“Very hip hotel in great location!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of dana hotel and spa

Save Saved
You added dana hotel and spa to your Saves list
dana hotel and spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   660 North State Street, Chicago, IL 60654   |
Ranked #51 of 167 hotels in Chicago
Lake Orion, Michigan, United States
“Very hip hotel in great location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Being a fan of The Four Seasons, but needing a more price-friendly hotel for a one night stay, my friend found Dana Hotel &Spa, near the heart of the The Miracle Mile downtown. Only a 7 block walk to Tiffany and all the best shopping. Very safe and fresh neighborhood as well. Hotel Valet Parking $40/night. But at $250/night for two, I was worried it might be a dump as it seemed too cheap for Chicago.

The staff, from the doorman and bellman to restaurant staff were incredibly friendly and super accommodating. A great first impression!

The decor is totally hip and cool; modern and sleek, and interesting multi-levels for the bar, restaurant, lobby. Just an usual lay-out with great eye appeal. So far, so good.

The room was a fabulous surprise! I don't know if it was because it was a midweek night, but we were upgraded from a queen to king room without asking! We did reserve a corner room and it was FANTASTIC!

Ultra sleek black furniture, high quality all white linens and down comforter, nice desk set up and reading chair with a proper floor lamp, and floor to ceiling windows showing a great view of the cityscape. And being this is a nice neighborhood, nothing ugly to look at! There's two types of roll down shades offered: either a gauzy semi-view of the outdoors, or a total blackout shade.

The bathroom was beautiful. Double sink and enough counter space for two women with lots of make-up, to share the same space at once! A very large rainforest walk in shower with one wall being all glass, facing into the bedroom. But there is a curtain to pull across in the bedroom for shower privacy. Very nice shampoos and toiletries, all made with herbs. Good quality soft towels.

Very ample drawer space and closet space. Very cool lighting and lamps. Polished dark wood floor and rough cement walls with artistic shaping.

Sadly we had no time to use the spa. But the rooftop bar is so cool with 5:00 cocktails and munchies.

In conclusion, I was blown-away by this hotel. I would definitely return and not even miss my beloved Four Seasons at three times the price!

Don't hesitate to stay here. Dana is a boutique hotel with only two (maybe three?), locations in other cities. This might of been even more fun than the Madonna concert we came to see!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
dana_hotel_mgt, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Carol C, it sounds like you had a fantastic stay, thank you for the great review. It was so nice to read your review and share with our staff, thank you for the lovely comments. You must come back soon to try the spa as well, just to make your experience complete ;)

1,125 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for two nights for a wedding and weren't impressed on several accounts. For starters the elevators were malfunctioning to the point an employee had to be called to come up to your floor to get you, this was the case the entire 2 days we stayed. Our corner room was comfortable enough albeit a little cramped. The room was worn around the edges with chipped wood and paint in various spots, glitter on the desk chair (guessing some partying went on with a previous guest and some company). The bathroom was also a bit small. Being Chicago, there are far more hotel options and in my opinion far better options. I probably wouldn't stay here again. My preferred hotel is the Park Hyatt on the higher end and the Omni for a more affordable option.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
dana_hotel_mgt, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear drew3114, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your honest feedback and we are disappointed that you did not have a better experience with us. Please be assured that our elevator situation is completely repaired, and we apologize for any inconvenience this caused during your stay.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Great stay here for 6 nights in November! Service was great everywhere and all staff were friendly and helpful. We enjoyed the lovely and cozy rooms very much; there were nice toiletries as well which were replenished daily. The beds and pillows were comfortable. Only thing is that the floor to ceiling windows were not tinted so we had to draw all the blinds once we entered the room-especially at night- which meant we couldnt enjoy the views so much. The 24 hr gym was a plus. Overall, a great stay here and we were very pleased. Will definitely come again!

