“Will NEVER stay there again!” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Calumet City
Lithonia, Georgia, United States
“Will NEVER stay there again!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I stayed at the Baymont Inn for 1 week. I have been staying there every year for the last five years, and this year was not good at all. The first day (Sunday) we arrived, when we pulled back the linen to lay down, we discovered there was something like Bar-B-Que sauce or ketchup on the spread. Housekeeping was contacted and we received (what we were told) a freshly cleaned spread. They said that they wash the spreads every two days, but obliviously even though the previous guest had left, this spread was not cleansed.

The next night (Monday) we noticed the ceiling fan blades were very dirty. We notified housekeeping that next morning, the blades were “sort of” cleansed. I notified the manager (Nina) that the blades were still dirty, and my husband has allergies (this is why he has been sneezing). Nina offered to move us to another room, with our choice being the same type of double bed room or an upgrade to a king suite. The double bed room had a moldy smell, so we accepted the upgrade to a king suite, which appeared very nice and spacious, and had a full size refrigerator. However, when we looked at the ceiling fans they too, were very dirty. We contacted the Nina again, to have the ceiling fan blades cleanse completely, and not be moved again. This task was done after two attempted by housekeeping. We were happy until that night when we tried to use the microwave, and all the lights in the room went out. We reported this to the night clerk, who rudely said she could not do anything about it, there was not a maintenance person available; he is not answering the phone, she is only an employee and doesn’t know what to do. When we told her that we knew that the maintenance person stayed at the hotel, and if the lighting problem was not corrected, we would be reporting to a higher authority, she told us (in a very rude manner) that we could just check out. Shortly, the maintenance person appeared in shorts and bare feet (approaching us in a very aggressive manner in the people filled lobby) asking what did we plug in. He then said not to use the microwave, with no other explanations. This entire episode took over two hours.

The next morning (Tuesday) the maintenance person came to fix the problem, which took TEN MINUTES.

On Wednesday, we had purchased various items for refrigeration, and discovered the refrigerator did not cool, so we had to pack everything on ice (which really doesn’t work with some foods). This was reported, and we were told that there were no replacements available, needless to say we ended up throwing all we could not eat.

Thursday, was pool day, but the chlorine was soooo strong you started coughing when you walked in the hall and the odor was seeping into the room. When this was reported to the front desk, we were told that “OK”, and that’s it.

Saturday, no complimentary breakfast. I was in the dining area, and the clerk said this was her first day and didn’t know what time breakfast was supposed to start (this was at 7AM). That night the chloride fumes were so strong several of us had to put towels to our doors to decrease the amount of fumes coming into our rooms.

This hotel had gone WAYYYY down in service. I will NEVER, EVER stay here again. The staffs are not hospitality type personnel, and need to be trained, retained, or replaced (which we suggested to the manager). The manager seemed very nice and accommodating, and said everything we wanted to hear to be pacified. She stated could not compensate us, because we had already been given a discount at the senior rate and we had been upgrade with room. I told her the room was discounted at reservation time, and the room upgrade was at her insistence. All that was need was cleaning the ceiling fans.

I repeat, I will NEVER stay at this hotel again!

When we were leaving, I met with Davina, and conveyed her apologies. Due to family illness she had been off the entire time we were there. She did manage to discount our rooms, but I did let her know I will not be back. Good Luck Davina, you are a sweetheart, and your work is cut out for you.

Finally, everyone had on an ID badge that only said BAYMONT, no other name, so you did not know who you were dealing with.

Room Tip: Rooms near the pool will have chlorine ordor seeping into the room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
BaymontCalumetCity, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites - Chicago Calumet City, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Jane N,

I am the General Manager here at Baymont Inn and Suites. I have read your response to this posting and have been working diligently to address issues that you had with our front desk associate, maintenance man, room issues and spoke with Davinia. We understand your concerns and I do hope that you return and will assure you that these issues will absolutely never arise.

Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Calumet City, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

I’ve done business with many hotels over the years and I must say that customer service at this location is excellent. I rented the banquet hall for an event that could have turned out to be a disaster if it was not for the efforts of Davina. She was understanding, professional and went out of her way to help me pull off a fantastic event. If it was not for Davina’s leadership and assistance the event would have been a complete failure. I thank God for her and the Baymont Inn. A great hotel with a second to none staff.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
BaymontCalumetCity, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites - Chicago Calumet City, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Lillie,

Thank you for your stay at Baymont Inn and Suites-Calumet City. I am glad to hear that your stay was pleasant and our staff was available to assist you. Please stop in again soon if you are traveling to Chicago. We will be happy to assist you!

Calumet City, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

SInce, I've been here for the last 3 weeks, she's been so nice to help me out with me and my 3 kids here at the Baymont. I truly thank you for the nice people specially Divina at the Baymont Inn & Suites.

