“Beautiful property with thin walls” 4 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Bloomington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Illinois, United States
“Beautiful property with thin walls”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Spent two nights there for business. Beautiful, clean hotel right across from the airport. Baxter's Restaurant open for breakfast & AM room service, and dinner. No lunch. Close to a few restaurants - Avanti's, Buffalo Wild Wings and McDonald's. A few miles off Veteran's Parkway. The room was very comfortable and extremely clean. Only downfall is the very thin walls in the room. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the busy elevators.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
MIchelle I, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Airport, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Many thanks for your tripadvisor review. First of all, I apologize for the noise level you experienced during your stay. If you are a light sleeper, we are most happy to honor a request for an upper floor room perhaps at the end of a hall to ensure you only have one room next door...we do our best to honor our guests requests and happy to accomodate this if possible upon your return visit.
We do appreciate hearing the positives of your stay as well--knowing you enjoyed the adjoining restaurant for breakfast and dinner plus the other options within walking distance (Buffalo Wild Wings and Avanti's)....I think our location is perfect for the business or leisure traveler with so many options to chose. Room service is also a nice treat to have when staying in a hotel, especially when the food is exceptional (as is Baxters).
Thank you again and we look forward to your return and future comments.

Have a great weekend,
Michelle Irvin, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Great location, easy access, plenty of parking, clean, quiet and great restaurant attached to the property. The only thing more a biz traveller could ask for would be fast, free WiFi and this property has that as well. A good choice if you are coming to Bloomington. There is also a free shuttle service to the airport across the street. BTW even though the airport is literally across the street and I had an airport facing room. I did not hear a single plane for my entire stay!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you, Scott for the feedback and your comments. It is exciting to read great reviews from our guests!!!
We are very proud to offer exceptional amenities such as complimentary wifi and complimentary, convenient parking.
I appreciate your notation of the airport as well---you are correct, even though the airport is directly across from the hotel --our guests comment all the time how they do not hear the airplanes.
We welcome you back anytime and again, we value your comments.

Titusville, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I'll try to give a balanced review, even though I've decided I won't be staying at this property again.

I stayed at the HI Bloomington two weeks in a row last month on a business trip. The first week was fine - the rooms are fairly modern and clean, I had no issues with internet connectivity or speed, I was able to use the gym equipment - limited as it is - when I wanted. I wasn't terribly impressed with breakfast, and while I received a voucher at checkin so that it was effectively free, I noticed that it is valued at $12, which I thought was overpriced.
The second week, the problems started: when I checked in the first evening, I found that the hairdryer in my room was broken. I reported this to reception right away, and was told that they didn't have maintenance on site but would send someone round the next day. The receptionist then scribbled down my room number on a scrap of paper. I wasn't overjoyed at the prospect of leaving the hotel with wet hair the next day, but at least it was no longer below freezing.
Got back from work the next day, tried the hairdryer, and it was still broken. I reported this to a different receptionist as I left for dinner, who was very sympathetic and scrawled down my information on another scrap of paper. Needless to say nothing had happened when I returned later that evening. I checked out the next morning, and informed the receptionist that my hairdryer was still broken, and that it was now belching smoke, so they'd better fix it before someone burned the whole place down. The receptionist looked completely blank and obviously hadn't heard about this issue yet - and scribbled the room number down on another scrap of paper ...
My other issue was with the breakfast vouchers - one evening I specifically asked at reception whether I could apply it to room service as well, since I'd noticed that they offered two room service breakfasts, which priced at $7 and $8 respectively, so less than the $12 breakfast buffet the voucher is for. The receptionist said I could do that, so I had room service the next morning. I realized after the server had left that I'd been given the wrong breakfast, and that evening had a note from the manager telling me that I couldn't use the voucher for room service and would have to pay for it. I took this note down to reception, told them that of course I'd pay, but that I'd asked about this the previous night and been told I could use the voucher. Now, to be fair, if you actually read what it says on the voucher, it states quite clearly that you can't use it towards room service, so that was an error on my part, but what ticked me off a bit after all this was that instead of simply apologizing and saying they'd make sure everyone at the front desk had the same information, they got defensive and said I couldn't possible have received this information from them.
So overall I felt that while the infrastructure was fine, they needed to do some more work organization-wise and regarding customer service.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
MIchelle I, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Airport, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
I am very sorry for the frustration you experienced upon your recent stay.
I totally understand your concerns and have addressed this with our front line staff.
Your concern over the use of scrap paper was noted and also corrected as I also believe that the issue would have been handled upon your first notification had the clerk used the proper maintenance slips of which our property does have on hand--unfortunately, the clerks were simply not utilizing this form.
I do hope you accept our apology for our short comings and know that I am fully engaged in ensuring this issue is corrected and not a repeat issue at our property.
In addition, we will ensure we have extra hair dryers readily available.
As for the breakfast voucher, you are correct it does state not for "Room Service" on the voucher and have also reminded the front line staff members of this restriction as well. We apologize for the mis guided information on this as well. However, you may use the voucher for ala carte (freshly made to order entree off the menu in the dining room) or the breakfast buffet.
Again, I am sorry and appreciate you letting us know. In the future, please feel free to ask for a member of management for any and all concerns so that we can rectify prior to your departure.
It is our goal to overcome any issues prior to our guests departure and to exceed our valued guests satisfaction.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

We came down for a dance comp. The staff at this hotel was so very helpful and so willing to work with us in fulfilling our teams needs. I worked with Ron in sales and wow was he awesome! Can't wait til next year!!!!!

