You added Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chicago O'Hare South, IL to your Saves list
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chicago O'Hare South, IL
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bensenville
Waterloo
“Everything was OK”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for just one night, using the park and fly service. You do have to put your name down for the shuttle service in advance as the shuttle will not run if no one has a reservation.

The shuttle to the airport was flawless, we did have to wait 50 minutes on the return shuttle (you can just call once you arrive, no advance notice needed). We were at the international terminal though so it may just take awhile longer to get over there.

The room itself was just OK. We had a king suite which included a pullout couch and fridge and microwave and the room was very spacious. However the TV was really small and really poor screen... just very cheap looking with a weak channel selection. We had an early morning flight so just wanted to relax and watch TV but it was hard to watch on such a bad TV.

The planes are really loud flying over at night too.

Overall it worked out but I think I would look for something different next time we fly out of O'Hare.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Stamford, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

I flew into Chicago O'hare late and needed a hotel by the airport for a quick one night stay. This hotel was available for a last minute booking and it had a free shuttle.

The good...Hotel shuttle service was reasonably quick and used a Prius to take me back to the hotel. Check in was easy and quick at 1am.

The bad..The hotel needs a deep cleaning, renovation and TLC. It has been a long time since I felt like I couldn't take off my shoes in a hotel room due to dark and dirty rugs. The lighting was so poor that it was difficult to make out clean vs dark. Comforter didn't look recently washed and immediately discarded it to the floor. Paint was peeling on the bottom quarter section of the bathroom door. The room looked like it hadn't been updated in over 10 years. Pillows were so soft my head sunk all the way through to the bed. The bed was lumpy and not comfortable. Room walls were thin and I heard every noise.

If I didn't have to get up four hours later to leave, would have gotten another hotel room somewhere else. I would never stay here again as this was one of the worst experiences ever had in my life.

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless your only other choice is to sleep in your car.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
CarlsonRezidor, Online Support Specialist at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chicago O'Hare South, IL, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We apologize that you were not satisfied with the accommodations of your room. We are sorry to hear you did not have a good night’s sleep due to the comfort of your bed. We will discuss the conditions of your room with our staff to ensure all guest rooms are up to Country Inns and Suites by Carlson standards. We know a good night’s rest is very important. Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us and we hope for another opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Orlando, Fl
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

I read reviews that the hotel was being renovated so I used my points to reserve a room plus additional $ to book. It was not worth it. I have stayed at other Country Inn & Suites and have been pleased. If this hotel was renovated it did not reach the room I stayed in for one night. Upon arriving after 8pm to the hotel, we checked in quickly and headed to the room. I opened the door and spotted a hole in the stained couch. I went further into the room but had to move the scratched old furniture back against the wall because someone had pulled it out and left it there. The room reminded me of a cheap motel stay. The shower made an awful piercing noise for about 5 minutes before it quieted down. Where were the renovations?? To the lobby and outside face of the hotel but certainly not to this room! The location is not great either, in the middle of no where fun with nothing to see or eat around. I used my points on this hotel and I wish I hadn't because other Country Inn & Suites hotels had me as a fan.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the accommodations of your room. We apologize that the room you were given had not yet been updated. We will discuss the conditions of your room with our staff to ensure all guest rooms are up to Country Inns and Suites by Carlson standards.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

This was not an ideal situation. Booked myself a last-minute room because I ended up having to stay an extra night in Chicago.

The hotel is under renovation and I would not recommend you come here whilst they are undergoing this process. Also note that the hotel is in Bensenville and it's about a 15-30 min drive, depending on the traffic.

