“Lovely hotel!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Touareg

You added Hotel Riu Touareg to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Touareg
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Urbanizacao Lacacao Lote 13 | Praia Lacacao, Santa Monica, Boa Vista, Cape Verde   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Santa Monica
Porto, Portugal
“Lovely hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

Staff nice and friendly. Safety. Good facilities. Quality and variety food. Excellent cleaness. Excellent rooms. Adult area with swimming pool and bar. Direct access to the beach. Best rooms are near the pool. Amazing beach but windy and not calm sea. Warm water. Hotel very isolated and to go out only with a guide. Poor and almost desert island.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view to the pool/sea.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,440)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Peterborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

Myself and my partner have just returned back from a two week stay in the Riu Touareg.
I'll Start with the small amount of negatives i have found and end with the huge amount of positives :-)

The Negatives...
1) The flight is very cramped, however this is most likely out of the travel agents control, it is due to the size of the airport, so is just something you have to put up with... It does however go quite quickly.
2) The transfer, again down to the Islands road. It takes about 40-50 mins to get to the hotel on a cobble road... very bumpy although quite fun :-)
3) The evening resturant, me and my partner found that this let the hotel down slightly in regards to it being a 5 Star. Although there is a massive selection of dishes, we found them to be slightly bland and all tasted the same. (would be great if you love Veal) However we never went hungry, as every night there is pizza and chips. :-) The resturant service was very unbalanced, with some tables having drinks brought over by the staff and others not even being acknowledged. I do understand however that this is a new hotel and the staff are new and still learning.
4) Specialist Resturants... I really wouldn't bother to be honest. The food is the same as in the main resturant, and doesnt even have waitor service, which would normally come standard with a 5 star hotel.
5) The evening entertainment... Shocking! The team themselves are brilliant and try extremely hard, however the Riu Evening Entertainment Programme needs to be sorted out. Consisted of dancing every night and i feel sorry for anyone that has to watch the 'Crazy Show' or 'Jukebox' These 2 shows are so poor there laughable. Although 'African Heartbeat' was slightly better.

Now to the Positives...

1) The Island is BEAUTIFUL! It is so untouched, you can walk for miles and see nothing but gorgeous golden sand. The sea is very rough, but is so peaceful to hearing them crashing against the sore. The people of Boa Vista are also amazingly friendly and welcoming :-)
2) The Hotel is lovely and looks like a sand castle :) Reception is huge and seating area is also huge with plently of seat for you to sit somewhere. Its really nice to see the Hotel Manager walking around to.
The Shops are VERY pricey! 6E for a packet of pringles! But if you do any trips like the 4x4 you stop off in little villages where you can buy gifts, i would strongely recommend doing this as the gifts are so expensive.
3) The Room is big and very clean... The bed and pilliows are SOOO comfy, i wish i could have brought them home :-) Big Bathroom and nice to have 2 sinks and huge shower. The balcony is also a decent size.
4) Breakfast and Snacks are really good, we used the main resturant for breakfast and had everything you could need and is tasty to. The snack bar by the pool was where we ate our lunch, cheese and ham toasties are good :-)
5) Daytime entertainment, they really do try and was more or less something going on all the time. There was streches, aqua gym, volleyball, football, waterpolo, shooting, bingo, step classes, dance classes, shuffleboard and darts so something for everyone and there not to pushy either which is nice. p.s the 'Jiggy Jiggy Dance' is brilliant!
6) I would recommend doing the 4x4 island tour, its nice to get out the hotel and see the Island, This is an all day trip and does go off-road, so is EXTREMELY BUMPY especially on the way to the Shipwreck... with is an amazing sight... you can actually see it from the plane but it amazing to see up close :)
7) Reception staff are very efficent, we had to ring down a couple of times and where very helpful and quick to help.

All in all we had a lovely holiday, However just would not class it as a 5 star, but is certainly a very good 4 star and was sad to leave. We met a lovely couple out there and geniunely had a fab holiday... Go before it gets to commericalised as it will ruin it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Sandbach, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011 via mobile

