“A Great Intro to my new Home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chicago Food Planet Food Tours

Chicago Food Planet Food Tours
Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)
+1 312-818-2170
Website
Improve this listing
Book Now

Ranked #4 of 202 activities in Chicago
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Rated 'Best Chicago Tour' by Lonely Planet and featured on The Today Show (NBC), USA Today and Bon Appetit, Chicago Food Planet Food Tours offer delicious 2-3 hour food tasting events focused exclusively in Chicago's historic off-the-beaten-path neighborhoods near downtown including the Gold Coast, Chinatown, Lincoln Park, Bucktown, Old Town and Wicker Park. Suitable for all age groups and fitness levels, each walking tour provides a non-touristy, local experience so you feel like a native Chicagoan. The guided Food Tours include mouth-watering food samples, enough for a hearty lunch, from unique specialty food stores, local restaurants and ethnic eateries while providing a detailed insiders view of Chicago's most famous communities- their rich histories, treasured architecture, dazzling entertainment offerings and restaurant recommendations. Tours start at $35 and depart daily every half hour starting at 11am.
Chicago, Illinois
“A Great Intro to my new Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I just moved to Chicago from a small cow town and was a little overwhelmed at all the choices of where to eat. After taking the Bucktown/Wicker Park, not only did I learn the good places to eat, but I also learned about the history and culture of this new neighborhood I will be calling my home. The food was great, from tasty Hot Dogs and George's to the falafel deliciousness at Sultan's Market and everywhere in between. This tour makes me want to find new places with great stories behind them whenever I travel. The guide was outgoing, engaging, and had a very positive attitude that kept the whole tour feel included and involved. Now I have places to take all my friends when they visit. I can't wait to take the other tours!

Visited September 2012

Dayton, Ohio
3 attraction reviews
“Great intro to North Chicago Neighborhoods”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

Looking for something to do on a romantic weekend (especially something our kids would not enjoy), I found this on Trip Advisor. We were so happy to have done it the first full day of our trip as we then revisited many of the locations the following day to eat full meals and to shop. Of special inferest is the Spice Shop, heady with its aromas that fill even the sidewalk a few doors down. The educational presentation on the spices was very interesting. In addition to the lovely food, which constitutes a substantial meal in its entirety, we also enjoyed the architecture and the walk. The walking isn't strenuous; our tour included a woman in her 80s. This acticity is probably more interesting to adults...exactly what we wanted!

Fennville, Michigan
“What a Delightful Surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

In planning for a long weekend in Chicago, one of our group found Chicago Food Planet Tours and suggested we give it a try. We were very lucky in several ways. First, we chose the Bucktown/Wicker Park Food Tasting and Cultural Tour, which was just the right mix of tastes, walking and history for us. Second, our guide - Gina (sp?) was energetic, engaging, knowledgeable and clearly cared for the neighborhoods as well her clients. Third, we got the last tour of the season! The highlights for me were George's Hot Dogs - accompanied by a seminar on what makes a true Chicago Dog; the best hot chocolate I've ever had at, appropriately, Hot Chocolate; my first - not my last - falafal pita; and the blend of science and gastronomy at iCream.
The tastings are well paced and spaced, and you do get a good walk in as part of the experience. We'll certainly try one of the other Chicago Food Planet Tours on upcoming visits, and will definitely return to the Bucktown/Wicker Park area.

Visited December 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Chicago Food Planet Food Tour: Wicker Park/Bucktown”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

If you are interested in learning about the history and architecture of Chicago as well
as sampling a schmorgesborg of delightful munchies and libations of this neighborhood,
this is a tour for you! Our family group had a blast!

marshall levine

Visited November 2012
Toronto, Canada
3 attraction reviews
“Wicker Park/Bucktown Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This was an excellent tour. It was informative and delicious. Our guide Lisa did a great job of explaining how each restaurant fit into the culture of the area, and the story of Chicago. I would definitely recommend this tour to anyone visiting Chicago and I will be sure to try the other tours on my next visit.

Visited November 2012