“Stuck at Average” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Burr Ridge
Denver, CO
“Stuck at Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights for a wedding over a weekend. Here are my 6 thoughts:

1. It’s not really close to anything, however, it does have easy access to the highway which makes getting around to most places not too much of a pain.

2. The Front Desk manager, I believe her name was Jessica, was the least friendly member of the hotel staff I encountered. Everyone was else was fantastic (including the shuttle drivers).

3. The gentleman bartender on Saturday night, November 2 (wish I remembered him name), was excellent. Friendly, professional, and an all-around great bartender with great customer service—made the stay better!

4. The hotel is overpriced unless you have a special rate. Also, the hotel breakfast is really overpriced considering most of the food they serve is what you’d get at a Hampton Inn for free. The bar drinks are way overpriced, too.

5. Very nice exercise room, pool and hot tub—modern and clean.

6. The rooms are in desperate need of renovation. Their size is good, same with the bathroom, but the décor is stuck in 1994. They do have large flat screen TVs and the shower/tub has been extended for more room, which is nice (although the shower head is too low), but the hotel rooms have the look of 90s luxury.
Overall, an average full-service Marriott. 99% of the staff was nice, the spa/fitness center is great, love the extended shower/tub—but for the cost (rooms, breakfast, Internet, drinks all overpriced), lack of modern décor, and cranky front desk management, I can only give it an average rating.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
MarriottBurrRidge_IL, General Manager at Marriott Chicago Southwest at Burr Ridge, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Bill

Thank you for choosing to stay with the Chicago Marriott Southwest at Burr Ridge for your weekend wedding visit. Our team strives to provide an exceptional experience to all of our guests. Our property, at just 9 years old, is fortunate to be placed within walking distance to the Burr Ridge village center which offers a variety of restaurant and shopping choices for our guests to enjoy. We are delighted to hear you found the majority of the team to be fantastic, friendly and professional. We thank you for your candid feedback and hope to host you again and provide an exceptional stay.

The Chicago Marriott Southwest at Burr Ridge Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Hobart, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

My family and I stayed over night at the Marriott Burr Ridge, just to get away. We had a great room which was a suite, room for my son and a separate room for us. It had a frig to store drinks the bedding was top grade (my sons pull out bed wasnt as thin as a cracker either, like most hotels) and we took advantge of the pool and hot tub. My husband the health nut even used the gym and watched the World Series during his work out. BTW the washer and dryer were free (this almost never happens) We went shoping nearby and walked to Coopers Hawk Winery for dinner across the street. The staff was very accomodatingand greeted us with a smile. We wiil use this hotel again when we stay in the area.

Room Tip: We stayed in a corner suite by the emergency exit on the 7th floor this was an excellent room very q...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
MarriottBurrRidge_IL, General Manager at Marriott Chicago Southwest at Burr Ridge, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear Tonya

Thank you for choosing the Chicago Marriott Southwest at Burr Ridge for your getaway weekend. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your two room suite, taking advantage of our pool, hot tub, washer, dryer and our fitness facility. Our team hopes to flash our smiles, accommodate your needs and host you again in the near future.

Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

We were one here for one night but found the hotel to be perfect for our needs. Close to restaurants, grocery store and highway. The Burr Ridge area seems to be fairly new and we had never been there before. Only mildly annoying thing is that we were all hungry for breakfast on Saturday morning and the only option was the buffet. It was good though but would ne nice to be able to order off of the menu.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
MarriottBurrRidge_IL, General Manager at Marriott Chicago Southwest at Burr Ridge, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Brad

Thank you for choosing the Chicago Marriott Southwest at Burr Ridge and thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay. We have shared your comments with the team and we are delighted to hear that you found our property perfect for your needs. We hope to host you again when traveling to the area.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here two nights for a recent conference. As the room was clean and nice I was discouraged to find no fridge or microwave. Also $14 for Internet connection is a rip off. Last week I stayed at a different chain in Louisville, spent $70 and had all three included in the room!

The front desk staff was friendly and accommodating and had my groups rooms blocked off to allow for early check in.

The spa and pool was nice, but like other comments, I wasn't a fan of being stared at by those on the treadmills.

The breakfast food was usually cold and terrible (the orange juice was actually warmer) and the service was not much better. In just the observation of the "servers" they left utensils on the tables from other guests if they didnt appear to be used. My wife and I even witnessed one of the servers putting a knife into a set of silverware in which the last guest took out (who is to say the last guest didnt touch the fork or spoon too?) gross!!

My last issue is the height of the shower head. I am 5'9 on a good day, and the shower head was even with my neck so I would have to bend down to get under it.

