“Good food, service not so much” 3 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #19 of 65 Restaurants in Barrington
Cuisines: American, Pizza & Pasta
Description: Kelsey Road House has been around since 1971 and since February 2011, Gino's East has joined our family. We have a huge selection of delicious, fresh home cooking and our Legendary Gino's East Chicago Style Deep Dish. Join us any day of the week for great food and drinks.Kelsey Road House and Gino's East are located on the corner of Northwest Hwy and Kelsey Road in Lake Barrington, Il. We are a family casual dining restaurant that serves great food, good drinks, and a happy atmosphere. We have two floors and four dining areas that includes a dungeon dining downstairs(GREAT for kids), upper level dining, screened in patio, and an open air beer garden that is welcome to pets.Our deep dish pizzas do take up to 45 minutes to bake but it is well worth the wait. We have a selection of games inside and baggos during the summer set up to keep the kids busy. However, if your in a hurry you can always preorder your pizza by calling ahead of time.We hope to see you soon!
Palatine, Illinois
“Good food, service not so much”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

I ordered take out, food was good, but servers weren't into pleasing. I waited good 10 minutes before someone even ACKNOWLEDGED me.

If you are clostrophobic do not go in, I almost passed out because you go down into this cellar like basement with a really low ceiling, dark walls. I'd die if I spent an hour there. NOt romantic unless you dream about been locked up in a hole.

Perhaps when it's summer and you can sit out in the garden it's not so bad.

• Visited April 2010
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Chicago, IL
“Not a first choice, but not bad either”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

An old staple in the stable of Barrington's restaurants, the Kelsey Roadhouse has menu that features pizza, burgers, sandwiches and a decent Friday fish fry. It might not be the best in Barrington but probably in the top five. The BBQ pulled pork sandwich delights.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chicago, IL
“Very Festive at the Holidays”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

Awesome spot to have dinner at Christmas - the decorations are "best in Chicago" quality, and the place is very festive! I love the sharp cheddar cheese spread (and crackers) that is on the bar as you usually spend plenty of time waiting for a table (at least in the "old" days).

Please see my blog at http://talesfromtheroad-mwalno.blogspot.com

We arrived at 6 pm on a rainy/snowy night. I was really surprised to walk in and be seat right away, and that there open tables. I remember always waiting to eat here, but they also said they were closing at 8 pm that night.

John O was our waiter and he was very friendly and good. The only thing I did not like was they told us we could only order pizzas and 1 entree due to the size of our party - 8 adults and 3 kids. I have NEVER heard of a rule like that, and even if they had one, it didn't make sense for a night when there were only a few tables.

I didn't care in the least because I love the pizza, although I remember the ribs being excellent too (but I was not allowed to order them). So we had some excellent apps first - chicken fingers were excellent, skins too greasy, bratwurst soup awful. Also some cold beers and about a 30 minute wait for our deep dish pie.

Pizza was awesome, and there is so much that we had plenty to bring home. Also a great value for all we had.

This place is all about a great atmosphere, a few drinks, and solid food. They added a bar upstairs with games since I was last in the place. It is a classic, and I look forward to returning!

1 chicken fingers 8.95

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Barrington
“Don't Go!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

You can get better food at any fast food restaurant, and you can certainly get staff that is more professional and courteous. The bartenders at the upstairs sports bar are especially rude - when I asked one of them if I could speak to a manager, she told me to leave! I've been there many times over the years (to meet friends or family), and every time I go, I regret it. I've never had a good or even adequate experience. The atmosphere is tacky and often dirty, and it often smells terrible.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Great, unique venue; interesting menu; horrible service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2008

We've stopped here about 10 times over the past five years. Interesting building: basement is very cool with some private rooms with stone walls. Summertime on the patio under the trees is perfect. The food is OK.
The overwhelming aspect of this place is the slow service. Waitresses are slow to take the order, and even slower to deliver.
Nevertheless, overall, I'd say visit this place and give it a try.