“Best ribs ever!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mrs. Murphy & Sons Irish Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,442 of 8,392 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Irish, Scottish, British, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Byron
Transit: Brown Line 2 blocks, taxis plentiful.
Boston, Massachusetts
“Best ribs ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I'm from chicago originally and tried ribs all over the country and I have always been partial to Chicago ribs. We tried theirs at the Rib fest which they had won for the past 2 years and these are by far some of the best I ever had. I can't wait to head back into town and go to the restaurant and pig out.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Great ribs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

Great stained glass at the front door. Great ribs, service excellent. Would go there again for dinner

Visited April 2012
chicago
“Go for the appetizers but hang out in the pub”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

I went there with eight friends on a Saturday night and the place was packed. Luckily we had reservations. The pub area is set up just like a traditional Irish pub, which was quite pleasant to hang out in with the interesting mix of patrons. There were hipsters, mods, rock- a- billies, olds (of which I am one...) preppy college kids and families, all eating and drinking in the establishment, so it looked like it was going to be a lot of fun.

We were seated immediately and had ample time to review the menu. We ordered a variety of appetizers from:
the Boxtys - not like any boxty I'm familiar with, but it was good, it was more like a flat samosa, or a fried, potato stuffed tater tot as opposed to a crepe- like dosa. Comparing Irish food to Indian food, anyway. It was still good, just not what I had expected,
the Rarebit - "too cheesy" said one diner, "and they seemed to have used stale french bread" we observed.
The bread that came out as we were seated, however, was excellent Irish brown bread served with bacon butter. We ate it all. We also ordered the bbq rib appitizers, which were wonderful. The meat fell off of the bone and the Guinness bbq sauce was flavorful.

As my main, I ordered the bbq salmon salad. I'd asked about the size of it and the helpful waiter told me that it was large enough to be a main course, so I took his advice.
The salmon was done to my specification (medium) and was perfect. Essentially the same bbq sauce, as used on the ribs, was on the salmon and that was great.

What wasn't great was the idea to char the greens (romaine lettuce and chopped iceberg) with a propane torch. The taste was all propane and the romaine looked burned and ugly as opposed to charred, and the iceberg bits looked brown and bruised.

I didn't order dessert but several in our party did and they were mildly disappointed by the strange texture of the molten chocolate cake.

All in all, it wasn't a terrible meal, but it wasn't anything I would write home about.

The appetizers were great, and if I return, I would go to the pub side and have a few pints while enjoying the ribs and the game. I'd probably eat here again but wouldn't go out of my way to do it.

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Charleston, South Carolina
“Good food, good service.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

Not a casual Irish pub, but enjoyed the food. We had an appetizer portion of the ribs...wish I had gone entree because they were good. I tested them on their shrimp and grits because I'm from Charleston, SC which is kind of the specialty. I was surprised with how good it was, so kudos. Waiter was very friendly and casual which I appreciated.

• Visited April 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“More upscale than I generally want out of my Irish pubs, but the Chicago Tribune recently rated their fish & chips...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2008

More upscale than I generally want out of my Irish pubs, but the Chicago Tribune recently rated their fish & chips the best in the city and the place has tons of charm including a huge fireplace.