Overall the stay was average, but not what I would expect from such a high end chain.

• Stayed October 2013
MarriottBurrRidge_IL, General Manager at Marriott Chicago Southwest at Burr Ridge, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear Akabj914

Thank you for choosing the Chicago Marriott Southwest at Burr Ridge and for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent visit. Our team strives to provide exceptional service and we encourage guests to alert our team while on property to address any concerns they may have. As a full service property we do offer an array of food and beverage options including room service. As an alternative to our guest room high speed Internet access we also offer a complimentary wireless Internet signal in our common space and offer complimentary access to our business center 24/7. We hope to host you again and exceed your expectations for any future visits to Burr Ridge.

Blacksburg, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

The entire area of Burr Ridge looks quite new and the Marriott fits right in with that theme. We arrived very early in the afternoon and yet the staff at the desk were still able to accommodate us by allowing us to check in early. The weather was beautiful and we enjoyed sitting outside looking at the pond and nicely landscaped surroundings. We all got salads for lunch which were good. I took advantage of the free internet in the bar area along with enjoying the nice views. It was a very pleasant environment. The room was fine with standard amenities, including a working environment with a desk (although as usual they charge you for the room internet). The only complaint that I had about this hotel is that the breakfast buffet was not very good. The options were limited and really the food didn't taste good. Because I was in a hurry both days, I did the buffet but it certainly wasn't worth the price. I also concur with other reviews that the Concierge lounge is pretty weak. I dropped by one night and the wine selections were not good and the snacks were not very appetizing either. In the bar downstairs, I had no luck getting waited on at one of the bar tables as well as when we were sitting outside to try to have a drink. The bar didn't seem to be staffed to wait on people in the evening. The hotel is in a great location, within a mile or two of many good restaurants as well as upscale shopping. I would definitely return to this hotel on my next trip to the area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
MarriottBurrRidge_IL, General Manager at Marriott Chicago Southwest at Burr Ridge, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Luv2g0lf

Thank you for choosing the Chicago Marriott Southwest at Burr Ridge. We are happy to hear our team was able to accommodate your early arrival and you were able to enjoy the surrounding Burr Ridge area, including the local restaurants. Taking advantage of the complimentary Internet in our lounge. It is clear you are a seasoned traveler and we appreciate your feedback as it is utilized to improve our services. We hope to host you when visiting this area in the future.

california
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I log close to 90 nights a year in Marriott properties - I like to know what to expect.

The good - This place is clean...., it looks new. The bed is comfortable, and you are across the street from some good restaurant/shopping choices.

The serviceable - The workout room was good, but the treadmills were staring into the pool area, right on top of the whirlpool (I don't know why they do that). If I'm working out I don't want to be forced to stare at fat guys in speedos or be on display to a bunch of screaming kids (like a hamster), and if I'm sitting in the whirlpool, I don't want someone standing over me.(?) Put up a curtain.

The bad - The Concierge lounge is the worst I've seen in several years. Stayed here several nights, and never did find anything worth eating in there. I guess the boxed cereal was okay..., but the fruit tray and eggs looked like leftovers from a 6 year-old's birthday party buffet. The evening offerings were just as bad - lousy hot dogs wrapped in bacon and some kind of puffed pastry, brownies from an easy bake oven, and a liquor selection found in the bushes during prom season. Didn't even have any mixers except pepsi, diet pepsi, or sierra mist.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear freakwentflyR

Thank you for choosing the Chicago Marriott Southwest at Burr Ridge. We appreciate your candor regarding your experience and our team has noted your concerns regarding the layout of our fitness facility in addition to food and beverage offerings in our concierge lounge. Your comments have been shared with our team members as we strive to provide a superior experience.

Vernon Hill, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area. It is very convenient to shopping and great restaurants (although the hotel has a bar and restaurant as well). The check in process was really smooth and pleasant. Room was quiet. Water in shower was perfect (contrary to another review). Staff was very responsive during every interaction that I had with them. Overall, it's more than just a place to stay but quite clean and comfortable as well. Starbuck coffee is served in the lobby in the morning- which is really nice too!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Annie

Our team would like to thank you for your recommendation to stay with our property, finding our room quite, water hot and the team very responsive during your stay. It seems you have taken advantage of the local shopping and dining option sin the Burr Ridge Village Center. We thank you for choosing the Chicago Marriott Southwest at Burr Ridge and look forward to hosting you for your next visit.

The Chicago Marriott Southwest at Burr Ridge Team

Been to Marriott Chicago Southwest at Burr Ridge? Share your experiences!