“Dorado in June” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Type: Boat Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: At Big Buoy, we are committed to provide you with the sport fishing vacation of your life. We offer all of the amenities that you need: a well equipped, state of the art cruiser, an experienced captain, a gated villa with chef-cooked meals . . . all of the perks at an affordable price.
Colorado, USA
“Dorado in June”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I fished again with Eric and Big Buoy starting June 09. The Dorado were on! Another great trip, with a 3-day tally of 5 Sails boated and about 100 lb. of Dorado fillets heading home with me in the cooler. By the way: I prefer to give the Sails a fair fight, and bring them to the boat without a quick hook and release; For me it's about the fair-fight, not the numbers, but Eric will accommodate whatever tactic you prefer in your Big Billfish pursuit. Eric's mate filleted and packed the Mahi, and they made it home still frozen solid in my checked cooler. Hint: Hard-side coolers are expensive and difficult to find in Puerto de San Jose, so if you plan to bring fish home it's advisable to carry a cooler down with you. American Airlines charged $50 to check the full cooler (a good investment considering the price of Mahi at the local grocery). In addition to the Gato Felix, Big Buoy now has a sweet 31 foot Bertram with twin in-boards. A classic Billfish craft, and a very sweet rig. Another fine trip with Big Buoy...I'm looking forward to my 3rd trip down. As I said before, a guide has to really be first-class before they'll earn my feedback on the www. Eric and Big Buoy earn kudos and recognition! Tight lines!

Visited June 2013

Burns Oregon
“fishing with Eric late June 2013”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Eric really works at finding fish and taking care of his clients. He helped us a lot with our trip planning for our Guatemala vacation not just the fishing. Good boat and good crew. Food was fine and he has a nice lodging place.
Guy Sheeter

Visited June 2013
Colorado, USA
“New Years 2013 Mad Sails!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I travel a lot, so a business has to really show stellar performance before I take the time to write a review. I fished with Eric on the Gato Felix for 3 days during the New Year, and my wife and I spent 4 nights in his home with he and his wife. I've fished all over the world and had heard about how good the billfishing was in Guatemala; wow, what a trip! My wife got seasick the first day, and Eric and his mate did a great job taking care of her until we could get back to port. That short first day I boated 2 sails and the first Gato Felix Marlin of the year, a Striped that ran ~400 lb. 3 days of fishing, 9 Sails and 1 Striped Marlin boated. At times there were so many Sails within eye-sight of the boat we literally had to pull the rigs so we wouldn't have too many hook-ups! Eric and his wife opened their home to us, his wife is a fantastic cook, and by the end of the first day I felt like I was staying with long-time friends instead of at some ritzy over-priced resort. Eric will turn back-flips to make sure you're content with your stay, and will help you do whatever you and your guests (women included) wish to do....other than just fishing. Eric and his wife took care to make sure we were comfortable and well fed. The Gato Felix is smaller than most of the sport-fishing boats at the dock, but don't let that fool you into paying for a bigger boat you don't need. The Gato will catch just as many if not more fish than the other competing boats in the local fleet - it's about the skills and expertise of the skipper and mate, and Eric will pursue any species you care to chase. Unfortunately, the Dorado were not in the Guatemala waters when I was there, but I bet Eric would have spent all day looking for one if I had asked. I will absolutely be back to fish with Eric many times in the future, and am looking forward to Dorado and more Marlin on my next visit. As I'm an avid fisherman, please feel free to personally contact me via Travel Advisor if you need specific feedback.

Visited January 2013
“Excellent experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

First Capt. Eric is a great host. The fishing is fantastic. The Gato Felix and her crew mad everyday fun. Lots of fish an lots of local flavor. I will be back and will recommend Eric and Gato Felix to my friends.