“Pretty average...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Carbondale
Columbia, Illinois
“Pretty average...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

A little disappointing for the money we spent on a room. I was trying to save $10 and get free breakfast included - not sure it was worth it. The hotel is not bad and the room was very comfortable, but the carpeting in the entire place is in dire need of replacement. And the breakfast was fairly unexceptional. Not a bad place, but for the money I may opt for Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn next time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
O'Fallon, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

A good place to stay if you are in Carbondale. Room was clean, well appointed, with good Wifi, and a comfortable King size bed, quiet despite being full. There were a couple of carpet burns from an iron and you had to be careful and pull the door firmly when closing the door to be sure it latched properly. A little short on towels if more than one person. Was staying with friends in the same location, but would return. Plenty of choices for breakfast which included hot and cold items.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Springfield, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My family thought the motel was very nice. It was about a mile outside of town so the area was more quiet. The front desk staff were extremely helpful and accommodating for a couple of requests that we had. The motel is only several years old so it looks and feels new. The pool and hot tub area was nice and we used it several times. We will stay there again for return visits to town.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Herrin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Hotel is very well maintained & very clean. The staff personality was a little lacking, but it was very late when we checked in. Everything was spotless when we checked in & I'm pretty sure this is a new location. Overall, very happy with our stay & would stay here again!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

I read the other reviews and almost passed up this hotel. It has been great! Great room, great check-in, no problem with my reservation. Good food nearby. I think some people just need to complain. I highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel on a short business trip. When I pulled into the parking lot and saw that the grass hadn't been mowed in quite some time, I should have just turned around then. Check-in was fine, but the staff was not friendly at all. I felt like I wasn't really welcome there even though I was paying for a room. The interior of the hotel definitely needs some updating and some TLC. When I got to my room, I was even more disappointed. The room felt grungy and not cleaned well. The carpet had stains and rips. The wallpaper was peeling off the walls in the bathroom. The chair the room had like ten different stains on it. The blanket that was on the bed looked extremely worn and didn't seem that clean. Sleeping was virtually impossible at this hotel. When I checked in at 3 pm, the manager had a loud industrial fan running in the hallway, that looked like it was drying out a piece of wet carpet or something. The manager proceeded to let the fan run throughout the entire night and I could hear it down the hall in my room all night long. The people staying below me had a dog and the dog barked all night long. The air conditioner in the wall was old and very loud. When I left the next morning, I didn't get a "bye" or "thanks for staying with us" or anything from any of the staff. For the $100 I paid to stay here, I was very disappointed and will never stay here again. I would suggest instead of staying at this hotel to stay at the Holiday Inn or Hampton Inn nearby. Their prices may be $10-$20 more, but trust me, its well worth it. I can honestly say this was one of the worst hotels I have stayed in.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I am in Carbondale 3-5 times a year for swim meets and have stayed at the majority of the hotels in Carbondale and Marion. I was late making my hotel reservations for a recent swim meet and this was the only option available. I paid $119 per night, which I thought was a little steep for a Comfort Inn and also the cost of a room at the neighboring and much nicer Hampton Inn which was not available. Check-In was quick and painless and my room was very clean and everything seemed to be fine. It was not until I was settling in for the evening did the veil lift on the annoying little items that mounted all weekend to make me never want to stay here again. First, the walls a paper thin and you can hear EVERYTHING in the hallway, above you and next to you. The bed when made up looked like a welcome oasis. Once you pull back the comforter you are greeted by crisp sheets and a very old pilly blanket and small, square pillows. The mattress was so soft/old/overused(??) that I literally sank into it and had to pull myself out each time I wanted to get out. The edge of the mattress was the only firm part of this bed. The pillows were tiny compared to the king size bed. Very strange to not have a full-size pillow. Also, I'm not sure whether the mattress was foam or if there was some sort of protective cover that made the mattress very warm, I was either kicking covers off or pulling them up all night.

The a/c unit, which is the plug in wall type, had to be set to 71 to cool the entire room otherwise the room stayed warm toward the center.

The bathroom had no cooling at all unless I propped the door open. The bathroom door would not stay open on its own, which I found odd. In the evening I could smell cigarette smoke in my bathroom, probably not a big deal for some but I have asthma and this is a huge deal! The bathroom was clean but needed to have the finish touches put on it. There was exposed drywall and a gap between it and the tub. The towels in the bathroom are very thin. Everyone I talked to that stayed here said they were constantly having to beg for more towels, it seems it is normal for only 2 large towels to be placed in the rooms.

This is also the first place I've stayed at where I've actually had to check out. It would have been nice to have the paid receipt slipped under my door so I could have been on my way. It's the little things, really.

Having stayed here I would say that the rooms are more comparable to the Super 8 than to the neighboring Holiday Inn or Hampton Inn. If this property wants to charge the same rates as these two hotels then it really needs to step up its game a lot! It is just not worth the price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites Carbondale? Share your experiences!