“Nice holiday break” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Thala Beach Lodge

Save Saved
You added Thala Beach Lodge to your Saves list
Thala Beach Lodge
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Private Road | 5078 Captain Cook Highway, Oak Beach, Port Douglas, Queensland 4871, Australia   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Oak Beach
Sydney, Australia
“Nice holiday break”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

It was time for a weekend break, away from Sydney.. Port Douglas was still on the bucket list so the aim was to book a nice 4 night extended weekend.

Tripadvisor guided me towards Thala Beach lodge with all reviews and awards for this property.

The booking for Thala Beach lodge was quite last minute. I booked Wednesday for a Friday arrival after having tracked a few booking sites (expedia, Wotif, Bookings.com, etc) to find the best possible rate.

We arrived on a Friday afternoon, we were welcomed at reception, went through the check in procedures following which we were invited to go upstairs to join a welcome drink! What a beautiful view, tree tops, beaches, birds, it felt as a great way to start the weekend.
The remainder of this first day we spend on the beach, lying in a hammock close to the beach shack which was open for drinks.

The room we were in was room #9 an Eucalypt Bungalow as booked. It looked into the trees with some glimpses over the ocean and beach. As other writers here suggest, the bungalows are build close to each other, but I didn't feel any significant loss of privacy.

The room was spacious and consisted of a private balcony (with fan, table and 2 chairs), a real king size bed, TV (not used), mini bar and bathroom. The room itself was good, but the bathroom was a bit outdated. Everything worked well.

One day we ordered a picnic basked, which is offered instead of room service, and we had a very nice balcony meal. Definitely a recommendation!

The meals, coffees and drinks in the restaurant are well served, of good quality and good portions. Service is with a smile.

Overall service was good for Australian standards. Unlike other premium properties in Australia I sensed that most staff were local, genuinely liked their jobs and always had a smile on their faces.

I really appreciated the wireless (lobby area) and the valet car parking included in the rate!

Definitely will return when in the area!

Room Tip: Room 9 was good, all rooms around it (from 6 - 12 will be similar views)
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

First, people need to know that you cannot travel very far at this resort without going up or down. The area is mountainous, and it shows in the hotel property. The staff are very helpful, efficient, and exceedingly friendly. The rooms are all individual cabins, some more secluded than others. The cabins are well appointed. Ours included some excellent prints of bird paintings. This hotel is a good place for bird watchers, especially for seeing wild rainbow lorikeets. We saw them, and about about eight other types during our three night stay. We loved having our breakfast and dinner in the restaurant, because the food was so good at dinner and because there was always birds in view at breakfast. Our only negative observation is that the bathroom facilities in our room could have used an upgrade or refurbishment.

Room Tip: Our room number 63 had no cabins adjacent to it on its side of the path, making it very secluded.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We recently stayed at Thala - and I can't say enough great things about it. The staff is SO phenomenal. I have never met more friendly, enthusiastic staff. There are small cabins, that were among the trees, just a short walk from the private beach. We were the only couple on the beah one full day.

Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stayed for an all too brief time at the lodge last week, it was part of a tour of Sydney and tropical north Queensland . The lodge is a beautiful property of wooden cabins on stilts dotted around a central reception and restaurant complex. The area is stunning but quite hilly and the lodge that I was located in had amazing views through the rainforest to the beach. I think that although the resort does cater for guests with a golf buggy type shuttle to the various areas of the property, the hills and the steps down to the beaches and cabins may prove difficult for anyone with physical disabilities or mobility problems. For the able bodied however, this place is perfect.. The beach has a bar serving cooling beers,sparkling wine and soft drinks and little touches like the cooler sleeves for the beer show how the resort thinks about the small things that make it's guests more comfortable. Their are two pools, a rock pool and a waterfall pool made up of three small pools, one of which is a jacuzzi. The pools are all made to look like natural lagoons and the effect is stunning. The staff here are very efficient but very friendly and helpful, the reception even has Australian adapters to lend out which is a nice touch, although as I had been staying in various hotels on this trip I had already purchased mine. Breakfast was excellent and the location of the restaurant, in a circular building similar to a treehouse set high among the forest canopy with colourful birds feeding from strategically positioned feeders was breathtaking.. I am actually afraid of birds and usually will not eat out in open spaces where the birds fly through the restaurant etc, but the feeders mean the birds do not have to forage among th tables, so I was able to admire the colours and the large cockatoos etc without worrying about them getting too close. The cabins are spacious, well appointed and comfortable, with large verandas to enjoy the natural beauty and everything is designed sympathetically to give a holistic feeling of well being and calm. I will definitely come here again if I return to Australia, next time with my husband and for a longer stay.
The resort has evening star gazing trips into the rainforest, unfortunately our busy schedule did not allow me to join this, but I think it would be well worth doing if you have time.

