“Decent food, nice service, huge portions” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Suburban Chicago
“Decent food, nice service, huge portions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2010

We have dined here twice, with the most recent visit this past week. We stopped for an early dinner, had a great waitress. We ordered liver, bacon and onions, which was cooked just right. This came with soup...a big bowl of potato soup that was very tasty. Nice green bean side dish with sliced almonds, red peppers and seasoning. French fries were OK, nothing special. And after all of that, the waitress asked what we wanted for dessert! If you're too full for dessert, they pack it up to go. And then we were pleasantly surprised to find that they had given us a "seniors" discount without our even asking! This is a great place to go for a casual meal.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

addison
“Don't waist your money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2010

Been to this place 2 times. Breakfast the first...scrambled eggs were cold and tasted funny, the hash browns were raw.

Ordered chicken shish -kabob, asked for well done...chicken was pink and some parts bloody in the inside...rice was mushy and starchy that came with it and no taste. Advised waitress, saw her talking to owner, and she came back and said he took $5.00 of a $9.99 charge. ( I was in no mood to argue) I only ate the salad that came with it. No way was the salad worth $5.00. The owner I felt should have not charged anything. Obviously he does not know the first thing about business and customer service. The owner did not even apologize. The waitress did however and offered something else. I declined...two bad meals did not want a third. Instead the owner went to hide in the bathroom as I reached the cash register.

Will never go back two strikes and your out.... Dennys on Lake street has better food

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Roselle, IL
“Naysayers, try again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

We had been to Dino's twice for breakfast and really liked it. We tried it last night for dinner, and OMG! It was awesome. We were seated immediately. The sweet and sour cabbage soup was amazing and could have been an entire meal by itself. My husband's pork loin was HUGE and delicious, more than enough with the sides. My spinach pie came with a mound of cottage cheese with fresh fruits and vegetables and a side of, ok, bland rice. My husband even got dessert with his meal. We ate plenty with some to take home. The bill? $21.53. Come on. Try it again. This is the best place in Bloomingdale!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Hoffman Estates, Illinois
“bad service, pancvakes like rubber”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2010

we had a special order for a omelet that had avacoxd, cherizo and cilantro the last 2 we didn't want and the waitress wrote it down but came but came with the clinatro and no avaado, and that was after waiting fa half hour and all they said was sorry and offered to make another but we didn't have the time to wait another half hour for one dish. the service was slow at best and another girl that came around to fill coffee only added like a few drops to the cup and then left it was at half before she tried to fill it and not much difference was noticed and some people ask did she put any in? pancakes were erubbery adn had to use a knife to cut them when they asked at the front how everything was and I told her she just stopped she didn't know what to do and just stood there for what seemed like fiorever.but I'm sure it was only like 30 seconds then finally said we could make you another, but we told her the person that oprdered had to leave and was gone so that was it.
there are better places in teh area that I would recommend better for the prices, service and food qwuality like Tasso's down the street on lake maybe in Roselle?
Dave

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Chicago
“"Fresh" is such a relative term...broiled chicken burger with pesto”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2010

Someone else in another review made mention that everything was nice about this place except the food. Their non-breakfast fare is possibly a bit above bags of frozen food from the WholeSailor Club, but what they consider "fresh" and what I consider "fresh" are evidently worlds apart.

I was started off with some bread. It was an Italian or Vienna bread, very crusty, with sesame seeds on top, half-cut through so you can "break bread." Standard fare, it was warm, but I'm pretty sure they don't make it. No big deal, most mid-range diners are not known for their bakery prowess. Their was butter & cream on the table, in the small, individual serving containers. Not sure what a sealed plastic tub of whipped butter's half-life is at room temperature.

I ordered their broiled chicken burger with pesto (which, isn't pesto, but I'll get to that in a bit). Freshly ground chicken, broiled and topped with melted mozzarella on a toasted cibatta bun. It comes with soup, fries, and coleslaw. Oh, and a pickle. The pickle was the freshest thing.

I had their clam chowder for the soup. Standard fare, I do not think it was made there. Pretty salty, the usual indicator of a canned soup. It was thickened with potatoes. It was a pale yellowish-brown vs the white of a cream-based New England clam chowder.

Then came the meal. The round chicken pattie covered in melted mozzarella on one half of the square cibatta bread. The other half had some shredded iceberg lettuce and two slices of tomato. A nice kosher dill wedge lay beside it. And, a mound of french fries (I could have had cottage fries, but, what the heck). The fries were flavorless, and a few were a bit soggy.

But what about the pesto?

You know, I asked the same question. The waitress apologized, left, and returned with a small cup of PESTO MAYONNAISE...and it to say it was fresh would be a bald-faced lie. You could see darkened bits and streaks where it had been exposed to the air and oxidizing. That basically means it was improperly handled.

Well, back to the sandwich. I pulled some of the cheese back to inspect the "freshly ground chicken"...it had grill marks. Must've been an upside-down broiler. I was looking for the pesto. I found some green bits in the chicken. Parsley, I would suspect. But *very* fine bits that were few & far between. And the patty itself was perfectly round, and of a uniform height. Unless they have some sort of burger press, I think this was pre-made and pre-formed. I would expect a "freshly ground chicken patty would be less uniform, more "hand made" looking.

I could not finish the meal after the PESTO-MAYO was brought out. I called for a manager and asked him to bring out the menu. He insisted the chicken is freshly ground "every couple of days." If it's the second (or third, fourth...) day, I think the word fresh is as effective adjective as "hoary" or "cloudy". As far as the PESTO-MAYO, the manager was explaining how when you open the jar...it's so gosh-darned easy to make a good pesto, why buy PESTO-MAYO? The manager would only apologize, no comp or maybe a buck or two off. As he was walking away, he said, "I'm sorry," which I answered loud enough for him to hear me, "I'm sure you are."

No attempt was made to keep this customer happy. I told them this was my first and last trip to Dino's, and they seemed just fine with that.

Next time, I'll just go to Dunkin' Donuts next door. Their stuff is fresh.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere