“Not impressed.” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Bloomingdale
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not impressed.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Old, dingy, dated decor, poor service, unorganized staff. I checked in at 6 and room still wasn't ready. When I finally into room an hour later, still had trash from prior guest. For inconvenience, I got vouchers for breakfast next morning, which was school cafeteria syle breakfast buffet. Made do because it was free and convenient, but would not have paid the $12 +tax and tip menu prices.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Wood Dale, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

On Saturday January 5th, my (now) fiancé had rented one of the penthouse suites (602 and 604) as well as 2 other rooms (both on the 5th floor) at the Indian lakes resorts.
When we arrived, we noticed that the television was not working properly in our room (602 and 604). My fiancé called guest services for assistance and finally after a few hours of having the room it worked. We questioned – why was the TV not functional when guests were due to arrive?

After getting settled in, I noticed that in the master bath there were no face towels or hand towels. I’ve never been to a hotel room that wasn’t fully stocked with the needed towels. I called guest services to have towels brought up, they suggested I call back when I was ready to use one, this was an inappropriate response from guest services. We questioned – why were the bathroom’s not properly stocked with towels?
While taking a shower in the master bath, I noticed a used women’s shaver and 3 half used complimentary bottles (shampoo, shower gel and conditioner) lying on the top rail of the shower wall. It was obvious that the bathroom had not been cleaned after it was last used. This is a sanitary and health issue I was not comfortable with. We questioned – why was the bathroom not cleaned or not cleaned properly?
To top it off, after spending an ample amount of money at the restaurant (Shiraz) and bar also located in the facility, we were interrupted by a fire alarm that continued to go off for a very long time at about 2:30 AM. After several failed attempts to contact the front desk, we were informed that it was a false alarm. However, about 15 minutes after the call facilities and firemen were knocking at our door asking if our sprinkler systems were going off. We realize emergencies do occur and the alarms are there for our protection. This was very inconvenient and what we questioned was the need to allow the fire alarm to blast for over 30 minutes (if a false alarm) in addition to being misled by the front desk
My fiancé spent a great deal of money at this hotel. From renting the Penthouse Suite, renting 2 additional rooms, paid for a full course meal at Shiraz for 6 people, and bought an ample amount of drinks down at the bar underneath the restaurant, I am very disappointed with our stay at this hotel. Honestly I cannot recommend this hotel to my friends and family as the facilities lacked luster and attention to detail.
Due to the fact that this was my surprise engagement, and I was extremely ecstatic about it we were able to work around these issues and enjoy ourselves, however we all agree that we were dissatisfied with the hotel and due to the fact that just our party alone spent well over $1,000 just in one night and I think we should be reimbursed or compensated in some way. My fiancé advised that this facility was chosen in hopes that we would end up liking it so much that we could consider it for our reception this year. Unfortunately, due to our dissatisfaction, Indian Lakes cannot no longer be considered. In addition to it all, I’ve written a very detailed dissatisfaction letter to a Jamil Rathore (hotel manager) on 1/9/13 and here it is 1/22/13 and have yet to receive an email, a phone call or even a letter in the mail from this hotel.

So...No I would not recommend this hotel!

As a side note: I do want to mention that the staff onsite during the times that we were there were great. Had they not have been, the overall rating would be Terrible!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Jill H, Manager at Hilton Chicago/Indian Lakes Resort, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
First of all, thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I thank you for selecting us for such a special occasion as your engagement and truly apologize that we did not meet your expectations. I was extremely disappointed to read from your review that you had some issues at our hotel. I sincerely apologize if your room was not properly cleaned and that our staff did not respond to your concerns in an efficient and courteous way. I can assure you that our main priority is for our guests to have an exceptional stay with us and we will do everything we need to do to ensure that these issues are corrected. I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guests experience and I will keep your review in mind. Thank you again for your feedback and I invite you back to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to the area.

