TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

“Yoga at Hindukush Heights and Mastuj Fort, Pakistan.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hindukush Heights Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province
Hindukush Heights Hotel
You added Hindukush Heights Hotel to your Saves list
Hindukush Heights, Pakistan   |
Karachi, Pakistan
“Yoga at Hindukush Heights and Mastuj Fort, Pakistan.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

6 am, Islamabad airport. We are a group of six, multi-generational Karachi women. Each one of us has left behind family; the press of work; the city’s particular madness, its noise, traffic, politics, its dark restless energies. Organised by Aisha Chapra and Siraj ul Mulk, the yoga holiday is more than any one of us perhaps imagined.

Mastuj Fort is a gorgeous property. Orchards weighed in by apples ready for picking. A lush, rambling garden. And an arbor of local trees, leaves shining in the sunlit breeze. Six log cabins line the land’s periphery. And, revered of all things, an ancient maple towers heavenwards, literally as far as our eyes may see.

Aisha’s yoga practice is beautifully detailed - rich in instruction and quiet in temperament. We move in the way of dance, with core awareness, breath-led, taking in earth wisdom beneath our feet. Laughing at the early morning cold, adapting, intuitive, moving towards the sun. The mornings remain active. Afternoon sessions are gentle, healing. Aisha guides at the group’s own pace, each day. I savour a seamless relationship, yoga on as well as off the mat, in her presence.
And what regal dining! Fresh fruit, vegetables, special Chitrali soup and breads, all produce drawn from the land itself. Special nights for trout, barbecued meats. Meals are served outdoors, at a slender table finessed with fresh-picked flowers, in the shade of a canopy. We have open views of the Hindu Kush Mountains and the deep green garden light.

And then the daily walks: mornings, through the village; a spectacular 3 hour walk in Shandur; our evening sunsets over Trichmir, relished just outside the Fort down a path lined with poplar trees. As night comes in, we sit by a brightly lit bonfire, full of the day’s harvest. Bedtime, graced with the vast mountain quiet and a hot water bottle already snuggling in the blankets, in wait of us.
Outstanding service at both Mastuj, and at Hindukush Heights, in Chitral. From transport, to guides, to inhouse support, we are gifted with Siraj ul Mulk’s staff and hospitality. Every day is new, an adventure, a submission, and a return to the simplest things in our selves, in our surrounds.

City slickers - travel north.

Room Tip: All cabins at Mastuj and rooms at Hindukush Heights, simple, private sanctuary. First floor reservat...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Staying at Hindu Kush Heights is the most wonderful experience. Guests enjoy all the pleasures of staying with the nicest people in the world, with hotel convenience thrown in. The staff are simply the best ever: always attentive, sensible and efficient and yet entirely unobtrusive. The food is heavenly and - surprisingly - unfattening. I ate everything available while staying there and yet somehow lost weight during my stay.
Ghazala and Siraj Ulmulk, who own Hindu Kush Heights, make everyone who comes feel very specially welcome and can guide visitors to whatever they want in Chitral, from bloodcurdling adventures to total relaxation.
My only hesitation in recommending the hotel is that, like most regular HKH guests I rather want it to remain an exclusive secret.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I just received an email that a friend submitted a review of Hindukush Heights Hotel. It reminded me of the trip I took to Chitral in 2006 - before Trip Advisor - and it inspired me to write a review now. I also happen to be in Pakistan again right now, so I am feeling nostalgic. My trip to Chitral was so remarkable I wrote my first travel article about it.

And it all started at the Hindukush Heights Hotel with a greeting from the gracious owner. The rooms and bathrooms are simple and clean, but most open on to balconies with sweeping views of the valley below. The decor of the hotel is wooden lodge style, which fits the area.

In front of the hotel is a perfectly manicured lawn where one can sit in wooden recliner chairs and watch the sun set. over the hazy valley below.

The food is traditional and delicious. The service is excellent.

There is plenty of stunning and unusual things to see in Chitral, from ancient, crumbling forts to the Shandur Pass, home of the world's highest polo match. It was all accessible, and the Hindukush Heights provided the perfect starting point, back in 2006, but now I am told the security situation is more dicey.

I have traveled to over 60 countries in my life and stayed at countless places, but for its sheer charm, unusual location, warmth and singularity, I put Hindukush Heights in my Global Top 10.

I hope to see it one day again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

One of the most heart warming, visually stunning, emotionally charged trips of a lifetime. Chitral is the Jewel in the Crown of Northern Pakistan. Safe, secure, and so much more beautiful and comfortable than I expected. Our days were filled with bountiful breakfasts, delightful weather, unforgettable views and the delightful company of our fabulous hosts Ghazala and Siraj ul Mulk; their hospitality and warmth remains unparalleled in memory. We spent half our time in Chitral city, drove to Mastuj Fort and spent a wonderful week at the Hindukushh Heights hotel Mastuj on the grounds of the family fort in very comfortable cabins. Our days were busy with walks to different villages, dining with locals, engaging with villagers, marvelling at the number of children in school, visiting major scenic spots such as the National Park, the Royal Family's Summer Palace, Shandur the highest polo ground in the world, Kalaash Valleys and Apple and Cherry Orchards. With the added charm of a yoga holiday our group enjoyed the breathtaking views and meditating and doing yoga in the embrace of some of the most glorious mountains in the world. Delicious local fruits, cereals, grains, butters and breads, soups and stews had us happily sustained throughout our journeys. None of us could have asked for a more generous host who took care of us from our flight from Islamabad to our flight back home. All in all, it really was Chitrali Soup for the Soul :).

Room Tip: Accommodations are clean comfortable but basic and urban luxury hotel amenities like round the clock...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
oakland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Although my arrival in Islamabad was a disaster since no one showed up at the airport at 01:30 as promised, Siraj made up for it when my flight to Chitral was canceled due to lack of passengers and sent a car to take me up into the hills to get out of the heat.
Once at the hotel, you immediately get the feeling that the place was well cared for. The rooms are comfortable and private with balconies overlooking the valley, All staff is very attentive and the food is varied and well prepared the deserts to die for.On my trip it was the best food I had in Pakistan. Special kudos to Siraj and Ghazala his wife for making me feel welcome

Room Tip: All rooms have a balcony and overlook valley
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Peshawar
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I went to Chitral and stayed at Hindukush from 16th May to 18th May, 2013.
The ambiance of the hotel was very nice, particularly the lawn with an opening to wards east from where one can see the gushing river and long air strip of Chitral airport besides terraced fields.
However, when it comes to some basic amenities; its a different story. I could only find hot water for a few minutes on the first day, rest, despite various requests, it could not reach my or my colleagues' rooms. Similarly for the food, it was not enough for our guests. There is no muslim shower or water tap in the bath rooms. The towel hanging is at a very strange place; on the water tank.
It needs a lot of improvement to cater to broader range of customers.

Room Tip: Try to have a room at the top floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Lahore, Pakistan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I went with my family to spend a week in chitral in october. I stayed at a fabulous hill resort hotel called Hindukush Heights. I want to share my experiences with fellow travelers. This was a place of real peace and quiet away from it all. The food was tasty with a large variety of the best quality. What i liked best was the friendly staff at the hotel, who always made us feel at home. We went by one of the daily flights of PIA of islamabad and returned by road. The road journey through the 8.5 km lowari tunnel was a great experience.

Room Tip: Choose room number 102,107,111 and 112 .
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hindukush Heights Hotel? Share your experiences!