Pros
+ The hotel staff were generally friendly and tried to be helpful with my needs
+ Breakfast is included
+ There is a microwave and tea kettle in the room

Cons
+ The room was freezing when I arrived - the housekeeping staff had not turned on the heater (there is no central air).
+ There is no one consistently manning the front desk, and the only service person available seems to be the driver who picked me up from O'Hare - they kept calling him when issues would arise
+ There was a random pole in the corner of my room when I arrived (see photo)
+ The rooms are barely sound-proof so I was able to hear the conversations of anyone walking down the hall quite clearly
+ The shower makes a terrible squealing sound
+ The TV was not working when I arrived and there was no TV guide

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Marquette, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Planes shaking windows all night. Terrible shuttle response, sat at ohare for over an hour waiting for shuttle. Hotel was under construction with no mention of that online when making reservations. Evening receptionist told the shuttle driver that he was not allowed to give us a jump when we had a dead battery. Wow! Guy trying to be helpful and make a bad situation better and the evening receptionist won't let him. Never again. Avoid this one!

• Stayed March 2014
CountryInnOhareSouth, Front Office Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chicago O'Hare South, IL, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
We apologize if you feel you were not assisted by our hotel staff. Our team works hard to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive our best service. We have given countless guests jump starts as this is Chicago & the winters can cause car trouble. We have spoken to the staff to get clarification on what happened. At that time we did not have any jumper cables and that is what she was communicating to the shuttle driver, not that he could not help you. The front desk offered to look up road assistance or the computer in our business center was available to use but the gentleman said he had a phone he could look them up. As for the shuttle, it does only run once and hour at the top of the hour so depending on when you called, yes the wait can be anywhere from 20min to 1hr. The average wait time is 20-30min for most of our guests. We always appreciate feedback and are working to ensure a similar situation does not occur again.
Pekin, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

This hotel was under $75 for my stay. The hotel is being renovated, but no issues avoiding those areas. My room was clean the only thing I had an issue with is that I was on the first floor and the windows would not lock which made me a little uncomfortable. Overall I had a good night sleep, a good free breakfast and was always greeted by the staff. For the price I would stay here again but will make sure to ask for an upper floor.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Rockford, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

First I arrived to discover that they are in the process of renovating the hotel. Half of the building is closed, you would think they would discount their prices with that going on. One night I was awakened by what I am sure was hammering --it was quite rhythmic: tap tap tap tap,...tap tap tap tap... on and on in the middle of the night.
There is very poor flow, like poor pressure from the rotating shower heads -- anyone who washes their hair needs a better water flow to get the shampoo properly rinsed out. I hope that is being corrected in the renovation.
There is extremely poor lighting in the rooms. There were 3 lights in the entire room, one in the entry, a bed table lamp, and a desk lamp, and it was DARK in that room. There was more light in the bathroom than the entire rest of the room. Another lamp, or better yet go over to the Microtel and check out all the lighting in each room. Dark rooms.

Now, to the real problem here: The fire. Yes, the fire alarm starting sounding EXTREMELY LOUD at about 3:10am. It was very cold outside, so I took 2 minutes to get dressed, grab my coat, and grab my backpack. In the hallway someone was coming from the nearest stairwell, stating that there was a smell of smoke in the stairwell, so I went to a different stairway. When I got down to the lobby the staff was sending people back to their rooms. Really? yes, and the lobby was full of smoke. The staff stated that there was a microwave 'on fire' in the hotel kitchen. They wanted everyone to return to their rooms. Meanwhile the fire alarm CLAXON was still screaming. I went outside and found several people dragging their suitcases out from the stairwell exit. When the alarm stopped sounding I returned to my room, looked out the window and saw that the fire department had arrived.

I have to object to the hotel staff sending people back to their rooms before the fire department arrived. I won't be returning to this hotel again. Country Inn and Suites, Bensenville, O'Hare South, Illinois

Room Tip: stay someplace else
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chicago O'Hare South, IL, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
We are sorry to hear of your unsatisfactory experience during your stay. It is unfortunate when situations like this arise. We take every precaution to make sure that all guests are affected as little as possible. We hope you will consider us again when you are in the area.

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chicago O'Hare South, IL? Share your experiences!