nathan e, how cool to get a carriage ride back to your room! Very unique way to travel these days. I am so happy you enjoyed our location, thank you for staying with us. See you again soon :)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Everything about our stay was fantastic. My boyfriend and I stayed in a corner King -- the views of the city were outstanding, and we loved the modern and simplistic style of the room and entire hotel. We loved the openness of the room and the convenient location to public transportation and Chicago nightlife. Everything about the hotel felt very new. Can't say enough nice things about this hotel!

Room Tip: Corner King had lots of light due to floor to wall windows, and the view was superb.
Hacienda Heights, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

All I have to say about the Dana is that it exceeded my expectations! The lobby is simple, yet chic and the room we had (corner king) was phenomenal. The rooms aren't huge, but the floor to ceiling windows make them feel so open and the light coming in is great! The views aren't bad either. Just make sure to bring down the drapes when it is time to shower unless you want to give the neighboring buildings a peep show. Other than that I loved the rooms at the Dana! The bed is very comfortable, bathrooms are very nice and the glass shower is a fun little treat!! The mini bar is stocked with great drinks at a reasonable price and there is a coffee maker in the room for your convenience. The rooms are wood floors throughout with very chic decorations that make you feel at home and not so much like you are in a stuffy hotel room.

The hotel itself was close to so many great restaurants, shops, and public transport. It was very easy for us to get around from the Dana. There are even a few bars located within the hotel on different levels. The Vertigo bar was a bit too overcrowded with drunk college kids, so I wouldn't recommend going there if you want a drink in a relaxed enviornment.

If you are looking for a great place to stay in this awesome city, I would recommend staying here and I cannot wait to go back!!

Room Tip: Corner King is the best room! I suggest splurging a little more for that one. I promise you will not...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
dana_hotel_mgt, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Dear iloveireland13, Yay! So happy we exceeded your expectations! We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and look forward to your return visit :)
Palatine, Il
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

The king room was ok. Clean with comfortable bed. The location is convenient to north Michigan Ave. Beware of the downstairs bar where a glass of red zinfandel is $18. Stay at the hotel but socialize somewhere else.

Room Tip: Get a corner room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi kyf, thank you for choosing dana hotel and spa for your recent stay. While I was happy to read you enjoyed the guestrooms, I was sorry to see that you were not happy with our pricing the in restaurant. We appreciate your feedback and hope you give us another try!
Amsterdam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

In chicago for a conference and had preferred the James before, I chose to go to the Dana this time. The rooms and rates seemed appealing and practical, however, it was an experience of contrasts.
Check in was quick and clear. Got a great room on the 24th floor. Stayed in many a hotel but I really enjoyed the room, top to bottom glass windows facing the downtown chicago, which must be one of the best city views. Great linens, proper, well equipped minibar, good free wifi. Great products from Lather. Nice central location in chicago.
However, poor sound isolation. I arrived saturday night which appearantly is the nights out for party people in the hotel. There is a rooftop bar which i enjoyed until very late but much worse were the obnoxiously loud party people next door which i could follow with every word and drink. Sound proofing is a means of privacy in a hotel, and this was NOT present. The restaurant downstairs was devoid of any ambiance. Merely a passing through place. On checking out the clerk could not be disturbed. So minus on the service.
Went to a steakhouse in a nearby hotel and the place was bustling with so many folks for the conference. The dana was sadly silent and empty. But great great room, good location, and soundproofing would help

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
dana_hotel_mgt, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear cprm, Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. We appreciate your feedback. I was very happy to see you enjoyed the room and the amenities. My sincerest apologies for the various deficiencies you experienced during your stay. I do hope you try us again since your description is not what our guests typically experience!
Londonderry, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I've stayed at the Dana a number of time. It has an upscale modern urban feel. Great decor. Cool roof bar. The rooms are small but unique with balconies. This last room was on the 7th floor and the room was definitely not level - you could feel it walking and the sliding door to the closet/bathroom kept sliding on its own. The showers are a cool glass room but the shower head in the last one was loose and couldn't focus (like an out of control hose), fortunately there are two heads so no real problem. The restaurant on the first floor was good for breakfast. Good food but they blast loud funk music from the '70s. It's so loud it detracts from the feel of the cool hotel. I would still try another stay, but I hope they cut the music volume and addres some minor maintenance issues. The location is great.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Pdubuque, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Thank you for letting us know about the various deficiencies you experienced. With the slower season upon us, we are ensuring all of our guestrooms are maintained at the highest standards. We appreciate you returning and hope to see you again soon!
Crown Point, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Living in Northwest Indiana, it is wonderful to have the city of Chicago 30-45 minutes away. We have stayed in a lot of hotels in the city, and most of them have been excellent. I found out about the Dana Hotel and Spa from the travel and leasure magazine I was reading while I was getting my oil changed. I had an excellent stay. The room (a corner king) was fantastic. The floor to ceiling windows, really let you know you were in the city. They windows do have room darkening shades if you want to let them down. The bed was comfortable. The rainshower shower head in the bathroom, was great. We enjoyed breakfast at the hotel restaurant and the staff was excellent. We happened upon a great irish pub (Pippins) within walking distance and had a great time. I will return to the Dana the next time I need a weekend overnighter.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
dana_hotel_mgt, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear steve m, how cool that you just happened upon our hotel! I am glad you read that magazine while you were waiting for your car :) So happy you enjoyed your stay and you are close enough to return soon!

Been to dana hotel and spa? Share your experiences!