Room Tip: If you don't want to have to climb steep hills for meals etc then request a room near to recepti...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

we stayed at Thala for 4 nights to unwind at the end of our Oz trip before flying onto Singapore.
We arrived at Thala late afternoon and was warmly greeted and invited to check in. We were then shown to our Coral Sea Bungalow and our luggage arrived shortly after. the tree house was very spacious with a nice balcony, table and chairs with a spectacular view over the ocean threough the treetops, idyllic it has to be said. Thala is a very private place so you can unnwind, and never meet your neighbours as all the bungalows are hidden very well in the rainforest. We went down to dinner, restaurant is fabulous, open air with fabulous views, the parrots squwaking in the trees add a unique experience and feel to the place. The food that is created in this restaurant is to die for. This was the real highlight for me being a foodie, I have a high standard and the food here was of an incredibly high standard, and the chefs should be congrautaled for their unique menus, a fusion of flavours on every plate. of all the fabulous hotels we had stayed in during our trip for the food alone this hotel has the win the award, we tried as many different things as possible, nothing disappointed . Wine was a tad expensive though, we had opted to go for an "inclusive" option for two of the four days at $388 per day, our breakafst had already been included in our original price so the $388 was basically for lunch and dinner. The "inclusive" bit started at 1pm and included anything from the mini bar in the room but didn't however include anything to drink in the restaurant,except a bottle of wine at dinner (water is always free from the mountain spring). Overall I dont think this was value for money, I thought it overpriced, even though the food was amazing I think we paid heavily for it, and it wasn't clear to us that whilst we thought "inclusive" meant that it actually didn't. To me there is only one kind of "inclusive" and thats the one where everything is actually included, so as a result we we thought that we could order the mud crab from the menu but found out that this was not "included". I think there needs to be a much clearer definition of this to the gusets and quite frankly for the money we had paid we should have been able to have anything from the menu. Thala is quite unlike any other resort, it's unspolit and quiet a very relaxing place to be, the beach untouched all of this is such a refreshing change to the other hotels we visited, if you want to get away from everything this the place to be.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Myself and my husband stayed here for 5 glorious nights. This accommodation is like nothing I have ever experienced before as you have your own Chalet out in the rain forest that is very well equiped but affords you privacy at the same time.
The location is gorgeous, with two private pools and a private beach so you are spoiled for choice, unfortunately we couldn't swim in the sea due to the presence of box jelly fish.
The staff are very warm and friendly, the food is fab and the restaurant is perfectly located, up high with beautiful views of the bay. The free wi-fi is great too.
Only small negative was that we didn't realise how far out from Port Dougal it actually is so a car would have been good to have as the bus was a little steep at AUD$16 return per person per journey. If booking this resort and are not planning on having a car I would strongly recommend including breakfast with your package.
However I would definitely recommend this resort and if ever in Australia again I would love to go back.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

....independently. We were part of a large group, and I think we didn't see the place at 100%.

In particular, we were buffet fed pretty much every night as a result. There were glimpses of truly great food - the Asian buffet was outstanding. But when you have to do volume, you can't show off your ingredients fully. And 5 nights of buffet made me feel like I was back in halls of residence......

A la carte I suspect this place knocks out great food.

That aside, a big thumbs up to the bar and cocktail happy hour. Yes you're in an eco lodge, on a peninsula, in a semi remote part of Queensland, but that's a damn fine Martini.

OK, let's get some of the the niggles in some other reviews sorted. Privacy? That's what the shutters are there for. As far as I could see the main front window in each property has an unobstructed view. I will fess up we lucked out and got room 1, at the end of a path, overlooking the cove, all to ourselves.

Some of our group found the hike through the property and up hill and down dale a bit of a drag. You can call for a buggy from reception. But if you've done you're homework before you go about this place, you'll know that's what the property is like. Helps work off those Martinis anyway.

Our room was clean, comfy, had a huge bathroom with separate shower, and we slept well. Until about 5am when the dawn chorus starts - but it's in a forest for heavens' sake, what do you expect? As for aircon - well it may be an ecolodge, but without aircon with the doors open you'd be sleeping in humid bug central. If you want that experience, go camping. If you don't like finding the odd skink in your bathroom don't go on holiday in the tropics.

The better half gave two thumbs up for her spa massage.

Oak beach at the south end of the property is a 1 mile plus "raw" beach, great for a walk, a run or just pottering about. And if that works up a thirst of an afternoon, there's a beach hut bar, where you can enjoy a cold stubby watching the waves crash in in bare feet. And if the dawn chorus has you up as the sun is rising, I challenge anyone not to have a smile on their face after a 3 mile run on a beach all to yourself. Wakey wakey!

Overall this place does luxury with a bit of raw around the edges. The rooms are great, the staff friendly and helpful (and I do fear our group tried their patience sorely - if so it did not show). It's in a quite fabulous location. The food makes the very best of local ingredients. There's a modestly priced shuttle bus to the bright lights of Port Douglas. But why would you want to? My advice - bring some good books, sit back and enjoy the view. And the Martinis.

Room Tip: Room 1 - a longer walk to the main building but a fantastic view and peace and quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Thala Beach Lodge? Share your experiences!