“Clean and expensive” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Bloomington West

You added Holiday Inn Express Bloomington West to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Bloomington West
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1031 Wylie Drive, Bloomington, IL 61704 (Formerly Bloomington Inn & Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Bloomington
MN
“Clean and expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2008

This hotel is clean and in a nice location. Close to the interstate and close to shopping and restaurants. However, this hotel is very expensive for such a small area. The other hotels were booked up, which is why we picked this particular one that evening. Maybe there was something going on in the area to have such expensive rates.
The clerk was nice enough. The lobby was clean, as was the room, however, the floor of the bathtub/shower had a rusty spot where water puddled up on it. The exhaust fan was broken AND the deadbolt on the room door was broken.
There were alot of construction men staying in the hotel and they got quite loud and obnoxious a few times, once when we were sharing an elevator ride with them and at breakfast they kinda took over the whole room, leaving little left to eat.
The pool and workout room were in good shape.
We probably wouldn't pick this area to stay in again. Too expensive.

• Liked — cleanliness and well lit parking lot
  • Disliked — it needed some upkeep in the bathroom and a new lock on the door room
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Julie B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bloomington West, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for your review, we want to make note that are we a newly renovated hotel as of May, 2012 and under new ownership as well.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2008

We chose this hotel as an overnight stopping point midway on a trip. Priority Club rated it a commendable performer, but I do not give it high marks. We had hoped to use the pool after a long day at work followed by 6 hours of driving. And although I had read a review on Trip Advisor saying the pool was having difficulties, it was from more than a year prior to my trip, I assumed (when you assume...) it wouldn't still be an issue. It is. There was some kind of murk that obscured even the lights in the pool. The room we had was booked as "Executive King" which was a king bed with a futon pull-out. All of the furniture had to be reconfigured in order to pull out the futon. I will commend the breakfast. Everything was hot and quickly replenished even at 9:30 am when other breakfasts start winding down. I will choose a different stopping point next trip.

• Liked — gave priority rewards
  • Disliked — pool
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
corpNewYork, owner at Holiday Inn Express Bloomington West, responded to this review, July 16, 2009
the Holiday Inn that the guest is speaking about is the Holiday INN which closed sever weeks ago. This is not our Hotel !
Rochester, MN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2007

First, I am noticing a trend .. many HI Expresses appear to be other hotels rebranded. According to the elevator, this used to be a Wingate? Otherwise, convenient location in Bloomington, but nestled between an Aldo's store and an abandoned night club. Our room had a great view of the crumbled cement blocks of the old night club. Also, one of the most pricey HI Expresses I have stayed in ... but check-in service was excellent with breakfast served on-time. The room was not as clean as I usually exptect, however. Arrangement of king suite was very business traveler friendly however. For this price though, I would check other options next time, however.

• Stayed September 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
sullivan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2006

At this hotel there is a sign and It reads - On Fri. & Sat. night on the North side there will be music probably late and their sorry but there is nothing they can do about this. So I ask a clerk named Erik if this is a sure fire deal, only on Fri. and Sat.. He sarcasticly replied, SEE THE SIGN. Didn't care for that. Well on Wed. of that very week guess what? Yup there was a band. Caused problems for me and my entire gang. I asked to be moved which a helpful young lady did a good job of. I wish I got her name. Next night I tried to use the computer, and a scruffy looking big guy with a 7 o clock shadow seemed way to impatient to assist me. I was doing buisness at the buisness desk down stairs and every time I need something ( 3 times total ) he seemed really put out to have to get off the phone with who ever he was having such a long conversation with. (30 Min.). And over the period of 3 weeks total, I had several more and even much, much, much worse things happen of which I can not put down here. And I will say before it was all said and done, I did contact Wingate Inn corporate and they were not much help either. So if you choose this hotel, good luck.

• Liked — Close to food and necessities.
  • Disliked — The help!!!!
  • Tips/Secrets — Pick another spot.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
HIEXManager1031, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bloomington West, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
Luckily, the night club is no longer behind us and there are no more noise issues!
Roeland Park, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2006