Those who have written negative reviews that made the likes of me and my boyfriend worry before we went are talking nonsense. The best resort I have been to by far.
It was our first holiday together after a busy exam period, we wanted somewhere to simply chill out and literally 'do nothing'. And that's exactly what we got.
Flight, admittedly, needs some alterations as its way to cramped for a 6hour flight, but it's well worth sticking out a few uncomfortable hours to arrive at such an idyllic and unspoilt location. Also, the in flight entertainment makes time fly by!
The airport as already stated is tiny! But very efficient and actually adds to the remote appeal of the holiday as it's not full of tourists and souvenirs.
The transfer I personally thought was great, a little hot on the bus, but seeing how barren the island was and how small the "second largest town on the island" was, made you appreciate how fantastic the hotel was, and personally made me feel petty to complain about the slightest thing having seen how the locals live.
Hotel was simply fantastic. Absolutely beautiful grounds, layout and bedroom was perfect. Sometimes there was a lingering smell of sewage around, but not for long at all and not strong. Everywhere was spotless which can be explained by the staff in my next point...
Some of the friendliest people I've ever met, particularly the waiting on staff, who clear up your plates seconds after finishing. Everyone was warm and greeting, I only regretted not being able to tip more of them as they worked so hard for obviously very little pay. A point that annoyed me was how rude some of the british guests were to them, laughing at their misunderstanding of English or becoming annoyed at it. My point to them is, learn their lingo, it's their country. And also, many people forgot their thankyous and smiles which really do go a long way as the staff deserve to be treated well considering all their hard efforts.
The beach was my personal highlight of the holiday, a deep and wide stretch of white sand which you can walk along for miles without passing a soul. Perfect for an evening before dinner. I found all sunbeds were taken around the pool by 11, however, only around a fifth of the beach's sunbeds were used which amazes me! Maybe people were taking the "don't go in the sea" lecture from some reviewers a little too seriously. You can go on the beach! Its a short walk from the bar and a much more peaceful area to relax with a book and hear the crashing waves.
The pool area was good, and you can manage to get a good spot if you're out before 9, but personally I found it more peaceful on the beach.
As for the sea, we had a yellow flag the whole week and my boyfriend loved being bashed around by the waves! Very strong pull back from the sea, I'll admit, but once you get past the break of the waves its fine for swimming and bobbing in the water. I'm concerned that people are afraid of going in after the incident a few weeks ago, however, yellow does mean its okay to some extents and it would be awful if people didn't take advantage of this beautiful part of the location simply from fear!
The food was personally not to my taste at the buffet. I feel bad saying this because the chefs work really hard, and it is personally just my taste that I found it all a bit oily. Breakfast however was perfect at the buffet, and there was always a great selection for all 3 meals.
We only ate at the asian restaurant as the other 2 weren't to our taste and in fact we went 3 times! The 2nd time I had to leave as I was ill (too much sun, nothing with the food!) And the reception desk were very understanding about squeezing us in the next night which was lovely of them. The asian restaurant was gorgeous, sushi particularly fab.
Didn't do any of the excursions as they were too overpriced, although the sand buggy tour sounded fun and would have gone on it if it were half the price! However, we did have a massage which was fantastic and well worth the money which at first appears quite pricey. The spa was lovely to go for a quiet chill and cool off, and the majority of the time we were the only 2 in there! Not sure if people are aware the hot tub facility is free, but it suited us if people didn't know!
Please do take the negative reviews and comments with a pinch of salt. I worried too much having read some before and it was completely unnecessary! If you do your research and realize that the location is in the middle of nowhere, you shouldn't have any surprises. Will 100% return one day, and hopefully soon before the rest of the resort is built as I feel this will ruin a key part of the holiday: seclusion and peacefulness.

• Stayed July 2011
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011 via mobile

We arrived at the touareg on the 2nd july. As people have said the flight is slightly cramped but dont let this put you off at all :), the room was very clean and quite big (we got a twin room), the maids clean it very well :), the food was amazing especially the bacon at breakfast :) there is a big range of food so you can have what you like! We went on 2 excursions the 4x4 trip and the Catamaran (adults only) and they were both brilliant we were served endless amounts of champagne on the catamaran :D the 4x4 was amazing it takes you all around the island, the viana dessert was amazing lovely whit sand dunes :D, the thomson reps were very helpfull, we forgot toothpaste and thy have spare if u forget anything :d
Overall our trip was FAB!!!

• Stayed July 2011
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

OK, let me set the scene so you know why I have given this review:-
We are a couple, no kids, over 50,do not smoke,wanted to get away from it all with peace and quiet, are not interested in 'entertainment',and work very hard so want to spend our money on the best holiday we can get.
So did we make the most of it - Yes we did.Will we be back - very unlikely.It was just not the holiday for us.At the risk of upsetting some of the other guests we shared our weeks with I will tell you the points which put us off going again, but first some good points:-
1) The beach is great but watch out for the sea.Please see the 'respect for the sea' forum for the reasons.
2) The hotel is very clean, grounds are well maintained, staff are helpful ( Nayra and Emilson especially ), food is generally very good ( sweets especially )
3) The main pool is excellent and very accessible, adult pool area gets a bit 'cliquey'
4) Drinks are fine but not top notch as you might expect.
5) Weather was hot with a pleasant breeze most days, ideal for sunbathing.

