“Nice place for handicapped traveler” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Saluki Inn

You added BEST WESTERN Saluki Inn to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Saluki Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   801 North Giant City Road, Carbondale, IL 62902 (Formerly Carbondale Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Carbondale
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Tan Valley, Arizona
“Nice place for handicapped traveler”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed here two nights and were very pleased. The only thing wrong with it for us was the roll in shower accessible room had two double beds. This would be perfect if you are traveling with an attendant. I prefer a king for my husband and I. The bathroom was very easy to use. We will definitely stay here again. Thanks Best Western you can do it right!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
mo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

TOP COMPLAINT
Staff was NOT friendly. Customer service was NOT priority.
TOP COMPLIMENT
Rooms were clean and modern.

I would rather give it 3.5 rather than a 4 rating. We paid around $100 a night on Friday and Saturday night. The hotel was very full, so perhaps during the week, or a less-busy weekend, the stay would have been better. There really are not very many hotels in Carbondale or Marion that are super impressive. This place was better than most.

I think my biggest complaint and dissatisfaction with the Saluki Inn is that the staff were not welcoming or friendly. We really did not feel like we were valued guests that they were happy to have staying, it seemed that guests were really just causing more work than they could handle.
I understand that they were very busy, but I do not believe we got a discount because of it.
At breakfast they were out of eggs and sausage, which I believe another reviewer complained about as well. We told an employee, she was plump with long black hair, that they were out eggs and sausage and she snapped back "We know! We're making more!" That was a little off-putting! The second morning they were out of pancake mix.
We were less upset about their bad planning for how many employees they would need for a full hotel and how much food to prepare, than we were with their attitude toward guests.

We stayed in a king room, it was the last room they had available. The room was large, modern, and nicely decorated and updated.

There was a nice refrigerator, flat-screen t.v., single-serve coffee maker, hair dryer, microwave, clothing closet with hangers, iron and ironing board. There were plenty of plug-ins, which was really nice, they were even on the bedside table lamps.

I will mention a few things that that a reader might want to know.

If you are there when it is busy, do not expect a real quiet stay. We were on the second floor and could hear every step the person above us was taking, until 12:30 AM. Also, you can hear the doors closing loudly whenever someone enters/exits their rooms.

House keeping started very early, we heard doors opening and closing, vacuums, carts, etc. before 8:00 each morning. Check-out is 11:00 and check-in is 3:00. They were not concerned about making guests feel relaxed and welcome. It is just another sign that the hotel is badly managed.

The first floor was very busy when we were there. The housekeeping laundry room is on the first floor right across from guest rooms! I have never seen all the housekeeping stuff on the main floor.

Our sheets were thinning and starting to pill, but they felt fine.
Our bed was very firm! It was not sloping or slumping or anything, just FIRM
The floors were clean, but there were some stains.
The bathroom was clean and newer, but a tile was broken and some of the caulking needs redone.
The pool, front desk, work out room and breakfast room are all crammed up front. So if you want to work out in front of a bunch of people eating breakfast, in your swimsuit, this would be your chance!

This hotel has mixed reviews, and we found out why. I think it may be a hit or miss kind of place. Again, it always goes back to how a place is managed.

Despite the bad stuff, we would probably stay at the Saluki Inn again.

Room Tip: If you are bothered by noise, choose the 3rd floor
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Franklin, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Welcoming staff and offered to help in anyway possible. The rooms were very clean and the beds were comfortable. We had a terrific nights sleep and appreciated the quiet atmosphere.
The staff suggested nearby restaurants. We would certainly stay here again on our next trip to
Carbondale.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

They did not have my reservation and I should have taken this as a sign to go elsewhere. The room was filthy, cigarette hole in blanket, no battery in smoke detector. The toilet ran all night and continuously flushed. The chain lock on the door was broken. There were cigarette burns on the bathtub. The bed skirt was stained. The mattresses were old and worn, even had dents in them. The staff was clueless and unable to provide me receipt for my stay. I would never stay here again. I really wonder if some of the reviews posted are false.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Bourbonnais, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Our extended family (9 rooms) stayed at the Best Western Saluki Inn in Carbondale, IL for 1 to 5 nights each for a memorial service and family reunion. The rooms were clean and well maintained. The swimming pool was great for all the kids. The breakfasts were wonderful with hot and cold food and drinks readily available. The best thing was the manager, Melissa, who was so helpful to make all the room reservations and changes at the last minute. She was also able to give us a great rate on the conference room and make it available for setup and displays of memorabilia. Thank you, Melissa, so much!
Ivor

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I briefly stayed at this hotel with my family a couple of weeks ago, and we found it to be comfortable, reasonably priced, and came with all the amenities we were looking for. We found the staff to be professional, the rooms were clean, and the swimming pool is definitely a plus!

I get it, reviews differ, mostly because people look for different things in a hotel. Personally, if you wanted the Ritz Carlton you should probably have booked a room there because this hotel has all the basics and the website is accurate - what you see is what you get! We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013
Plainfield, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We recently stayed at the Best Western in Carbondale and had a very unpleasant experience. When we pulled the covers down to go to bed one of the beds had dirty sheets. I called the front desk and was told that she was the only person on staff. It was approximately 10:30 pm. She could not leave but her replacement was due there at 11 pm and one of them would come up and change the bed. Understandable. Mistakes happen. Around 11:10 I decided to call again since we were still waiting and was told that her replacement should be there soon and again, one of them would be up shortly. About 10 minutes later a gentleman knocked on the door. He apparently did not speak English very well and put the sheets on the bed and walked out. Needless to say, I did not pay for a room so I could change my own bedding. The next morning I complained and was given our pet fee of $20 off plus an additional $10. If this had been the Hampton Inn we would not have paid anything but you live and learn and I know I will not stay at a Best Western again after this. In addition, the breakfast was horrible. The eggs were disgusting and there was an empty sausage bin. We had to ask for more sausage and it was an hour before the scheduled end of breakfast. When it came out it was cold. There was 1 banana in the bin and it was totally brown. No yogurts were left and the bread and muffins were stale. All in all it was a really bad experience and the attidue of the staff was not very customer service oriented.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Melissa M, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Saluki Inn, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review on tripAdvisor on your recent stay at the Best Western Saluki Inn. Your feedback is very important to us because it helps us improve in areas that need an extra tender loving care touch.
I am sorry to hear that your stay did not exceed your expectations. I insure you that we have taken your response seriously and measures have been made to avoid this specific situation from happening again. I hope you can give us another opportunity to show you that we are a hotel that cares about our guest and that we are striving to go above and beyond in customer care.

Been to BEST WESTERN Saluki Inn? Share your experiences!