“Poorly managed - customer service nightmare” 1 of 5 stars

Americas Best Value Inn-Bell Tower
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   200 East Noleman, Centralia, IL 62801   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Centralia
Moline, Illinois
“Poorly managed - customer service nightmare”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

Our credit card was charged without authorization, in error for a reservation that we never confirmed. Contacted the hotel and was told that only the manager could credit the card but he was not in. Called three more times and was told each time the manager was not in but the message would be given to him and he would call back. Also faxed at least 5 times to request a refund. Still no response. After attemptinf to deal with this matter amicably for nearly 2 weeks, we gave up and contacted the credit card company to dispute the charge. My company's employees travel extensively throughout the year - this hotel has lost all of our future business over one charge for $65.00. This manager is not too bright and judging from some of the other reviews of this facility, this hotel does not have much going for it at all. It's a good idea to steer clear of the Best Value Inn in Centralia, IL.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Corinth, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

My parents had stayed here throughout the years when they went back to visit family and never really had a problem. We had always stayed with family so this was our first time staying in the hotel. My father had made our reservation a month in advance. He requested two rooms that were adjoining because we have 5 kids. When we arrived, they had us in two rooms on two different floors. The manager then proceded to argue with us. Finally they gave us two rooms that were across the hall from each other. At that point, I was in a bad mood. I told my older kids to leave their door open so that we could keep an eye on them. I didn't care if anyone complained about the noise. It was the hotel's fault for not doing what they were supposed to do. The floors were absolutely filthy. We put our 11 mth old son on the floor to crawl around. After 10 minutes of crawling on the carpet, the tops of his socks and his knees were BLACK!!! They had pictures on the walls. Both of them had mold inside the glass of the pictures. We switched to adjoining rooms after two nights in the filth only to find that the new rooms were just as filthy and moldy. Same thing with the black socks and knees on our baby. I will NEVER stay at this hotel again. We have since gone back to visit. The older three kids stayed with their grandparents while the rest of us stayed at a hotel in Mt. Vernon. I will tell everyone I know to NOT STAY AT THIS DISGUSTING PLACE.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2010

We have stayed there a number of times with mixed results, the most recent being for Christmas. We have finally just given up. The last time (in Nov.) I was alone and when I opened my room for the first time, the covers were all messed up and obviously it had been used since last cleaned. They gave me another room, but it makes one wonder how much attention the pay to providing clean rooms. This time the air conditioner/heating unit did not work at all. The hallway was very hot so I guess any heat we got came from there as it was hot in the room but there was no way to get any air or temperature control from the unit - it was just dead! The rooms have been redecorated with new carpet and paint and don't look bad, but the biggest complaint is the HARD beds. We just can't spend another night tossing and turning on those hard beds! Last time I asked for their softest bed and it wasn't any better. So we will be going to Mt. Vernon even though it is a little drive from our family in Centralia. Sorry but we kept trying!

Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

I have never left a review but I had to this time. I always come here before making reservations, so I felt I needed to WARN someone about staying here.

I have stayed at this hotel a half a dozen times over the past ten years and had never had a problem until my last two visits this year. I have family here so we're always there visiting. When lodging for 2 days I try to conserve energy by using the same sheets and towels and not requesting new ones. Well in Feb I stayed here for my grandmother's funeral. On the morning after my 2nd night, I discovered I had slept with a pair of MEN'S GREY UNDERWEAR for 2 NIGHTS STRAIGHT!!! I was HORRIFIED!!!! I was given 1 night free and received an apology from staff and the manager. Yes, they were nice, but at that point it didn't matter because I wasn't sure what ELSE I slept with!!! TOTALLY GROSS OUT!!

After being grossed out and there not being another hotel in Centralia, I decided to go back in late Oct for my grandfather's funeral and ask for new sheets before checking in. The hotel manager was nice enough to walk down with me especially after I reminded him of WHO I was (the lady with the men's underwear a few months back). Well, my sister and I, along with her 6mo daughter, stayed in the room off from the pool. It was on the 1st floor and was a bit stuffy when we walked in, but it was anything the air conditioner couldn't do. The room was indeed clean and the sheets appeared to be clean. Well, the next morning, around 6am, my sister began killing roaches for the next few hours -on and off- as we tried to hurry and get out of there for the funeral and to CHECK OUT!! The roaches were mainly in the shower area and we found a dead baby one STUCK on the box spring of the bed we just slept in!!!! ILLLLL!! Since the carpet was dark you really couldn't tell where they were! We called the front desk and they offered to have maintience come down and "spray". But that wasn't an option since we had the baby and didn't want to SMELL like RAID walking in the funeral!! The call was really to notify them and have them WALK DOWN and see the remains of what we saw. We were told by the front desk they didn't know about the roaches and later was told by housekeeping that they DID know about them. AGAIN - HORRIFIED!!!

I was given a discount on the 1 night stay (THANK GOD we only planned to stay 1 night) but at that point it really didn't matter. I had already made up my mind I would no longer stay there again. I expressed my thoughts at check out how I GAVE them another chance after my Feb visit to come back and kill roaches on the next. Salem may be a little ways away, but worth the travel. I heard their Comfort Inn was nice which I'll check out the next time.

I tried, after "Sleeping with The Drawers", but NEVER again!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

My husband and I have stayed in this hotel several times over the past 3-4 years when visiting family in the area. It's not a luxury hotel but it has always been clean, the staff helpful and friendly and since Centralia is small it's the perfect location. I have other family members who stay here occasionally and they also have had absolutely no problems with this hotel. We will be staying there again at Christmas.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
slumberbunnies
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2010

I had been warned about the cleanliness of the room, specifically about sheets and when we checked into our room, that was the first thing we checked. Our sheets had very apparently been slept on. We asked for clean sheets, but the manager checked the room and provided another room that he checked.

What a disappointment this was to us. We have stayed in this hotel before but will consider driving to surrounding areas if need be to procure a clean room to stay in.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

First i would like to say. WOW WOW WOW I stayed in this hotel last year it was a little run down but still nice . They have remodled with new carpet paiint and all new front staff and its amazing it was clean and the paint colors inside were warm and comfortable it is a stark difference from the first stay we had . The front desk lady was so friendly and kind we had a flat tire and my husband had just recovered from back surgery and I couldnt get the lug nut on . I was upset when I went in she asked what was rong. I told her I couldnt get the tire on she said no big deal. She changed my tire and refused any tip she said thats how we help our guests here . I will never stay at any other place again thank you. so much,

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Been to Americas Best Value Inn-Bell Tower? Share your experiences!