“A trendy spot but needs some improvements” 3 of 5 stars
Review of dana hotel and spa

Save Saved
You added dana hotel and spa to your Saves list
Hotels.com Expedia.com
dana hotel and spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   660 North State Street, Chicago, IL 60654   |
Ranked #39 of 167 hotels in Chicago
Atlanta, Georgia
“A trendy spot but needs some improvements”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for two nights for a wedding and weren't impressed on several accounts. For starters the elevators were malfunctioning to the point an employee had to be called to come up to your floor to get you, this was the case the entire 2 days we stayed. Our corner room was comfortable enough albeit a little cramped. The room was worn around the edges with chipped wood and paint in various spots, glitter on the desk chair (guessing some partying went on with a previous guest and some company). The bathroom was also a bit small. Being Chicago, there are far more hotel options and in my opinion far better options. I probably wouldn't stay here again. My preferred hotel is the Park Hyatt on the higher end and the Omni for a more affordable option.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
dana_hotel_mgt, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear drew3114, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your honest feedback and we are disappointed that you did not have a better experience with us. Please be assured that our elevator situation is completely repaired, and we apologize for any inconvenience this caused during your stay.

1,068 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Great stay here for 6 nights in November! Service was great everywhere and all staff were friendly and helpful. We enjoyed the lovely and cozy rooms very much; there were nice toiletries as well which were replenished daily. The beds and pillows were comfortable. Only thing is that the floor to ceiling windows were not tinted so we had to draw all the blinds once we entered the room-especially at night- which meant we couldnt enjoy the views so much. The 24 hr gym was a plus. Overall, a great stay here and we were very pleased. Will definitely come again!

• Stayed November 2012
dana_hotel_mgt, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Dnahk, thank you for choosing dana hotel and spa for your six night stay in November! We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and for the fabulous Trip Advisor review. See you soon :)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I loved looking out at all the lights through the long glass windows in my corner room. the rooftop bar with the open pit fireplace was da bomb. I also liked the location and the hot trendy bar on the first floor. I would definitely go back and stay there and also because it is one block from MBurger which serves the best most juiciest burgers, fries and floats.

Room Tip: corner rooms give an excellent view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hi Candice F, thank you for a great review. We are happy you enjoyed our location and amenities! Please come see us again soon :)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

The staff went the extra mile to accommodate all requests. The laundry service was very effective and the location is excellent, with a spectacular view both from my room and the terrace. However, these advantages could not unfortunately rescue the serious disadvantages. The hotel is badly in need of renovation. The bathroom was old and then I tried to use the plug of the bath tub the rusty old thing literally fell apart. A spectacular room with a view is a good idea but pulling down six double curtains with rusty manual tools every night was less good (an electrical system for pulling down all the twelve curtains would help a lot). The heating/air conditioning system was one of the most noisy I experienced, giving the choice from keeping it and suffer the noise or shutting it off and suffer the cold. The breakfast menu is poor and renouncing the usual breakfast buffet as this hotel does is only good if service is quick - which in my case was not, it took 40 minutes to have granola with yogurth and a fruit smoothie, priced - together with coffee and juice - an exaggerated $35. The great location and the very friendly staff deserve investments by the owners to renovate the hotel and improving how it operates.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear LordLister, we appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and let us know about your experience. My sincerest apologies for the various deficiencies you experienced during your stay. We continually improve our product and your suggestions are helpful. If you would like to try us again, please call the hotel directly and speak to a manager in Reservations so they can make sure your next stay is perfection!
boston, ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

The Dana Hotel is just an amazing place to stay and I am always happy to come back here. The bellmen, TJ and Christopher are always friendly, welcoming and remember me each time. I had a corner king suite and everything from the comfortable beds to the awesome showers made my business trip that much more enjoyable. The room service staff were always prompt and so friendly...even at 6AM!!! I only had breakfast in the restaurant one morning but the wait staff were so GREAT! The food was excellent and the service even better!! I decided to treat myself to a spa treatment and Geraldine was fantastic! She sat me down and really listened to what I wanted in my facial---the result was unbelievably awesome! I looked refreshed and relaxed. I absolutely love the Dana Hotel and always recommend it to clients and friends!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
dana_hotel_mgt, Manager at dana hotel and spa, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear anirishgirlinboston, we really appreciate the great review. Thank you especially for mentioning staff members that really made your stay special. They really appreciate the recognition. We couldn't be happier after hearing about your experience and hope to see you again soon!
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I recently stayed at the Dana while in Chicago on business. This is my 2nd time staying in 2 years. I thought the first time the great service was by fluke; not so. I love that this is not a big hotel so it doesn't have that busy lobby with guests zooming in and out. The gym is a good size to have a decent work-out if for some reason you cant go for a run outside. The rooms are just lovely and it's nice to have a proper balcony where I could sit and enjoy a cup of tea and the end of the day. The conscierge manager, Tim Anderson, gave me some great recommendations on where to eat and was wonderful in assisting to forward a parcel to Florida that did not arrive before I checked out. The location of the hotel is close to some great restaurants, all within walking distance. And Magnificent Mile is only about 2 blocks away. I could also walk across the river to Millenium Park to take some pics of Cloud Gate sculpture.

I tried the spa previously and enjoyed it very much. Beautiful and quiet.

The beds deserve a special mention. These are possible the best beds ever! It's like sleeping in a cloud. The mattress is just the right touch and the cover is like a cloud; so are the pillows. Great comfort to someone who is from a different climate and in Chicago during the colder months.

All in all, a great stay. I would stay here again and would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear 88V_A_F88, thank you for your awesome review. I am so glad you appreciated our Serta Enrapture Eurotop Mattresses. We get a lot of great compliments on them. Also, thank you for the special mention about Tim Anderson, I will make sure he sees this!
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

There's not much more you could ask for in a hotel; the staff was very friendly and helpful, the room and bathroom was both comfortable and clean and the location is perfect.

Location: Only a few blocks from the shopping hub on Michigan Ave with tons of great restaurants and bars on the way.

Dining: No complaints on my food or service whether it was calling for room service, having breakfast in the restaurant or grabbing a drink or cup of coffee at the bar. The staff is very friendly and attentive and my food was all very good.

Room and Bathroom: Beds were very comfortable, bathroom and bedroom were both very clean. Not a lot of clothing storage space though- The closet has about 6 hangers and there is no drawer space so we had to live out of our suitcases (which for me, really wasnt an issue)

Spa: Great ambience and my massage was great. The steamroom at the end was the cherry on top.

Vertigo: The rooftop bar is spectacular; from the outdoor fire pit, views of the city, and the decor inside, everything was great about it. Again, friendly staff and great drinks, too!.

I can't think of a real complaint after my 4 day stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear NewJerseySloot, thank you for spending four days with us. We really appreciate your thoughtful and positive review. We can't wait to wow you again :)

Been to dana hotel and spa? Share your experiences!