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
MIchelle I, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Airport, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Leslie:

Thank you so very much. Ron Oliver, our Director of Sales, was so excited to read your review. We were so honored to host the Dance teams and I can personally tell you---the teams we had for the Dance competition were all wonderful to work with. From the coaches to the parents to the students.....we welcome this group anytime.
This was the first year to host the Dance competition in Bloomington and from experience, I can say that this is the by far...was a great group overall. We host many events in Bloomington for various sports and it is always great to host teams that respect the hotel, respect our "other guests" and respect the staff----
Thank you for having a great team and we welcome you back with open arms....

Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

In the spirit of full disclosure I did not want too stay at another Holiday Inn due to previous issues with my last stay at one, but my preferred hotel (in this city) is booked for the entire year - so I decided to give this one a shot...

Good:

- New construction/ interior
- Clean
- Good size room with good layout
- Has Baxter's Bar & Grill attached, and Buffalo Wild Wings in the same parking lot.
- Breakfast is served by Baxter's (quite nice if you want to pay for it)
- Staff was decent
- got a call a few hours after check-in to make sure things were ok (told them about wireless/ internet issues - they rebooted a router and it temporarily fixed the issues)

So So:
- Small but decent work-out room (you better go extra early in the AM or after 6PM)

The Bad:

- The absolute worst thing about this location is the cheap construction. I could hear EVERYTHING my neighbors said or did. I could hear every word of a normal volume conversation a lady was having with her co-worker (who was an attorney discussing a case that was quite intriguing) on one side, while listening to some twenty somethings dicuss their recent drinking adventures until 12:30 AM. I could hear the whoosing water fly by head when toilets were flushed. Needless to say, I got very little sleep - seems to be a curse whenever I stay at a Holiday Inn/ HIE...

- The internet access was very poor. It seemed to be an issue of too many clients connected to a router or sheer bandwidth contention from too many users etc. I could not keep a VPN tunnel up for more than 15 min at time during the entire 4 days.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
MIchelle I, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Airport, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for your detailed feedback of your most recent visit at the Holiday Inn. I appreciate the time you took in noting the positive and negative so that we can address accordingly.
I am sorry that you were not able to sleep well while visiting our hotel, we honestly do not have complaints about noise due to our triple pane windows and staggered studded walls as well as concrete floors...the doors however, must be on automatic closures per local fire regulations.
I do apologize for the inconvenience that the noise caused you and would like to discuss with you in person.
We do appreciate your feedback and sincerly hope you will contact us to make amends for our shortcomings.

Waukesha, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

The hotel was wonderful, check Inn was real smooth. Friendly employee. Could answer questions. May be across from airport, but we never heard a plane. Large and clean 2 queens no smoking property. Will stay there again.
The only thing we went into the bar ordered each 2 drinks $19.00 female bartender. Very nice. Then we decided toeach have one more drink male bartender $11.00. It looks like the male bartender gave his self a tip. THat means 4 drinks would of been $22? So check cost of drinks. Ihad bar rail tequilla with coke. My husband had a namebrand gin and seven. We both stuck to our same drink all evening.

Room Tip: We were on 4th floor facing busy Empire Dr. HY.9
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
MIrvinGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Airport, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
We truly appreciate the time you took to comment on your stay.
I would like to apologize on the concern you had in regards to the pricing of the beverages from our adjoining restaurant. I have reported this to the owner of the restaurant to address ASAP with their staff. I am confident they will take your comments very seriously and address accordingly.
I am happy to hear you enjoyed your staff and the staff was also so welcoming to you.
We will look forward to your future visit and again, so much appreciate the information regarding your overall experience.

Windsor, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We recently stayed here for two nights before flying out on our vacation. The only real reason for staying here is that it offered a park and fly (shuttle) package. The two days that we stayed all of our questions were answered in a very dry. curt fashion. I even said to my husband that I was not feeling the love and they needed to do something about the manner in which they talk to people. Upon entering the restaurant on Friday morning we were handed menus and told that we had two minutes to order breakfast before was it over. My husband was sure to order the steak and eggs. On returning from our trip on Saturday, Jan. 5th, our plane landed at 9:30p.m. and upon collecting our luggage we called the front desk at the hotel and asked for the shuttle pick up. We were told that the shuttle did not start running again until 11 pm. After we told them that we had a park and fly package and our car was in their parking lot they told us that if we did not like it we could a cab. WOW. NEVER AGAIN.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
MIchelle I, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Airport, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
I am greatly concerned over the feedback you submitted and service received. Please contact me immediatly at the hotel to discuss further.
I apologize for the service you received and would like to discuss further to gain more details so that I can address appropriatly at the property level as well as make this "right" for you as our valued customer.

Michelle Irvin, GM

Been to Holiday Inn & Suites Airport? Share your experiences!