“Nice Stop” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Takeout
Longview, Texas
“Nice Stop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I was here in July for a portion of my HS reunion. The bar and food was ok. It seemed pleasant. The wait staff was great. The business reps. were accommodating and prompt. It wasn’t anything special, but it was not a disappointment either.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Carlisle, Massachusetts
“Nice dinner on Route 66”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We stopped in Carlinville for the night on our trip on Route 66. Angus was recommended by the motel where we staid. Certainly a recommendation that we want to pass to others. We dined in the lounge area. The food was very good, reasonably priced, and the service also good. We tried the Alfredo pasta: excellent.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Pretentious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

Angus Bailey's is probably the "best" restaurant in town, which isn't saying much, actually. They do a very good job on food, and everything is unusually well prepared. Their fish dishes are exceptional. Steaks are very good. Service can absolutely STINK at times, particularly if you are a lone diner. The waitress seems to concentrate on tables with several guests, and virtually ignores you if you're dining alone. You begin to check to see if maybe you've broken out in a pox, or some other condition that drives the waitress away. I have actually had to get up and go grab the waitress, then drag her back to my table on occasion, just to get something simple, like a fork or another cup of coffee. She often "forgets" to bring you your salad, or something simple like that. VERY aggravating to have to beg for service. But, if you can tolerate the LOUSY service, the food is very good. And, if you're going in there with more than one person at the table, you'll get decent service.

Springfield, IL
“Best Bar & Grill in Macoupin County”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

If you are looking for a relaxed, inviting bar, Angus Bailey's is for you. The food is first quality, the beer is cold, there are numerous TV screens for watching your favorite teams/sports, and the staff is friendly.

A reasonably priced alternative to the chain restaurants!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
West Yorkshire
“The best steak and beer in Illinois!!! NO AMERICA!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2008

After seeing this place recommended on a travel programme in 2006. I had to visit whilst travelling Route 66 the same year... All I can say is Ohh! How I enjoyed my steak and pint of michelob lager. (also the fact that the restaurant/ steak house is supposed to be haunted by old Angus himself) a cheeky chap who opened this place sometime ago, but was hung in the town square by the townsfolk when they realised he was the local cattle rustler. Selling their meat back to them Ohh my! Possibly seeing a ghostie also appealed our sense of humor. You have to make a slight detour from route 66, but its well worth a visit. A fantastic meal was served, my companion recommended the drink. I was in America for 3 weeks and certainly the best steak i had, probably 6 the whole trip. I had never had michelob to drink before and still havn't managed to get it on draught since my visit to Angus Bailey's. No where else across America I called in for something to eat sold it on draught either. Much to my friends amusement!!! Now I can't resist a 4 pack occasionally from the supermarket. Anyway back to business If your in the area vist this place friendly staff, lovely town!!! Best steak I've ever had ribeye and if I remember I'm sure with pepper sauce. DELICIOUS!!!!