• Stayed November 2012
dana_hotel_mgt, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Dnahk, thank you for choosing dana hotel and spa for your six night stay in November! We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and for the fabulous Trip Advisor review. See you soon :)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I loved looking out at all the lights through the long glass windows in my corner room. the rooftop bar with the open pit fireplace was da bomb. I also liked the location and the hot trendy bar on the first floor. I would definitely go back and stay there and also because it is one block from MBurger which serves the best most juiciest burgers, fries and floats.

Room Tip: corner rooms give an excellent view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hi Candice F, thank you for a great review. We are happy you enjoyed our location and amenities! Please come see us again soon :)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

The staff went the extra mile to accommodate all requests. The laundry service was very effective and the location is excellent, with a spectacular view both from my room and the terrace. However, these advantages could not unfortunately rescue the serious disadvantages. The hotel is badly in need of renovation. The bathroom was old and then I tried to use the plug of the bath tub the rusty old thing literally fell apart. A spectacular room with a view is a good idea but pulling down six double curtains with rusty manual tools every night was less good (an electrical system for pulling down all the twelve curtains would help a lot). The heating/air conditioning system was one of the most noisy I experienced, giving the choice from keeping it and suffer the noise or shutting it off and suffer the cold. The breakfast menu is poor and renouncing the usual breakfast buffet as this hotel does is only good if service is quick - which in my case was not, it took 40 minutes to have granola with yogurth and a fruit smoothie, priced - together with coffee and juice - an exaggerated $35. The great location and the very friendly staff deserve investments by the owners to renovate the hotel and improving how it operates.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear LordLister, we appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and let us know about your experience. My sincerest apologies for the various deficiencies you experienced during your stay. We continually improve our product and your suggestions are helpful. If you would like to try us again, please call the hotel directly and speak to a manager in Reservations so they can make sure your next stay is perfection!
boston, ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

The Dana Hotel is just an amazing place to stay and I am always happy to come back here. The bellmen, TJ and Christopher are always friendly, welcoming and remember me each time. I had a corner king suite and everything from the comfortable beds to the awesome showers made my business trip that much more enjoyable. The room service staff were always prompt and so friendly...even at 6AM!!! I only had breakfast in the restaurant one morning but the wait staff were so GREAT! The food was excellent and the service even better!! I decided to treat myself to a spa treatment and Geraldine was fantastic! She sat me down and really listened to what I wanted in my facial---the result was unbelievably awesome! I looked refreshed and relaxed. I absolutely love the Dana Hotel and always recommend it to clients and friends!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
dana_hotel_mgt, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear anirishgirlinboston, we really appreciate the great review. Thank you especially for mentioning staff members that really made your stay special. They really appreciate the recognition. We couldn't be happier after hearing about your experience and hope to see you again soon!
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I recently stayed at the Dana while in Chicago on business. This is my 2nd time staying in 2 years. I thought the first time the great service was by fluke; not so. I love that this is not a big hotel so it doesn't have that busy lobby with guests zooming in and out. The gym is a good size to have a decent work-out if for some reason you cant go for a run outside. The rooms are just lovely and it's nice to have a proper balcony where I could sit and enjoy a cup of tea and the end of the day. The conscierge manager, Tim Anderson, gave me some great recommendations on where to eat and was wonderful in assisting to forward a parcel to Florida that did not arrive before I checked out. The location of the hotel is close to some great restaurants, all within walking distance. And Magnificent Mile is only about 2 blocks away. I could also walk across the river to Millenium Park to take some pics of Cloud Gate sculpture.

I tried the spa previously and enjoyed it very much. Beautiful and quiet.

The beds deserve a special mention. These are possible the best beds ever! It's like sleeping in a cloud. The mattress is just the right touch and the cover is like a cloud; so are the pillows. Great comfort to someone who is from a different climate and in Chicago during the colder months.

All in all, a great stay. I would stay here again and would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear 88V_A_F88, thank you for your awesome review. I am so glad you appreciated our Serta Enrapture Eurotop Mattresses. We get a lot of great compliments on them. Also, thank you for the special mention about Tim Anderson, I will make sure he sees this!

Been to dana hotel and spa? Share your experiences!