“Home from home/home office” 5 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Bloomington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Springfield, Illinois
“Home from home/home office”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

Traveling as much as I do, I always try to stay at this property and have done so on a regular basis for the past 5 years since it was new. The management and staff continue to keep it in prestine condition and always take the extra effort to ensure that my comfort is assured. With a 24 hours fitness room and a premium bar restaurant on premises, it truly caters for all my requirements while on the road and is right next to (but not disturbed by) the airport for when I need to fly. I have also held several meetings there and found the facilities very good and the lunch food exceptional, the restaurant is open all day. Michelle and her team are an asset to the HI group, I only wish hotels in other towns went to the same lengths to secure my business.

Room Tip: They are all good rooms
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
MBECHER, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Airport, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Your compliments are much appreciated. We have many guests that consider our hotel a home away from home! And I am thrilled that you consider our staff and hotel your hotel of choice.
Our restaurant, Baxters American Grille, is an exceptional place to dine with friends and co workers--the food is amazing in taste as well as presentation.
Our meeting space is very popular in our community for small to large events. Guests particularly enjoy our flexible rooms which include wifi and built in AV.
As always, we do appreciate your business and will look forward to your continued business.
Respectfully,
Michelle Irvin, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

I stayed in this hotel recently while attending a funeral in the area. I realize that every market is different and I don't normally visit cities this small so please take that into consideration.

What I liked:

• The hotel is new and the rooms are very clean. It's been years since I've stayed in a Holiday Inn and have always thought of the brand as aged and not maintained. This is obviously changing.

• The hotel is located very close to the Bloomington airport.

• While the fitness room is small, it is well maintained.

• They have wired and wireless internet in the rooms and the internet speed is adequate.

Where improvements could be made:

• Availability of power outlets. This hotel has conference/meeting space which tells me that they are trying to attract a business crowd. Most of us who travel for business use our cell phones as alarm clocks rather than trying to figure out each hotel's. It amazes me when hotels like this put no power outlets next to the bed. All they have to do is put a lamp with power outlets in the base next to the bed.

• Price/service mismatch. There must have been something going on in town when I was there because I can't imagine that $185/night is the standard rate for a hotel in Bloomington. Anyway, if you are going to charge $185/night, the service and quality of food should match. As one reviewer stated before, it's well intentioned, but falls short.

• Breakfast Buffet. It's odd to pay $185 a night for the hotel and then see the breakfast buffet advertised for $7.99. My immediate thought was "terrible food"; I was not wrong. The first thing I noticed was that I was the only person other than a man and woman sitting at one table in the restaurant at 7AM. Not a good sign. Second, there seemed to be no one working. Oh, wait, the woman sitting with the man was working. Silly of me to expect her to be waiting for customers. I went to the buffet (which didn't have plates) and was underwhelmed. I won't go into the details but serving cold, dry food does not match with the "upscale hotel" claim of this hotel on the Holiday Inn website. My advice is to up the price (in upscale hotels it's not unusual to see breakfast buffets for $20 and up), drastically improve the food, and make an option for ordering off a menu.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Thank you so very much for your honest feedback both positive and less than favorable. We can only grow from knowing our shortcomings--thus we sincerly appreciate knowing what areas we can improve upon.

I agree with you on the outlets and locating them on the base of the lamps. Our hotel is just at 4 years of age and the lamps of which we do have on property are the approved lamp for Holiday Inn. However, I am happy to say that the "replacement" lamps and "new builds" do have lamps that have the outlets in the base. So, as our lamps are replaced---you will see that ours will have the outlets as well.:) I will say our hotel does have 4 outlets behind the nightstands--where most hotels have two.

As for the shortcomings of our adjoining restaurant at breakfast---I have conveyed your comments to the owner of Baxters and General Manager of Baxters. They were very concerned and deeply apologetic for this experience. They both assured me that the two employees mentioned have been identified and expectations are noted.

Again, many thanks for taking the time to notify Tripadvisor of your experience and rest assured, your comments are taken very seriously.

Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

We were in Bloomington for an AAU Indoor National Track & Field Championship, and the team’s hotel was the Holiday Inn Airport. We got a special rate and I must say, the hotel was really nice. Friendly check-in - Great room – Very large suite with doors to shut off the bedroom - Small bathroom – Very clean – Nice lobby area – Connected to Baxter’s American Grill. We were quite pleased and hope the team chooses to stay there next year.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the business as well--we so much appreciate parents utilizing our hotel when in town for sporting events.
We know how tiring traveling can be and also realize the financial impact as well. Thus, we do keep both of these factors in mind when proposing a rate for sporting events as well ensuring our staff fully understands the committment that goes along with these sporting events ( not only the student but the parents).
We recently designed alternative options for teams while staying at our hotel to assist with the cost of food and entertainment---so be sure to inquire about these upon your next trip to Bloomington Holiday Inn.
As always, we appreciate your business and will look forward to your return.
Respectfully,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel with family members and guests about six times since it opened several years ago. Being from the Bloomington-Normal area, I love the location of this hotel. I have always had great service and my only complaint is that the last time I tried to get a room on a holiday weekend, all of the suites were already booked. I guess everyone else had the same idea of relaxing at this great hotel!

