“Consistently Delicious” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Biaggi's - Bloomington is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 227 Restaurants in Bloomington
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: General Electric Road
Chicago, Illinois
“Consistently Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have been a Biaggi's fan for some time. I was delighted to learn that they have locations in many of the areas I travel throughout Illinois. Whether or lunch or dinner, I always find selections that please. The salads are crisp and generous, the pastas delicious. Their wine selections pair nicely with their entrees and I always save room for dessert. Apart from dining in small business groups, I have attended large group luncheons. The portions are generous, the staff is present but not intrusive, and the business amenities are up to date.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Flower Mound, Texas
“Good Italian fare”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Service was excellent. I usually order spaghetti and meatballs in an Italian restaurant because I like it and because I figure if they can't do that right, they likely will not do anything else right. I was not disappointed. It was very good. My friend ordered rigatoni and it looked very good too. He finished it all so he must have liked it too. Busy place. I can see why.

Visited August 2013
Springfield, Illinois
“Visited for lunch, stayed for Cannoli!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

My colleague and I stopped by Biaggi's for lunch and enjoyed the 1/2 salad, 1/2 pasta selection. The service was very good even though the restaurant was extremely busy during the lunch hour. The bread basket was tasty and the salad was well dressed and flavorful. The ingredients were all fresh and crisp and the dressing was not overpowering. The pasta dishes we had were wonderful. Fresh, tasty and well flavored. The portion size was perfect for lunch. Although I rarely order dessert in restaurants (usually they are disappointing), we decided to split the cannoli. It was amazing. The cream was light and not too sweet, while the shell was light and crispy. The perfect end to a delightful lunch!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bethesda, Maryland
“Not the "best" but really, really good!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We visited Biaggi's in Bloomington on our previous visit to the area 10 years ago - and I fondly remembered how great the lasagna was. I couldn't resist having it again this time, even though there were many lower carb, healthier choices on the menu. I wasn't dissappointed! Fortunately, they offer a 1/2 salad and 1/2 pasta option and my spinach salad was excellent as well. The atmosphere was relaxed, the service was very good, and all four in our party were pleased. It's not as innovative as some higher-end restaurants so I can't say it was the "best" meal I have ever had, but for price and quality, it was certainly really, really good.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
San Diego, California
“Disappointed after the hype”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

This place came highly recommended by local friends and we left bummed out. It didn't live up to its service or food reputation.

Now I'm not really expecting a Rome, Milan, or Venetian experience from an Italian place in the middle of mid-America but I'd heard all sorts of raves on this place including several references from an Illinois State marketing professor the following day while working with a large corporate client in the region. As far as all of us were concerned - this was a disappointing meal and experience.

We stood for about 20 minutes after our 6:30 PM reservation until we were guided to the table. Surprising since we could see open tables and we were one of only two parties in the front of the house. It was busy. In fact, the noise level was almost inappropriately high.

Got to the table and we had a waiter with us shortly. Young fellow. Didn't seem to use to be extremely experienced. Nice. Hey, it's downstate Illinois, one of the capitals of nice. But he wasn't Italian-food knowledgeable, adept at capturing orders accurately, or completely. Not the "being a waiter is an honor and privilege" that I heard the next day.

We ordered an app, three mains, and two of us ordered glasses of wine. They leave bread, a fairly standard ciabatta and another sort of unusual bread for an Italian place. They also do this odd oil and parmesan concoction that evidently is a favorite with the locals. I found it unappealing with an oil I didn't think was up to the price points and some pre-(probably factory)-grated Parm. So far so unimpressive.

My wine arrived OK. The other didn't. When it came it was a sweet white (maybe a Rhine?) instead of the Pinot Grigio she'd ordered. I think the waiter didn't quite hear Pinot Grigio correctly so we reemphasized it. Strike two.

I found the menu confusing with a lot of pasta choices that were mostly baked rather than freshly prepared. This was opposed to the meat entrees what were grouped later in an odd layout that favored Midwest-like takes on the meat and pasta desires of the clientele (or ownership). But if you'd wanted something beyond a basic spaghetti with a meaty sauce or a full regalia of al forno dishes - this is not your place.

The mains arrived and I swear my penne sort-of-arriabiata (Sardi) had been preassembled, probably micro-thawed and popped in an oven. I'd never had anything like it before and I don't mean that in a positive way. And it was $14.50. OK. But at that price it should have been something interesting. A Ziti al Forno wasn't ziti at all but something penne-like and really bland. Sorry, but all the meals were representatively poor and departures from my guests prior experiences.

When our waiter was questioned about the changes he professed ignorance without revealing what I suspect wasn't a long history with the restaurant. I got apologies from my guests as we got the prompt service of the bill and we made our way away from the place.

Overall take? This is an Italian-sound-alike started by some anglo guys in the middle of the country and expanded at break-neck speed. They're shooting for becoming another Carrabas or Macaroni Grill or (gasp) Olive Garden.

They're succeeding.