It was very late when I finally got to the Wingate Inn and upon my arrival I had to stand in the lobby for about 15 minutes, constantly ringing the service bell that was placed on the counter for a young gentleman to finally wait on me. This gentleman looked rather un-groomed (like he did not bother to comb his hair or at least shave for about a week), and he did not seem to be in the proper professional attire. He was rather short with me while checking me into my room, as if he were in some kind of hurry, but the phone was not ringing and I was the only customer in site. I later came to find out his name was Josh by consulting with some fellow guests at breakfast who informed me that he acted the co mplete opposite for them.
When I finally got to the floor of which my room was on I was both shocked and appalled by the amount of smoke I could smell in both the hallway and in my room. I specifically requested a Non-Smoking room, which I did get, but the entire floor I was on smelled of smoke. I was tempted to call down to the front desk but was way too tired to deal with the clerk’s sass.
When I finally unpacked everything and crawled into bed, I started to hear music. At first I thought it was just coming from a car that was passing by, but this loud noise did not seem to stop. Fed up with just about everything that was going on with this stay I finally attempted to call down to the front desk. The phone rang and rang and no one ever picked up. I tried two more times before deciding to just suck it up and sleep.
While checking out in the morning, the young desk clerk, this time it was Erik, seemed willing and eager to help me. He apologized numerous times for my shortcomings and explained to me that there is a bar located right next door to this establishment and that Josh was supposed to warn me of this last night. There is also a sign set out on the counter explaining the fact that there is usually a band at this bar and that if you’re right next to it you probably will not sleep.
The clerks at this establishment appear to be hit-or-miss and the rooms are not worth what you pay for them. I say, go somewhere else, far far away.

• Liked — The business center/accomidations
  • Disliked — The front desk staff (Josh)
  • Tips/Secrets — Watch out and just fake nice
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Charleston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2006

The Good: Cookies in the afternoon.
The Bad: A sour smelling bed. I could never figure out whether it was the sheets, the blanket, the pillows, or the mattress, but it was not a pleasant odor to surround me as I climed into bed during my two night stay.
The Ugly: No functional phone in my room for my entire two night stay. Had to go into the business center to make calls.

• Stayed September 2006
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2006

We had booked a King Suite at their 'best rate' for two nights at this hotel using their website. Upon arrival the friendly young lady at the reception pointed out to me that it was just the Jr. King Suite, not the real King Suite and she offered me to upgrade for the price difference. It was late and I did not feel like arguing or even cared, but I feel that if I have website receipt stating it's a King Suite, it should be one, or their website needs to be more specific.

The room was nice and clean. It was quite roomy, had a chaise type chair as well as a kitchenette with a sing, microwave and refrigerator. The bathroom was of decent size, a tile or two were missing, but other than that it was clean. The water had a great temperature range; enough towels were present as well as the typical soap, shampoo and conditioner. The room had a bit of an odd order to it, which we were not sure if it was related to cleaning solutions used, or the air-conditioning unit.

If you like your rooms cold, but easily get sick with a draft of cold air, this room type is not for you. The bed is immediately placed next to the air conditioner unit and constantly blows cold air on you. It did not bother us, but I know people that would not be able to handle that.

We tried to place some calls to local restaurants to inquire about the menu, and every attempt to dial out failed. After consulting with the front desk we learned that our room had a faulty line, which was known by the manager but not relayed to the rest of the staff. She promptly offered to move us, but we just used our cell phones instead.

The fitness room looked small but efficient, we did not make any use of it. The pool was very cloudy, which did not appear to bother some of the kids swimming, but it definitely looked like the chemicals were quite out of balance.

The breakfast had a decent selection; one lack was the waffle maker, which had a line forming. I personally don’t understand why they can’t invest in more than one. This one appeared to be either old or not a good model, because most everyone’s waffles got stuck on the grid. There was some spray offered to put on, but unless you knew, you messed your waffle up and moved along to eat a bagel instead. The buffet is available till 10:00 am, but the young gentleman responsible for restocking and cleaning the buffet, began cleaning up at 9:50 am and even went from table to table to take away people’s salt and pepper shakers while we were still eating. When my wife wanted another glass of orange juice, she approached the buffet and asked Scotty who worked the front desk about glasses. He just glanced at her and continued filling his own plate with the leftovers. She ended up using her used glass.

After we returned to the hotel the first day, our room key had quit working, even so we were booked and confirmed for two nights, we required a trip back down from the 3rd floor to the front desk. Scotty again here was not very friendly, I told him the key quit working, and all he did was ask for the room number and handed me a new one. No apologies offered and even worse, no security question asked, anybody could have taken off with my camera and computer equipment this way.

Last but not least, if you prefer a good night sleep, request a room with an uneven number. The rooms with even numbers are facing a bar that plays very loud music and the base was easily heard in the hotel.

All in all – our stay was average – no real problems, but also no real “Let’s stay here again” experiences. I would neither recommend nor warn anybody of this hotel, but I would probably try another one next time. In that price class there is enough competition that I expect certainly more service and flawless properties. My clients expect that from me, so I expect it from anyone that I pay for any service as well.

• Liked — Convenient Location
  • Disliked — Below Average Service/Friendlyness
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay in a room with uneven number to avoid noise
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Holiday Inn Express Bloomington West? Share your experiences!