• Stayed March 2011
Thank you so much!! I am sorry that you were not able to get your "suite" upon your last trip to Bloomington at our hotel. Our suites are very much in demand---probably because they are not priced much higher than our standard rooms and offer so much space plus TWO flat screen TV's and a living room.
Please feel free to ask for our Guest Services Manager if you are unable to reserve the room type you wish---he will be most happy to place you on standby and monitor cancellations in order to accomodate your requests.
Your favorable comments will be shared with our staff and management---we value your business and will look forward to your return.

Much appreciated,
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

Check-in staff - Friendly
Room - Spotless
Airport noise - didn't notice any
Price point - Right on
Location - Could not be better! It is directly across from the airport, which is great for early departures
Stay there again? Absolutely!
Recommend to friends? Already have!

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! :)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Loved your comments and the simplicity of your positive remarks as well.
Very much appreciated!!!
Our location works out well for those guests utilizing our airport. We not only provide shuttle service to/from --door to door service but also offer park and stay packages.
Our hotel was constructed with triple pane windows...thus you will not hear the planes flying over as in most airport properties.
Traveling guests can also enjoy room service for breakfast or dinner which is especially nice after a long day of traveling.
Our staff and management will look forward to your return.

With much gratitude for your comments and business,

Salem, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

This motel has airport shuttle, which is helpful, but was sub par compared to other Holiday Inn Express motels I have stayed at. One night the shower only had luke warm water, and some towels were shabby. They had little fridges, but they weren't on, and they expected the customer to reach around a find a little knob on the back with no instructions. Then once on it made a racket. My first night there the bed was uncomfortable, but when I came back for my AM flight out and stayed there again, the bed was better. They could do a better job, because otherwise the place is decorated nice and a good location.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
MBECHER, General Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites Airport, responded to this review, January 24, 2012
I am so sorry that you were not 100% satisfied with our accomodations. We typically always get raving reviews regarding the comfort of our beds. Although it is hard to please everyone on the type of bed that best suits their liking...IHG (InterContinental Hotel Group) did research and beta tested the type of mattress that satisfied the majority of the guests. I am happy to hear your second night was more comfortable:)

We pride ourselves in being a GREEN friendly hotel and part of that was to not have our refrigerators in the on position. Studies have proven that many guests do not use the units, thus the wasted energy. We did implement this for about 6 months and have found it did irritate more guests than it was worth. Therefore, we have turned the units back on for each and every arriving guest.

I do appreciate your comments. As you can see, feedback is so important to our future success. Had it not been for guests such as yourself conveying thier displeasure of the refrigerators being turned off---we would not have known this was an irritating element.

Thank you again for taking the time to write your comments. We do so much value your business and look forward to your return.

Andalusia, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

Stayed 2 nights here based around flights in and out of the nearby airport.

1st night: Everything went rather well. Nice room and met my expectations. Got up in the morning and had luke warm water in the shower. It never did get hot. Not a good thing at 4 in the morning.

2nd night: Got in late and got our room. Room was not what we requested. We were put in a handicapped room with one bed. No other rooms for a family of four. Had to ask for two roll away beds and was charged for them. Asked for refund the next morning and no luck. Other family left later and and argued with them and they finally reversed the charges.

In closing- Good parking and good transportation to the airport. Other than that the staff and Management just don't get it. Is the customer always right? Not at this Holiday Inn. Will not go back. Oh by the way, this is how they treat their Holiday Inn Priority Club Members.

Good facility and terrible staff.

Room Tip: If you like a thin pillow bring your own. The pillows in the rooms are rather tall.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments. I attempted to research your reservations to investigate how the room type was not followed through and to also review your billing but I do not have a reservation of the name of Rob Harley.
We would like to resolve this issue with you, therefore if you could kindly contact myself at the property direct 309-662-4700, I would like the opportunity to make this "right" with you and your family.
Our hotel prides itself in providing the accomodations as they are reserved, therefore I am very anxious to get more information from you to ensure we can make amends with you.
I appreciate the review on Tripadvisor, however respectfully request that you contact me directly to resolve your concerns.
I am not aware of this particular issue and wish to personally discuss with you.

Michelle Irvin, GM

Been to Holiday Inn & Suites Airport? Share your experiences!