“Slowly improving...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Berghoff Restaurant

The Berghoff Restaurant
17 West Adams St, O'Hare Airport, Chicago, IL 60603 (Downtown / The Loop)
312 427 3170
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Berghoff Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #438 of 7,737 Restaurants in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: German
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown / The Loop
Cross street: State Street
Transit: Located in the heart of Chicago's Loop, easily accessible by CTA's Red, Blue, Green, Brown, Orange, and Pink lines and numerous bus routes.
Description: The Berghoff Restaurant is a Chicago landmark, serving German-style cuisine and culture since 1898. One of the oldest family-run businesses in the nation, it is now run by fourth generation, Carlyn Berghoff. At today’s Berghoff, menus have evolved to add newer, lighter and more contemporary dishes, but it’s still the same old Berghoff, down to the famous root beer. Open for lunch and dinner, the Berghoff’s wide variety of appetizers, salads, sandwiches, and entrées is sure to satisfy everyone in your party. With fresh ingredients, seasonal menus and vegetarian & gluten-free dishes, it's “tradition with a twist!” Private Dining - Berghoff Catering & Restaurant Group provides a truly unique event experience within the setting of the historic Berghoff building. Host your next event in one of our four private rooms. Contact us to start planning today!
San Francisco, California
“Slowly improving...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

I came here again wondering if the food was improved like it was in the glory days. I have great memories of The Berghoff as better years ago. I ordered their Braised Ox Joints and my friend ordered their Rahm Schnitzel. The Rahm Schnitzel was unacceptable and was sent back without a problem and he ordered Braised Ox Joints as well. The meat was falling off the bone and was delicious. We also ordered their potato pancakes as well. Service was good, especially when my friend couldn't eat Rahm Schnitzel. The waiter quickly offered my friend another choice. The Berghoff is slowly improving once again.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Columbia, Missouri
“Good food, bad service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

As someone from a German family I am always excited to go to a proper German restaurant. The Berghoff fell short unfortunately. The food was decent and the menu had authentic German dishes but the services was pathetic.

After ordering the waitress came back to inform us they were out of one of the dishes we selected and then proceeded to list of a laundry list of dishes they were also out of. After finishing one glass of ice tea she came back to inform me that they were also out of that (how is that even possible these days). They rushed us out of there even though the place was basically empty.

If you must have German food and you are in the city I suppose it may be worth it; otherwise stay away.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Illinois
“Tasty German Style Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

Being a local institution that has been around since the early 1900s, I had to check out this place. Their beer is decent (not the best, not the worst). Their food was very tasty. I had the three game sausages with roasted root vegetables and spaetzle in brown butter. My colleagues also really enjoyed their foods as well.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tampa, Florida
“No Frills, Decent German Food in Chicago”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

The Berghoff has been in Chicago for many years, and is well known. Since I was staying within walking distance of the restaurant, my friend and I decided to try it. The portions are hearty, but the food is just average. It's a good place for lunch, but it's very plain and no frills. Recommend the jager schnitzel, red cabbage, and spaetzles. It's a big lunch you can walk off around the Loop afterwards. The food was tasty, but seemed to be warmed over as if it had been sitting for a while. My European friend was not impressed. The service is friendly, but not attentive. We were greeted immediately and sat right away, but once our food was served, the server was nowhere to be found. It's a decent place if you're in the mood for German food, but nothing about it made me want to recommend it to others.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Barbeau, Michigan
“Best root beer ever.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Been to this place a couple different times. Love the food and the atmosphere. The root beer is the best we've ever had. I wish Berghoff's was a little closer to where we live. Nine hours is a little to far to go for a frosted glass of heavenly goodness....or is it. We could make it there by tomorrow morning. Try it, you'll love it.

• Visited August 2013