Divina is very nice and sweet, she's very helpful

Room Tip: * " Corner suites are longer and sunny"
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for your stay at Baymont Inn and Suites-Calumet City. We truly appreciate the kind words and I am glad to hear that you had a great stay with us. Please visit us again soon when traveling to Chicago.

Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

This place is awful. I am sure there are worse motels in existence as I did not see any roaches, but that was about it. We went in to the VERY TINY pool (it is maybe 20 feet long by 10 feet wide in a crowded, run down, chipped-paint humid room) and regretted it almost instantly. There was a skim across the top of the water and my 10 year old son exclaimed, "IT SMELLS LIKE BROCCOLI!!". We tried the hot tub (can sit around 6 people), and it was better, but it was the kind of place you tell your children to make sure they don't duck their heads under the water and we showered immediately upon return to the room. Also, pool hours are only from noon to 9pm, which is horribly inconvenient. Fitness room has worn out equipment. There was an elliptical that looks like it probably cost around $200, a flimsy step glider machine and an outdated stationery bike. The room was extremely small.

Also, this is a HORRIBLE LOCATION. It is smack dab in the middle of extreme poverty. The projects are directly across the street. It is conveniently located right off the highway and is a breeze getting in/out of the city, but that is all that is positive about the location. We dreaded coming "home" each night. I would have rather slept in my car, and I would have if I didn't have kids that needed to stretch out.

Walking around in our room was nasty. The bottoms of our feet were black within minutes, so we washed our feet and put socks on, and those were black too within minutes. The whole room was "sticky". Beds are not balanced and "tip" back towards the head board easily. There were only around 20 channels on the TV, which is an outdated box TV. There was a nice refrigerator and microwave in there. There was too much furniture for the space, so we kept having to rotate chairs around to make room for everyone getting ready in the morning.

The continental breakfast consisted of stale pastries, stale room temperature "cinnamon rolls", oatmeal, bagels, toast, four different kinds of cereal, coffee, apple/orange/cranberry juice, hot tea, hard boiled eggs, dried out biscuits and gravy, and waffles that you can make yourself. There was only one waffle iron, so both days we were there, there was an extremely long run. The food area was around 10ft by 5 ft and was like a little galley- extremely claustrophobic and every guest I stood around commented on this. There were maybe 6 small tables in the dining area, so each morning there were people upset because there was not enough seating. The worst thing was that the weekend we stayed was over 100 degrees F each day, and in the mornings was over 80 degrees by 10am, and the breakfast area had almost NO AIR, no fans, and no open windows. EVERYONE I saw in the area was sweating. Disgusting.

Customer service personnel were polite, but honestly, they looked unkempt and tired. I saw the same woman running the desk at around 3pm Saturday, 12am Sunday morning, 8am Sunday morning, 11pm Sunday night and 8am Monday morning. It was almost as if she lived at that desk, and I'm not exaggerating. I have no idea how she stayed awake.

Overall, we practically RAN out of that place, and I really feel bad for people that stay there. I have never written a hotel review before, but I had such a disgusting experience and the place is supposed to be a moderate level and didn't meet the standard at all. I don't want another family getting stuck in this dump. There was no excuse for it.

Room Tip: The first floor is supposed to be non-smoking, but it smelled so strongly of cigarettes when we got...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

Hello, I am the General Manager at Baymont Inn and Suites in Calumet City. I have read your response and I would like to apologize for your experience at our property. We have worked on the complaint with the pool, room, and breakfast as you had stated.
Racine, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

This was our first trip to Chicago and staying the the baymont inn was great. The staff was nice, they were very knowledgeable about the Chicagoland area and gave us a referral to a taxi-company who shuttled us back/forth to downtown Chicago at such a great price. The hotel is a nice place to stay

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Dean,

Thank you for your stay with us at Baymont Inn and Suites-Calumet City. I appreciate your kind words and am glad to hear that you had a wonderful stay at our property. Please stay with us again soon.

des moines,iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

my stay at the baymont inn & suites in calumet city,il was excellent. the staff was friendly you get a nice clean room at a great price and it's so easy to travel to downtown Chicago. the travel time to downtown chicago is 20 minutes and the hotel has free parking, free continental breakfast, free wi-fi. and an indoor pool,lots of fun with nearby restaurants and shopping malls.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for your stay with us At Baymont Inn and Suites. We truly appreciate the kind words and would absolutely love to see you again. Please stop in and see me.

Clive, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

Easy excess in and out I-94, Very good rate before entering Chicago downtown. Pool and spa nice and warm. Will stay again.

Room Tip: very good place to stay. It is worth your money.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for your stay at Baymont Inn and Suites-Calumet City. We appreciate your stay with us and please come visit us again soon. Please come and see me personally and I will be happy to assist you.

GM-Baymont Inn and Suites-Calumet City

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites - Chicago Calumet City? Share your experiences!