“A Pleasant Enough Stay, But Expensive and Nothing Going On” 4 of 5 stars
Review of I Hotel & Conference Center

Save Saved
You added I Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
I Hotel & Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1900 S First St, Champaign, Champaign-Urbana, IL 61820-6914   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Romance Package
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Champaign
“A Pleasant Enough Stay, But Expensive and Nothing Going On”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

My wife and I have stayed at the I Hotel several times when we are in Champaign on business. It is a pleasant and comfortable place, generally superior to the other lodging options in town. That's the upside. The downside is that it is very expensive for a basic hotel in a small city and everything pretty much shuts down by 10 pm - that is, the attached restaurant and bar close at 10 and there is no other place in the facility or nearby to get a snack or have a drink with friends. I'm not a bar hopper or night owl, but come on. In addition, they recently abandoned a deal that gave guests a deep discount on breakfast at the restaurant on premises. Instead, guests have the "opportunity" to get a free pastry and cup of coffee at the Starbuck's counter off the lobby and expanded room service (certainly not discounted) is available. Overall, perhaps I don't have much of a complaint - the staff is friendly and helpful, the rooms are comfortable, and the location is convenient to the university, but the cost, lack of other facilities, and elimination of the small benefit of the breakfast make me wonder if I need to re-examine the hotel market in Champaign-Urbana.

Room Tip: Probably want to stay away from the elevators. Occasionally athletic teams or other student groups...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Natalie G, Director of Sales at I Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for your review! We look forward to you and your wife staying with us again soon. Houlihan's will gladly stay open late if you arrive before closing time. If you can't make it to the restaurant before closing, please feel free to ask the concierge for anything you might like from the iCafe. They can provide snacks or even mini bottles of wine for you to enjoy.
Finally, I encourage you to join our email list by visiting our website. We frequently offer special rates via email to our subscribers.
Best,
Natalie Gross
Director of Sales and Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Ramat Gan, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

My husband and I were in Champaign for a quick business trip and stayed here for a night. The service was friendly and very helpful. We had our best nights sleep of the trip that night and still want to know what kind of mattresses they have! The rooms were modern, clean and luxurious. We would highly recommend staying here!

Champaign, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Coming on a work trip in Champaign, I chose to stay at the I hotel for one night. It was worth it. The room was clean and spacious, the bed was extremely comfortable and their staff was very nice and helpful.

I had the best sleep I had in a while. In the morning I used their fitness room which included complementary water bottles and state of the art tread mills. They even distribute ear phones for the machines.

The staff and management were thinking about the finest details.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I stayed here during the summer of 2012 on business with the University of Illinois, and it is located very close to campus, which was great. The price was pretty competitive with surrounding hotels.

The room was really nice and boutique like. The bathroom was clean and good spaced. Workout room had TVs on the machines, and complimentary headphones and water.

The only drawback were thin walls. A wedding party stayed on my floor and I could hear them everywhere. Walls were kinda thing.

Overall a great stay. I would definitely come back here. This time with earmuffs.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I shouldn't have been surprised as this hotel ranked highest in the area, but I was still amazed how well run the hotel is and how friendly and professional the staff is. The rooms are super-clean, spacious, and quite (even my room to the street side). The beds were comfortable with cozy linens. Room service was prompt and affordable. Nice soaps, shower gel, shampoo etc. and complimentary shuttle service.

This hotel is my #1 choice when coming to this area for sure!

Walsall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

settling our daughter into her new life at college and coming from the Uk we were a little worried that we would not feel at home.....we should not have worried...the hotel , the staff , the ameneties were all perfect......we ahd a problem with the broadband on the 1st day and within minutes a member of staff was there to sort it out.....we really enjoyed our stay and will return soon....highly recomended...the little touch of the free breakfasst was the icing on the cake.....many thanks....

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed overnight or a U of I basketball game. (Sadly the hotel was the highlight of the night.)
Immaculate, comfortable rooms with normal amenities, coffee, wi-fi, and a couple extras like robes and a choice of a free continental or discounted cooked breakfast at adjacent restaurant.
We normally drive to and from Urbana for events. May rethink our travel options just to stay here a few times.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to I Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!