Just when we thought we couldn't do any better choosing our accommodations in Dominica we arrived at Mermaid's. We do not have much more to add to the kind words of others who stayed in this place and I always skip Tripadvisor reviews that are too long. So in short:
- Cabin: neat and clean, private and jungle view (and Tim promised to put in a bottle opener)
- Environment: beautiful
- Mermaid's pool: beautiful spot, lovely water
- The best of hosts; caring for guests and Dominica
No bad words, but some things to take note of:
- Mermaid's is on the undeveloped side of Dominica. You can buy some bread in neighbouring villages, but take the rest from other places like Roseau.
- The last km to Mermaid's is a rather rough road. And this is an understatement. It seems about everybody has a 4*4 in Dominica so that shouldn't be a problem. Don't even think about tackling this stretch in a 'normal' car or doing it in the dark for the first time.
- This place not for people looking for a party, although Tim and Sam might throw in a BBQ now and then.
For us these remarks were no spoilers but added to the charm of the place. Just what we were looking for. We fell in love with the place. 5 stars.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mermaid's Secret currently offers a choice of accommodation options in either stylish, comfortable and fully equipped cabins or fully fitted Yurts for the more discerning camper. Located in the beautiful, lush Dominican rainforest on a site surrounded on three sides by three rivers with pools suitable for bathing and a riverside bar. ... more less