So what put us off....................?
1) The Smokers. There may be no smoking in rooms but people smoke on their balconies, outside the main restaurant at the open air tables, on the beach ( burying dimps in sand and not using ashtrays ) , in the main pool, on the sunloungers and at the bars. If you are not a smoker all this really does get on your wick, as there is no escape.
2) Restictions. If you want to sit by the beach, with a view of the stars, listening to the crickets, glass of all inclusive wine in your hand - forget it. The nearest open bar is a 10 minute walk.The beach bar closes at 6.00pm.Glass of wine on your balcony sir? up 3 flights of stairs, 10 minute plus walk, no lift? Our view of all inclusive is anywhere, anytime.Not being limited to where you can get your free drinks.
3) SORRY! Other Brits.Behaving like children, drinking all day 'cos they can, bagging sun beds at 6.00am, smoking and drinking in the pools, proud and loud anecdotes about partners getting jobs in blackpool night clubs? Not for us Im afraid.We do not socialise on holiday for this very reason.
4) The cleaners.Is it too much to ask if you are paying for the most expensive room in the hotel that you get your full quota of towels, toiletries, drinks etc every day.We thought it wasn't but got sick of pointing these issues out to supervisors who even then did not act!
5) The excursions.All the interesting ones are over £200.00 per head.It would have cost us an extra £1000 to do those we really wanted to, so we settled for the catamaran ( ha. entertainment with free booze in a controlled environment Jiggy Jiggy - no thanks ), and Sal Rei - its an experience, that is all I will say.
6) The entertaiment.Touareg x-factor my way.We do not do entertainment.
7) Lack of exclusivity. See above, restaurants all except gourmet buffet style, generally same food every day at beach bar and main restaurant.

Reps scores - Shaun 9/10, Ruth 6/10, Lesley 4/10.Shaun loses a point for talking to adults like they were kids at the welcome meeting.

Many people have asked since we got back if we would recommend this hotel.Every time we have explained the above most have made up their own mind not to go.If you feel that you are similar to us from the limited info above then make your own mind up.BUT I repeat -we still had a great holiday despite the downnsides, so if you are already booked then make the most of it.
If you have taken offence at this review then you are oviously not like us so will probably be very happy at this hotel.

Jeremy 747

Room Tip: Ask a question on the forum, most people will be able to recommend on their experience
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011 via mobile

Having read the reviews on here, I can not Grasp what people have to moan about , I have visited this island 3 times and twice stopped at the Karamboa, but this has a head start for me, the Square on the middle of the hotel has a buzz, and the bars have a wonderful ambiance , the people are terrific and Sonia the food and Drinks(which are now branded spirits if you ask for them. I really am dumfounded that some people have moaned, it's virtually impossible to fault. The sea was extremely rough, but was a joy to see , the giant waves and golden sands is just like paradise . Some of the entertainment staff go the extra mile to please I am just sorry that we had to come home. It's the same hotel manager that runs this hotel that opened the Karamboa , so he knows how to please. If you are going all I would say is , you will definatley come back chilled and bronzed :-) daveblade SHEFFIELD

• Stayed June 2011
Dunblane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

Had a wonderful holiday in the Riu Touareg, hotel lovely, staff lovely, beaches stunning. Food excellent in all the restaurants couldnt fault it, only thing I would say its the first all inclusive hotel that I have stayed in and not had soft drinks in your fridge in the room, but wasnt a problem really. The entertainment wasnt the best but the entertainment staff excellent and worked extremely long hours. Rooms were lovely and clean and beds very comfortable. Once you worked how to work the tv you could change most channels into English but I have to say you are hardly in your room, you can get instructions in how to do this at reception, its handy if you are travelling with kids as it has cartoon network and boomerang for cartoons to keep them occupied while you get ready to go for dinner. We didnt get to swim in the sea as it was red flags for about 11 of our 14 days there, a wee tip especially if you have young children dont go too close to the waters edge as the current is extremely strong and draw you of your feet very quickly into sometimes deep water, some of the waves reached 5 to 8 feet in height, lovely to watch from a distance. Also another tip take plenty of shampoo/conditioner/showergel/suntan lotion and paracetamol/nurofen as it is extremely expensive in the hotel eg 18.50 euros of 14 paracetamol suntan lotion was around 35 euros but if you are travelling with first choice or thompsons they do have a swap bag where people have left these items if you do run out - also souveniers are very expensive magnets are about 5 euros t-shirts 25 euros for not that good a quality, that is the only downside, enjoy your holiday at the Riu Touareg its total relaxation!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Riu Touareg? Share your experiences!