“We go here often...it's great!” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #55 of 227 Restaurants in Bloomington
Cuisines: American
“We go here often...it's great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

Not sure why the bad reviews are here, but this is really good food! Slightly disappointed that they changed their menus again...had a great pulled pork bbq sandwhich, but apparently it wasn't very popular. We love their oriental asian salad. Haven't ever eaten here and had a bad experience...it's a GREAT chain restaurant. Seriously!

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

detroit
“I would rather eat at a Mcdonalds”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2010

We ate here because we had a gift card. Wish I could have returned that gift.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Bloomington/Normal, IL
“A slight dissappointment. We won't go back.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

We should have known, when we pulled in at dinner time on a Sunday night and the parking lot wasn't full.... BUT my young daughter picked this place as her birthday dinner location, so in we went.

We have travelled pretty extensively and have eaten at several different Applebees between Hawaii and Chicago. This location was by far the most depressing, in atmosphere, from the moment we walked in and the host fumbled around, looking for a menu to seat us, walked away for a few minutes and came back with a stack of menus and sat us.

Our server was - mediocre, friendly but your regular college kid doing this to earn some spending money, and obviously NOT working the tip angle, because she had a tepid personality at best. OH well, no matter.

Next to us, was a couple who was talking to an employee for probably about 20 or 30 minutes, as he sat in a booth next to them. In the mean time, dishes were stacking up on our table as appetizers came and 'stayed' until 3/4 of the way through our entrees.

The entrees were acceptable - my daughter's kids macaroni and cheese had a slight shell over it, as it had cooled while waiting for the other entrees. It was lukewarm in the middle and she only ate half of it. She can usually eat a full servinig...the fries with my burger were over salted and room temperature. My husband got the fajitas which were the only thing that was served 'hot'.

At dessert time, it was obvious that there was a birthday, by the presents at the table but also by the fact that my husband mentioned it to the server, but there was no offer of a kid's sundae or etc... as we looked through the dessert menu.

We ordered the 'sizzling apple pie', which by the time it came, was not sizzling, nor was there any indication that it ever had. The ice cream sat atop the slice of pie without bothering to melt. The server did bring my daughter a child's sundae, after we asked and my daughter innocently asked her, "aren't you guys going to sing happy birthday?" (she turned 7 yesterday).

To which the server said, 'Oh NO we're such terrible singers here, we never sing to anyone".

There are more chain restaurants per capita in this city than any other city in the U.S. My advice would be to go to TGI Fridays, Chilis or any of the many others, if you want good service and an upbeat atmosphere.

An end note- the bathrooms were in desparate need of attention, which I mentioned to an employee. I've been in gas stations along a busy highway that were cleaner.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“It's pretty good food and atmosphere is good. I think the prices are too high so I only go here when a friend insists...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

It's pretty good food and atmosphere is good. I think the prices are too high so I only go here when a friend insists on it.