“Outstanding!” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Poole Street, Great Yeldham, England   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I recently stayed here through a secret escapes deal, and what can I say, excellent value for money! All the staff were incredible. The service we received was quick and efficient, everyone was so helpful, especially when questioned about particular foods. I stayed in a luxury deluxe room which looked amazing. With a comfy bed, 2 sinks and a huge bath. I couldn't fault it one bit! I can guarantee that we definitely got value for money. I wouldn't hesitate to stay again, we loved it!

• Stayed January 2013

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Essex, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Just to add to the good reviews following our overnight stay at the White Hart Great Yeldham at the end of October. We have stayed here on several occasions. This time we were able to stay in the Deluxe room which has been newly refurbished and is very spacious and comfortable. It is well worth upgrading the room if possible because, as previous reviewers have mentioned, the standard rooms are smaller with more basic facilities.

We had an excellent evening meal in the restaurant and the menu offers a good choice and uses local seasonal produce and wines are available at reasonable prices. Breakfast next day was freshly cooked to order and Hayley and her colleagues treated us very well throughout our stay as usual.

We enjoy staying at the White Hart and have always found it to be of good value and quality and look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Good value but could be much better. Room lovely but bathroom tiny with only a shower, no hand soap or soap dispenser but nice toiletries for shower, no shower cap.
Lovely handmade cookies in room , plenty of tea and coffee but only 3 milks.
Food ,beautiful presentation, lots of flavour, would eat here again. Good wine choice. Staff very attentive at beginning of evening but then ran out of steam. We didn't get our petit fours. Breakfast, bad service, young staff more interested in chatting, would not recommend.
We had a lovely stay but could have been so much better, if staff were to focus on the clients and the little things.

Room Tip: Would ask for bath as rooms with pnly shower were tiny.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Greenhithe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

A lovely period pub with truly amazing food, however the accommodation side did not live up to expectations. The website shows photos of an amazing plush bathroom with a free standing bath & wet-room shower however, unknown to us this is only in one of the rooms of the hotel. So my expectations of having a lovely relaxing bath during my stay were quashed when we walked into our cubby hole of a shower & toilet that was the en-suite to room 9. I asked to be moved to a room that had a bath but the one room that has one had already been booked. There were also a few other niggly problems with our room that are more frustrating than anything but did annoy me:

1) The toilet was leaking (only a small amount) onto the en-suite floor which we did report to the staff & they were helpful in trying to get it fixed, but did not offer us to move rooms.
2) The flat screen TV was fixed to the wall in a weird place so that it was flat against the right hand wall & the bed was in the middle of the room so when you were lying in bed the TV could not be adjusted to be watched easily unless sitting opposite in the single chair that was next to the bed. Not exactly comfortable. Also the TV's wall fixings were loose & coming out of the wall I assume that this is due to everyone that had stayed in this room had done exactly what I did & tried to adjust the TV to angle it towards the bed - without success!
3) My husband opened the small window in the morning as the room was warm & the handle fell off in his hand.
4) One of the touch sensitive bedside table lamps did not switch off - you had to unplug it to turn it off.

All of these little problems were reported on our checkout however, the receptionist did not note any of these things down & just apologised a little unconvincingly & took our payment. This did not give me the confidence in that these things would be addressed for future paying guests!

On the positive side the meal we had in the evening was stunning, they obviously have a very well trained & passionate chef. The breakfast in the morning was also lovely & the homemade biscuits that were left in the room (although I think a little under baked) were a very nice touch.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the bath in it!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
home
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We have just returned from our second stay at The White Hart and hopefully it won't be our last.
We stayed in Room 8 this time, which has an amazing bathroom with HUGE roll top bath and Monsoon Shower and a wet room,what luxury. After unpacking we went to the bar and ordered some drinks and sat on squashy sofas in front of a roaring fire reading the complimentary newspapers. Dinner in the evening was fantastic,the food here is probably the best we have ever had,and it all looks so beautiful and tastes wonderful,the chef is very very skilful. The Best thing about this place though is Hayley I think she is the Mangeress,she is friendly,but not overly so,nothing is too much trouble and she has a smile last thing at night and again first thing in the morning,I hope the owners realise what an asset she is and we look forward to staying again soon.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

Beware of the low beams when entering and leaving the bar/reception as I banged my head.

My room had a door handle which was hanging off. The room was not the cleanest, there were cobwebs along with dust and rubbish in the corners. There was no hand soap in the en suite and the wash basin was very small.

My room was noisy and I was woken up by strange banging noises there was also a lot of road noise and considering my room was one of the furthest back from the road, I should imagine the ones nearer the road are very noisy.

The restaurant bar was not the cleanest with dust and rubbish in the corners and on the radiators.

The choice of breakfast cereals was very limited cornflakes or Rice Krispies and the first bowl I picked had not been cleaned properly. The vegetarian cooked breakfast was ok but there were no vegetarian sausages.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Buildling: beautiful, oak beams, very cosy, open fire, good selection of drinks, daily papers, clean.

Grounds: well kept with nature walk included. Outside seating next to small river.

Staff: very friendly, couldn't help enough

Meal: 6 courses, all excellent, one dish a little on the cold side but high standard of presentation and excellent flavours. Local produce, following days breakfast menu very good. My wife had the 'Burham Salt Marsh Lamb Noisette & Haggis Stuffed Belly' which was extremely good and a must of all red meat lovers (see photo).

Rooms: Clean and airy, if a little noisy from upstairs floorboards at times but to be expected for the age of building. Some comments from other guests about the cleanliness of their rooms but ours was perfect. Handwash or soap would be helpful but free shower gel/shampoos provided. Toothbrush/shaving kit/etc available on request.

Overall an excellent and relaxing break. Highly recommended. Would recommend to friends and family and would certainly use again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The White Hart? Share your experiences!