“Very good for a basic, inexpensive hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Champaign
Champaign
“Very good for a basic, inexpensive hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

I had to stay here for several weeks while waiting to move into a new house. For a stay that long, I wanted a basic hotel that would give me a decent place to sleep without costing a lot. And that's exactly what this place is. The people at the front desk were very helpful the whole time. The bed was nice. The towels were fine. The carpets were clean. The wifi signal is better in some rooms than in others, but they offered to move me to a new room if i wasn't happy with my connection (though it worked okay for me). I think some of the people complaining in other reviews expected too much out of a basic hotel. Also, you can't really complain that the hotel is too far from anything because Champaign is not a big city, so it doesn't take long to get -- well, anywhere. I would happily stay here again if I ever needed to.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
North Little Rock, AR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

Three days after my stay in January 2012, Microtel Champaign charged $5 to my credit card because they could not find their plastic ice bucket. They did not call to ask me if I had taken it and did not notify me they were charging my account, although they had my phone number. They assumed theft, then stole from me. I did not take their plastic ice bucket. I will never, never, never stay at Microtel Inns & Suites again. I am not a thief.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Natalie L, Manager at Microtel Inn by Wyndham Champaign, responded to this review, March 1, 2012
Dear Madam,

Guestrooms are inspected upon departure by the Housekeeping staff. When an item has been misplaced from the room- the guest resumes responsibility. We did not accuse you of theft we merely needed to replace the missing item in the room for further room rentals to other patrons.

Your account was refunded the $5.00. Sorry this was such an inconveinance. Have a great day.

-Management.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

I don't know how this hotel has a 3 out of 5 because this was honestly the worst hotel I've ever stayed at. The carpets were badly stained with brown spots throughout our room and hallways, the towels had holes and felt more like sand paper (I would guess they have never been replaced), they didn't provide any amenities (not even shampoo), the bed quilt was older than I am and had multiple holes and looked like it has never been washed, and the heater didn't work so we were freezing all night. The location of the hotel is in the middle of corn fields and is by far the farthest hotel from the city of Champaign. DO NOT stay at this hotel!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Natalie L, Manager at Microtel Inn by Wyndham Champaign, responded to this review, December 7, 2011
Hello,

I am sorry that you were not satisfied with your hotel stay. If you could respond to my email account I would be happy to look into getting you some sort of compensation.

I would like to inform you that we do offer Guest Amentities such as Sereno Spa Bath Soap, Sereno Spa Hand Soap, Sereno Spa Shampoo in all guest rooms. Available at the Front Desk we also offer Irons, Ironing Boards, Hairdryers, Toothbrush/Toothpaste, Deodorant, Complimentary Newspaper (while supplies last) and other supplies.

The hotel has recently completed having the carpets professionally cleaned in all guestrooms and public areas. We are working with a new vendor who supplies all the linens for the hotel to upgrade the linen options in all guest rooms.

Thank you for your feedback and review. This information was helpful.
KENTUCKY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

I was worried about staying at this hotel because of the previous guys review-but the staff was nice to me. I stayed four nights, got a good rate. I was in town on business and used this hotel because it is a part of the frequent stay program I use. Wasnt in the room much but housekeeping did a good job. I would recommend hotel replace carpeting, improve breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a middle room for better Internet signal on the WIFI access
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your hotel review. Your feedback has been very helpful.

Our hotel is able to offer nightly discount rates for discounts such as AAA, AARP, SENIOR, GOVERNMENT, MILTARY, U of I Student Discounts and more! We also offer discounted rates for Weekly and Monthly stays during our Non Event Dates.

We are working on offering additional breakfast choices. Currently we offer Coffee, Tea, Juice, Milk, Danish, Bagels, English Muffins, Toast, Muffins, Cereal, Oatmeal and Instant Grits.

We would like you to know that the hotel has just had the carpets professionally cleaned in all guest rooms and public areas.

York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

I Stayed twice at this Microtel in late April and early May. Excellent value for money with everything you expect from the Microtel chain. Clean, free internet and a continental breakfast. Only downside, it is a little remote as though built in anticipation of the city moving in their direction - which it didn't. The only other business on that junction of the freeway is a large filling station. Would I stay there again, absolutely.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for using our facility twice this year-we appreciate your return business!

Our hotel strives to offer clean, quiet, affordable accomodations and friendly customer service. We are able to provide all guests with an area map to nearby shopping, restaurant and entertainment options that are only half a mile away! In addition to the map we also have brochures and restaurant menus available.
Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

The only redeeming quality about this place was the service from the front desk. Both people I encountered were very friendly and helpful.

My wife and I stayed here during University of Illinois' Homecoming Weekend. A time when all area hotels jack up their rates, but our two night stay at this place came out around $200. That is more expensive than their typical weekly rate.

When we first walked in the room we felt we were camping in one of those little pop-up campers. The room was very small and cramped. The bed had thin sheets and blankets that were very scratchy and totally uncomfortable. The pillows were musty. The bath towels were small and very itchy.

I would rather sleep in my car than this place ever again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your hotel review. The information provided was helpful. I am very delighted to hear the Front Desk Staff members were helpful and polite during your stay.

At our Microtel Inn location you can expect typical brand standard items such as Built-in Room furniture, Queen Beds, a bay window seat overlooking a window, full length mirrors, full size bathtub-shower combinations. If you are feeling cramped in one of our single Queen Rooms-you can always try at the Front Desk to switch to a larger Double Queen Room. The price is a little higher but the extra space is worth it!

Special Event Dates for our area include U of I events such as Moms Day Weekend, Dads Day Weekend, Football Games, and Wrestling Tournaments. While the rates for special events are higher than Non Event Dates we still remain competitive to comparable hotel prices in our area. We have remained consistent in the pricing for the last 5 years while others have continued to raise their rates. We value our return guests and always try to accomodate them in any way possible.

Thank You!
pequot lakes
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

t was snowing and icy and we wanted off the road quickly.. called from the car. It looked good from the outside.. soon as we got into the motel, I should have listened to the voice in my head to leave once I seen the plastic table cloth inside the door on a table with booklets on it... the ROOMS>> ARE HORRID.... dirty... beds are horrible!! Do not stay there. If I could leave a negative I would.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Been to Microtel Inn by Wyndham Champaign? Share your experiences!