“one night stay” 3 of 5 stars

Unique Suites Hotel
and 1 more site!
You added Unique Suites Hotel to your Saves list
Unique Suites Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   920 W Lincoln Avenue, Charleston, IL 61920-2427 (Formerly Worthington Inn)   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Charleston
Minnesota
“one night stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Making a college visit - arrived late, room was nothing fancy but was clean. Breakfast was nothing special, average to other hotels. Not too many places to stay, they would benefit by putting a little more into rooms & breakfast

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Inverness, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Based on decent reviews from months ago when I booked the trip I thought /was told by staff that I was getting two connecting Deluxe King Suites. That was about Nov./Dec. 2014. When I showed up in April this sprawling complex did not look so much like Suites but like an Apartment complex turned motor inn. I parked and went in to get my keys with my friend and suddenly out connecting suites were not even in the same building. I asked how could that be it was confirmed months in advance and was told well that just how it worked out. So we went to check out these Deluxe King Suites that had been "remodeled" . I went to my room cell phone in hand and had a look around. First it was not a suite. Second thing that smacks at you was the bedspread that was oddly lumpy leaving the impression it was washed instead of dry cleaned or something. My attention turned to the dust on the blinds and everywhere else. However the most precious moment was lifting up the toilet seat and lid to find still very wet urine. I then walked to the next building to see my friends room. Same dust festival, but instead of wet urine his toilet lid hang long pubic hairs stuck too it. I took pictures as I went with time stamps to show the " Supervisor/Manager/Maybe Owner? When I returned to the front desk no one was around and finally the above boss guy asked what I wanted. A total refund and a reservation at a true suites hotel in the area. I very carefully explain what had happened from reservation up until this point and showed him pictures of our rooms. He wanted to see for himself so I gladly took him on a tour to verify each item. At some point in the process he told me that the hotel really does not have suites except for one that is on long term lease. I guess that is what makes it unique. He also explained the odd bedspreads were supposed to be like that.......? Finally satisfied and humiliated he called around and found us a really good product actually. As we were leaving they were doing a sound check in the bar that was so loud it hurt. This place is a dirty shame, and anyone rating it above deplorable obviously lives under a bridge the rest of the year.

Room Tip: There is no good room book somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I scan previous reviews when planning a trip, places to stay and places to eat and places to visit. They provide some guidelines but they aren't gospel because for every good review there usually is a bad review. Which is what can be said of Unique Suites Hotel in Charleston. At one time, it was struggling, in the kitchen and the living rooms. But it has undergone a thorough remodeling and the new management appears to be on the right track. We had no complaints. The Brick House Bar & Grill, which I also plan to review, is the best dining experience in town. The 77 rooms on two floors are big and clean and comfortable. There is an outdoor pool, fitness center, free hot continental breakfast and dry cleaning and laundry service. Rooms come with cable TV, free wifi, microwave and refrigerator Location, a mile from Eastern Illinois University and Lincoln historical sites and six miles from Interstate 57, makes it a convenient choice. A good night's sleep and a good meal. So what's not to like?

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a king-sized bed.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Charleston, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2015

We ate at the restaurant for dinner on Friday night. The Alphredo pasta was watery (gross) and the chicken tasted bad. The bar was pretty cool and it was a nice setting. This kept me from rating it a 1.

Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2014

I have stayed there a couple of nights, and overall it was ok. The room was fairly clean, but if they spent more time on the tile in the bathroom, it could be cleaner. The overall appearance needs works, but it is not bad. The front desk never seems to have anyone there, and that is an issue for me. Having a phone to call staff for assistance, is just not a good presentation. The in room TV needs updating, but the beds were comfortable. Overall a fairly average hotel. The WiFi as excellent It was free, and the speed is some of the fastest I have gotten in a hotel.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Recently attended a high school reunion in Charleston and needed two nights lodging there. I was surprised to find a "nicer" hotel IN Charleston--one had been sorely lacking for years.

Upon arrival, I was warmly greeted, advised of the amenities--complimentary breakfast in the Brickhouse Restaurant, that restaurant's hours and those of the really lovely bar. My room was in the back of the property, a quiet spot as I'd requested.

As for the room, I was pleasantly surprised at the transformation from what had originally been a Holiday Inn. Everything was neat and very clean, the security was good, the furnishing were above average. And, the bed was very comfortable. The only thing I missed was a full length mirror.

The breakfast offerings were average. I mentioned to Jeff at the front desk that real silverware and dishes would be appropriate to the image the hotel wants to convey. He agreed, and I hope management heeds my advice.

I did not use the pool however it looked very clean and inviting. I did not notice any "membership" families which other reviewers complained about.

I did have a drink at the bar--met an old classmate there before we went on to other get-togethers. The pours were generous and the bar tenders were super! I especially liked the groovy glass bar top. As recommended, the spinach dip was great!

I met other friends (from EIU) for brunch and Sunday. We had a prime spot round table, close to the amazing spead. Hearty breakfast fare, good "dinner" type dishes, salads, and delicious desserts. The service here was also very professional and unobtrusive as we were all busy reminiscing.

I would definitely recommend Unique Suites to anyone travelling to Charleston. I only wish our reunion had been held there too!

Room Tip: Quiet rooms seem to be at the rear of the property, facing an open field.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Santa Rosa, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

The new folks really want to be helpful and were actually waiting at the front door to welcome us! Nice touch! The room was good...clean. The staff was fine...polite and responsive. The restaurant was struggling as the new owner was making major changes and they were out of a lot of items. The bar was also out of what would be standard beer and hard liquor. That should be easy to change and may have changed already. Check it out before you sit down. I would consider going back in the future but would check things out first...this could easily become an above average review with some tweeking on their part...

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Unique Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!