Travelers are raving about these Bloomingdale hotels

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I, and my business associates have been coming to this property for the last 12 plus years and enjoyed every stay ... Hilton took over the management a coupple of Years ago and upgraded the facility with new electronics, beds, carpet and "top-notch" Hotel Management ... Keep it up Hilton !!
Want to give a "shout out" to the Great Front Desk Staff - Stephanie and Sue whom get 5 Stars !! Maria at the Masters Club House - Great Breakfast and Lunch !! A Big Thank You to Dan and Jim at the Shiraz for delivering another great experience for our annual dinner at the Shiraz ... bottom line the Hilton Management Team has been awesome troughout the Years, with Roni the Initial Hilton Manager, Dino, Lisa, Greg and Jill ... and I believe they are getting a new Manager for 2013 ....

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I was attending a conference at the hotel and my husband decided to join me. As an amateur photographer, he loved walking the grounds and photographing the golf course and flora/fauna. Overall, we enjoyed out stay. The room was nice, but strangely shaped, making a bit of the space not really useable. The pool was nice and we went each night. We ate at both the restaurant near the golf course (for lunch) as well as the standard restaurant. The restaurant did have some troubles accommodating my food allergies (onions and peppers) and I settled on the cheese platter (cheeses, nuts, some fruit, etc).

The inside of the hotel is difficult to get around as it seems to be hexagon shaped. The rooms are a bit of a walk to the conference rooms. Additionally, my conference had breakfast and a snack served each day. However, they serve these in the hallway outside of the conference rooms, and 2 times there was not enough food for the participants, as other groups having conferences were ignoring the signs that it was for us and were taking platefuls of our food with them. To have a hotel employee to help monitor who is eating the food would be helpful. Also, the walls of the conference rooms were thin. As we were learning new medical techniques, a sorority group and a gospel convention (I assume) were also in attendance and made it difficult to hear our presenter.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Lake Mary, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

My family and I stayed here for 5nights about four years ago. This is a GREAT hotel, we loved it we are making another trip to chicago thinking about staying here again hope it is just as nice.The golf course was a really nice treat, my mom went to the spa, she said it was really nice. The beds were comfy and the hotel was very clean, customer service was wonderful. I will let you know if they still live up to there name after four years.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Romeoville, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We stayed at Indian Lakes for a holiday party and were pleased with our room. We had a room on the 2nd floor facing the atrium. It really was a pretty view, they had the atrium decorated for the Christmas holiday. I never noticed the noise that others complained about and we were right across from "The Cave" bar. Maybe we just got lucky and were there on a quiet night. I found the room clean and bedding comfy. The bathroom large and also clean. The hotel rooms have an octagon shape and when your walking in the halls you're walking in the same octagon like direction. It's different, that's for sure. I not saying bad, just different. Really the only thing that turned me off was the sign on the room refridgerator. It mentioned that it was monitored with sensors and it would cost you to use it. I mean, we have stayed at many hotels and the room refridgerator is pretty standard. We never used the pool, so I can't comment. It did look real nice though as we passed in on our way to dinner. The dinner in one of the banquet rooms was very good with excellent service, no complaints.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Waterman, Illinois, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Horrible experience. I would not recommend this property to anyone. I live in the local area and I thought it would be fun for my 3 kids to go stay for the weekend, just Saturday and Sunday swim in the pool and just relax. I was wrong. At first there didnt seem to be any problems other than never being any towels at the pool and the place was a little say unclean, but we dealt with it. Then we noticed the hot tub water was an orange color and smelled like dirty clothes. Obviously we stayed away from the hot tub from then on but the damage was done. All 3 of my boys broke out with a rash by Sunday evening, by Monday they were complaining of earaches. Monday night I had them at the Doctor and they all had bacterial infections of the skin and inner ear- ALL 3. Never had any of them had bacterial skin infections before never had 3 earaches at the same time. Something is wrong with this place it needs to be closed for a week of intense cleaning. The thought of this place makes my skin crawl. If you need to stay here bring your own bedding and stay out of the pool/hot tub, its not worth the risk. My kids suffered for days and missed 3 days of school after this little excursion to the bacteria inn.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Jill H, Manager at Hilton Chicago/Indian Lakes Resort, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
First of all, thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet expectations and I am actively working with our housekeeping team to ensure our standards of cleanliness and comfort are consistently met. I understand the condition of the hot tub was of concern, I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guest experience and I will keep your review in mind as we look towards refresh options. Thank you again for your feedback and I invite you back to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to the area.

Been to Hilton Chicago/Indian Lakes Resort? Share your experiences!