“Do Not Stay Here!!!!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Unicity Inn & Suites

You added Unicity Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Unicity Inn & Suites
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1345 E Main St, Carbondale, IL 62901 (Formerly Campus Inn)   |
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Carbondale
Chicago, Illinois
“Do Not Stay Here!!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2008

Since I will be visiting Carbondale a few more times during the next few years, of course I want to find a hotel I can rely on. This is not that hotel! .
The room........................ ..nonsmoking...smelled like smoking...tv channel changer wrapped with very worn tape....hole in wall where cable coming in...cigarrette burn on toilet seat....flat bed sheet used as fitted sheet would not stay on bed...by morning you are lying directly on the mattress......mold on tiles in tub. Need I say more!
I have learned ...make your reservations early at a reputable hotel chain....plenty in area...not this one! Paying extra is worth it!
If this is the only hotel in town.....do not stay here....stay an hour away! Anywhere else! I repeat....do not stay here!!

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — everything else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
central, illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2008

This was ABSOLUTELY the nastiest hotel I have EVER seen. When we opened the door thee room smell could have knocked you down! We had booked a queen room with coffee maker, hair dryer, iron, & alarm clock.....all we got was a double bed and an ironing board. There were 4 lamps, only one had a bulb, the other 3 had theend of the cords cut off. The bedspread smelled horrible, and had rips and burns in it. The recliner was stained, smelled, and looked like something that was picked up out of a dumpster. The desk chair had black footprints and stains all over it. There was no toilet paper, only one bath towel and wash cloth that were stained and pretty worn. The toilet seat was round with an elongated stool lid that hung way over the edge. The shower/tub was dirty and had mildew. We found a different hotel room and we were told that if you do not leave in 15 minutes that you are charged for the whole night. $69.99. I am trying to work this out with my banker, if not we will contact an attorney. We recieved no paperwork, so that goes to show you right there that there is something to hide. We could not even set our luggage on the floor the carpet was so dirty and unswept. Obviously the owner of this establishment does not care. This place does not even deserve to have the word America in the title of this establishmnet, because it is an absolute disgrace to the US. Please do not stay there or allow your family or friends to stay there. I hope that this review has saved someone from the horrible experience that we endured.

• Liked — nothing....it is an absolute DIVE!!!!
  • Disliked — everything!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, AZ USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2008

Do not stay here, even as a last choice (we made that mistake). This property is very poorly maintained and managed, and without a redeeming value. Non-smoking rooms are pretty much nonexistent, despite what the sign on the doors say. The bed linens were full of cigarette holes, and the bath linens were ragged and stained. My room had no clock or alarm, no ice bucket, no coffee maker, no remote for the TV and only the most minimal and cheapest bath amenities. Compared to the room someone else in our party was given, mine was nice. The bathroom faucet dripped nonstop, and the fixtures were coming off the wall. In general there was only one on the property at a time, maybe with the exception of a housekeeper. Clearly the hotel owner wants to run this property as cheaply as possible, without regard to the comfort or experience of the guests.

Stayed May 2008
Springfield, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2006

We had been travelling all over the state and just wanted a clean place to sleep. I called and was quoted a price of $41.06 for a queen, we arrived 10 minutes later to check-in, if we wanted the queen we would have to wait 30 minutes or so while they cleaned it. They only had a king left and offered it for $46.73. The clerk ran all the papers, took my money and then went to the back looking for something, returned 3 or 4 minutes later with our key. We lugged all of our luggage up the stairs and proceeded into our room. My husband went downstairs to inquire about the ice machines, he was told to go next door to Steak'N'Shake to get ice. Pulled the blanket back to find a mattress and box spring splattered with something dark red, the toliet had dried urine and hair all over it, the bathtub had BLACK mildew and hair, the towels looked like they had just been refolded and not washed, the microwave had food in it, there were crushed chips on the floor as well. We let the water run for 10 minutes, was lukewarm, tried to call the front desk, no answer! We returned to the front desk and we offered another room. We declined and asked for a refund. We were informed they have a "15 minute rule" and would not refund any money because we checked in at 8:35 pm and it was now 9:05 pm. My husband requested the manager, talked to him via phone, we called the police. NEVER GOT OUR MONEY BACK! We took pictures of the nastiness for our civil case. RIDICULOUS that people think that is an acceptable policy!

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — 15 minute refund policy
  • Tips/Secrets — AVOID IT, I would sleep in my automobile before I would pay them for a room
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kansas City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2006

Ok, let me count the reasons not to stay here:

1. Brown Recluse spiders were discovered by two people while we were there.
2. Roaches
3. We got credible info that they only wash the comforter once a month.
4. Credit cards were double charged and we were refused a receipt.

Please, please don't do it. All of the above is true. Try the hampton inn right down the street for a few more bucks.

• Stayed June 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2005

Don't know why my experience was so different from the other reviews, but my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay! Our non-smoking room didn't smell like smoke, it was very clean, comfortable, and well equipped (TV remote & iron were present and accounted for). Dee at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. He always made it a point to make sure we had enough clean towels and asked every day if we wanted our room serviced. And the free breakfast...there was more than just Special K! Waffles, bagels, doughnuts, three different cereals, coffee, juice...all included! Not bad for a $35 room. Based on my stay, this place certainly does not deserve the bad rap it's getting here. I recommend it and my wife and I will return the next chance we get.

• Stayed October 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2005

there were stains air was broken air also leaked smelled very bad asked for a pilliow never got it the floor was more confortable than the beds and no light bulb in lamp ask for another one and they said they had none the only good part about the hotel was free special k cereal for brekfast

• Stayed June 2005

Been to Unicity Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!