“Never disappointed” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Bar, British, Vegetarian, English, Pub
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
“Never disappointed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

If you want a spectacular country location, a friendly welcome and lovely food, head for the Sussex Ox in Milton Street! I have been there many times for lunch, and have never been disappointed; the food is always piping hot, and beautifully presented - this is more gastro-pub food than basic "pub grub", and the constantly changing menu always offers an original choice of dishes, in most cases made using locally-sourced ingredients. Recent highlights for me have been a stunning steak and kidney pudding (bursting with kidney!), some delicious wild boar sausages, and freshly-caught sea bass. I always find the staff at the Ox welcoming and attentive, and the Garden Room offers lovely views over the Sussex countryside. All in all, a great place to go!

Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“Excellent service and good food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Last night my wife and I visited the Sussex Ox and were absolutely delighted with both the quality of the food and helpful service of the staff. There were no time issues concerning waiting for the food and we both ate heartily. The atmosphere was relaxed and welcoming. In particular we found the meeting and greeting by the staff delightful. All in all I would not hesitate to recommend the Sussex Ox to my family and friends.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Good Food - Terrible Service...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I visited the Sussex Ox for lunch this afternoon for my husband 's birthday.

One member of our party of five ordered a Starter which took an hour to be served by which time we were all so hungry we wished we'd all ordered a Starter. Mains then took a further half an hour to arrive!! When the food arrived it was lovely apart from one dish which had to be sent back as the meat was not acceptable.

I understand that Sunday lunch times can be busy but it would have been courteous to have informed us when ordering that there would be a wait or to at least apologise for the delay at some point. We weren't the only diners complaining about the wait.

I am really not one to moan and have never written a review like this before but I was so appalled by the service I felt the need to unload my frustration!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
TheSussexOx, Owner at The Sussex Ox, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
We really got it wrong for this customer. There were long delays on this particular Sunday lunch due to various factors and this party seemed to bear the brunt of these delays.

Please contact me directly so that I might be able to put things right for you on your next visit.

Many thanks, David
Seaford, United Kingdom
“Dinner at the OX”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

This is just one of the best pub/restaurants in East Sussex, the welcome, warm rooms and fantastic food is well worth a visit. The layout and design are first class and the variety of "special" evenings are a delight

Visited October 2012
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“Dissapointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

If you dine in a restaurant, would you be expected to walk through to a bar to order each course of your meal?
This is a pub with a dining room, but the staff call it “the restaurant”.
There was a party of us eating this particular evening and I for one struggled to find a meal that appealed to me. At the end of the evening two other guests remarked that they had the same difficulty.
Had I been eating alone or as a couple I would have simply left and gone elsewhere but not that easy with a party on a Saturday evening.
The bar was very cosy with a good selection of ales; it was also kept very warm as it was a cold evening.
The dinning room was very pleasant as were the staff.
The quality and quantity of food can only be described as adequate but the options appeared restricted.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
TheSussexOx, Owner at The Sussex Ox, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
I'm sorry that you were disappointed with our menu. It is updated every day and normally consists of at least 14 main courses, including favourites such as fish & chips, a great burger, pies and sausages & chips, as well as 3 vegetarian options, 3 fish dishes and other local meat dishes.
Our daily menu can be found on our website.