“Terrible Stay” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Bloomington
Springfield, Missouri
“Terrible Stay”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

The LaQuinta was easily accessible to the main road. We arrived around midnight and were looking forward to getting some rest. After searching for a parking spot we checked in and made our way to the room. As we were turning down our covers we were disgusted to see that there was used Kleenex in the bed along with sunflower seeds. My husband headed to the front desk to get a new room. After not even receiving a "sorry" from the desk clerk, my husband returned with a stack of sheets for us to change the bed linens ourselves. After requesting for pillowcases as well we received two for the five that were on the bed. We were freezing all night because all we had was the sheet as a new comforter was not supplied. The bed was comfortable and the shower worked properly. We noticed what looked like mold on the ceiling right below the toilet above our room. To the hotel's credit they did credit the cost of the hotel room after we requested a discount for the terrible stay. We will not return to this hotel even if the room is free.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

There were no issues with our stay at this LaQuinta. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was standard but very tasty. Our rooms were clean and comfortable. I would stay here again and recommend it to other travelers.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Birmingham, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Until this experience I had held La Quinta on a higher standard than other chains. If the broken down cars in the parking lot wasn’t enough of a sign to get out I don’t know what is. If it was just my family traveling we would have, but it was a large group together.

At first we were given a room on the 2nd floor for a week with no elevator, no microwave and no frig. Then the bathroom total is only about 4x3 and there is no room to move. The beds were horrible and very out of date. There were no extra outlets for chargers and things of that sort that are needed for travel these days. The neighborhood is horrific, as you should not walk anywhere alone. Take a look out the window at your view, oh wait; it’s just scum on the window. Nasty! Breakfast – well if you like cereal and a waffle. I did get a muffin one morning.

The staff was friendly, but did not speak very good English and I have never had a chain ask me if I would need housekeeping everyday! Weird!!!
Seem like this use to be some sort of military housing the way that the hotel is set up in a U shape.
I really think we should have been charged a lower rate like advertised as 56.00 or even lower.

Not worth what we were charged for a weeks stay. VERY DISAPPOINTED!!!!

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

The La Quinta Inn Bloomington-Normal was easy to locate -- close to the interstate, but far enough away to prevent traffic noise. The beds were comfortable, breakfast was tasty, and our room had a great shower (not one of those drizzly ones that require an hour to rinse). An excellent deal! We will definitely stay there again.

West Central Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

At first sight, this place looks okay. When you enter, there is still hope but that is where it ends.
The room was okay but badly outdated, which usually isn't a problem for me but this place is old and rundown.

My first problem was with the bathroom. The door is at an angel that makes a diagonal between the end of the tub and the toilet that face each other. (I.e. the entire bathroom is not as long as the tub, on the part where the tub is is that long.) The door opens 14 inches, if you take into account the doorknob, it opens about 10 inches. 10 inches!!! Unless you are a rail, you will get hung up on either the doorknob or the hardware where the door closes. I ripped a good shirt this way. The toilet and shower work but the grout is really nasty. I imagine it is difficult to clean such a space.

The rest of the room was old. The sheets were very low quality and there was still detergent in my sheets. I hope it was detergent! I wore my cloths to bed and showered in the morning. There was also a bit of glitter in my bed. This can happen even if washed and I am going to assume the sheets were washed, although I was a little scared. There were no bugs or evidence of any, so I stayed. The bed is old and worn out. It was NOT a pillowtop like advertised. It was okay but not very comfortable.

The area looks terrifying. I noted that a female traveler said there was no place for a woman to walk a dog. I can certainly understand not feeling safe in this area. However, I stay in the area every week and have never had a problem. It just looks scary. The Cracker Barrel next door would be a great place to walk a dog. Regardless, this hotel is strangely built and has several sections, maybe one is better than another.

I was on the first floor just down from the front desk and there was no smoke smell, which I appreciate.

There is a good selection of TV channels.

The breakfast features cold items and a waffle maker. It is okay. The other travelers seemed friendly, as did the morning staff who all spoke to me.

This place just needs updated in every way. They need to invest in some new, higher quality bedding and beds to begin with and then think about reworking those bathrooms. A deep cleaning in every room would also help. There is little they can do about the feel of the immediate area, but it just looks bad.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Bristol, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

For family reasons, I am traveling quite often by car from SW Virginia to Iowa. I recently signed up for a La Quinta reward card. I have stayed at 4 different LQs in the past two months and I am on a mission to find the best ones and pass the word.

Unfortunately, this is not one of the best.

You do know what you are getting with LQ. Nice beds, pet friendly, breakfast with waffles and yogurt, but not eggs or meat.

The proprieters were nice and friendly. My biggest complaint is the cleanliness of the room. Especially behind the doors. When I checked out, the nice person asked if I had any feedback and seemed to genuinely want to hear it. I hope they are serious about improving and that they do a thorough cleaning!

The outside door was not locked and so anyone could have entered the inner corridor near my room. Also, I did not find any nice place to walk and exercise my small dog in Bloomington. No where I looked seemed safe for a woman alone.

I am going to try to stay elsewhere if I have to stop in Illinois again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to La Quinta Inn Bloomington - Normal? Share your experiences!