“Not A Bad Place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Carbondale
Chicago
“Not A Bad Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2008

We staid at the Hampton for Homecoming weekend from Friday through Sunday. The staff was friendly but not always at the desk when needed. I waited for at least 15 + minutes to check in at around 6:30pm because the front desk person was off doing something else. I called him on my cell phone to find out where he was. I attribute this to the fact that it seems they only have one employee to cover the front most of the time.
The room was clean. I found the bed to have a bit of a hump in the middle of the mattress but delt with it by adjusting my sleeping position which worked because I had the bed to myself. I wish hotels could sound proof their walls better so guests do not have to listen to what is going on in the next door rooms. Luckily it was quiet most of the night. There is only one elevator in the hotel so it ment waiting for it several times especially in the morning.
The continental breakfast as a whole is not bad. They served a few hot items along with several cold choices. The coffee was OK but the orange juice was terrible.
I would stay here again but I thought the price was a bit high for Carbondale. I understand that many of the hotels in the area increased their prices because it was a big weekend but I don't appreciate the price gouging in general.

• Liked — clean room
  • Disliked — one elevator
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2008

I travel to Carbondale once a year for business, and I've stayed at the Hampton in Carbondale the past three years. I am obviously very satisfied with the hotel. My most recent stay, at the beginning of September 2008, lived up to my previous expectations. The rooms are spacious and clean, and the staff is attentive and pleasant. And the "Hampton Bed" is fantastic...the best sleep I've had in months! The included breakfast isn't fantastic, but it is better than average. I highly recommend the Hampton....I'll be back next fall!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2008

My family made arrangements to stay at the Hampton while in Carbondale for a funeral.

Despite the emotional time for us, we had no problems at the property. Rooms were clean and well-maintained. There were vending machines on the every floor. Despite having a convention and a volley boll team staying there, noise was never an issue.

Housekeeping was thorough and went out of their way - when one of our room cards broke, one woman took them downstairs, replaced them, and brought them back.

The breakfast was perfectly fine - fresh fruit, yogurt, donuts, muffins, and hot options were a carb and an egg (pancakes/omlettes, biscuits and gravy/poached eggs). I was well-pleased at the level of cleanliness, esp. of the breakfast bar.

There are several restaurants nearby that are easy to find - and the front desk had several suggestions for types of food such as Mexican that turned out well.

• Liked — Cleaniness and Friendliness
  • Disliked — Location is a bit far from SIU campus...
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Ocean Springs, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2008

My wife and I stayed here about a month ago while visiting family. We found the hotel staff to be very courteous and friendly. Our room was clean. The hotel has an inside swimming pool and a small workout room. However, it only has cardio machines in it though. The hotel serves breakfast each morning and has a computer room so you can access the internet. We would recommend this hotel for others.

Stayed March 2008
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2008

Traveling on business I found the staff at this hotel to be very professional and friendly.

The rooms were on par with the Hampton experience and were clean and well furnished. A very nice touch was a bottle of water, a bag of potato chips and a chocolate mint that was waiting for me in the room as an Hhonors member.

When I saw the bus load of young female athletes arrive I was concerned about the noise level, but there was none. The rooms were well sound insulated and the young ladies were very well behaved.

As a previous reviewers noted, the bathroom floor tile could use a good scrubbing and the breakfast was not the best that I have had at a Hampton, with refrigerator cold biscuits and pastries, but it was "OK".

Overall I would rate this as a very good, but not my best Hampton Inn experience. I would, though, rate my experience with the staff as excellent.

• Liked — Great staff
  • Disliked — Bathroom tile needs a good scrubbing
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2007

We stayed at this Hampton Inn for one night (July 23, 2007) while passing through the area. This was our first trip traveling with a puppy and we choose this hotel because it allowed pets, I had heard some pretty negative things about pet friendly hotels. None of them were true at this hotel. The room was perfect. It did not have any nasty pet smells and we weren't forced to stay in a smoking room just because we had a pet. I felt totally comfortable in the room we were given and I'm a very picky person when it comes to cleanliness.
The room was a very nice size, we didn't feel cramped at all.
We had one very minor problem with the TV and the staff went out of their way to make it okay, even offering to change us to another room. I was surprised at how the manager on duty responded. He definitely wanted to make sure we weren't disappointed with our stay there.
I wish we could have had the same experience the rest of the week as we continued on our vacation.

• Liked — Clean, pet friendly room!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2006

My daughter and I stopped by this Hampton to see if they had a room available. They were booked solid. The gal at the desk was very helpful in trying to locate another hotel for us. She went above and beyond her duties. ..
Once again, the Hampton and their staff deserve a round of applause!!!!!

• Liked — Staff
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hampton Inn Carbondale? Share your experiences!