“Very clean and comfortable roadside hotel” 5 of 5 stars

La Quinta Inn & Suites Chicago North Shore
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2000 South Lakeside Dr, Bannockburn, IL 60015   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bannockburn
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Very clean and comfortable roadside hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I had to head up to a place in Chicago's north suburbs to pick up a few things and meet family, and found a room on Hotwire for $65/night close to the place that I needed to go. Needless to say, it was this La Quinta.

Access from I-94 was extremely easy, and the hotel had plenty of parking. Check-in was quick, even with a bunch of university athletes from Concordia University checking in at the same time. And since it was Halloween, they even had a lot of Halloween candy at the front desk - a fun touch.

I then got to the room (which was actually a suite). It was huge, clean, nicely decorated, and very comfortable. The bed was one of the most comfortable that I have ever had in a hotel, and much better than normal for hotels in this category. Wi-Fi was fast and free (the way hotel Wi-Fi should be); I didn't have to use my AT&T connection for anything other than phone calls, though I got a good signal. The bathroom was spotless; apparently this was a handicap room as it had a walk-in shower with handshower.

Breakfast was simple, but effective: cereal, fruit, waffles, coffee/juice, and yogurt. Not many hot offerings unlike Holiday Inn Express or Hampton, but this filled me up for some time to come. There was a pool and fitness center; as my time here was limited, I didn't use either.

Overall, by roadside hotel standards, this was really good. And even by big-city hotel standards, this would still be really good.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Bannockburn, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I travel for work about 75 percent of the time and stay at hotels all over the north west from ND to IL. The company i work for had "rented" out probably two-three dozen rooms for around three weeks. This hotel has good rooms and a nice hot tub. It is freshly remodeled also. There were two things that bothered me about this hotel though. One was the fact that because we work overnights they put a hold on out house cleaning on hold. This is fine except that we were not informed untill someone asked a week and a half into the stay. The second this (and this is a deal breaker here.) The breakfast was good... the first 3 days. But then they completly stopped the hot food and left only a minnimal breakfast out for the entire hotel. This is in no doubt due to the fact that we get off work and back to the hotel at breakfast time and between the 40 or so people eat quite a bit of the breakfast. But even if the hotel was full of other people they still should not take away the main breakfast and cut back on those services just because we are actually eating the food.

• Stayed November 2013

White River Junction, Vermont
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I stayed at this hotel from Oct 24 - 26, 2013 so I checked out this morning to catch a flight at O'Hare. My office is literally down the street so this was the closet hotel but I will not stay here again. My 1st night, I got in about 11pm so I was exhausted. The next morning I notice my feet were itching. I got ready for work since I had a 7:30am meeting so I didn't have time to think about it. The next morning, I wake up fresh bites on my feet and even right now it itches intensely.

I didn't see any bugs in the bed and, trust me, I pulled back the sheets and blanket...nothing. But there are 3 bite marks on each foot which itch like crazy.

The room was spacious. An older building so it wasn't high quality. The breakfast each morning was cold packaged items. Good enough for my trips to the area for work but I will definitely go with a hotel closer to Lake-Cook Rd next time. Bed bugs or any bugs biting you at night is irritating. I just hope I kept my things away from the bed so I didn't bring any home with me. I did shake out anything that item of mine that was on the bed.

My room was 255. Stay away from this room and hotel!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Jeffersonville, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I have to say, upon arrival, I was very impressed. Beautiful building. Nice pool area. Great rooms. However my stay was not pleasant for long. I travel for a living and stay in hotels every single week and I have NEVER complained about one. Usually you get what you pay for, for the most part. Again, this hotel looked spectacular. But....
On Monday night I returned to my room to hear an awful noise coming from the room upstairs. It sounded like the toilet was having problems as it was running and making a God awful shrieking noise. I called maintanance and he was there almost immediately. Very nice. He and I agreed that there was nothing he could do at 10:30 at night except move me to a new room. Well, the ghetto girl behind the desk had a problem with that. As we started going back and forth about a new room, I made the mistake of saying I was "pi$$ed off". She went nuts. She preached how Jesus was her lord and saviour and how I better NEVER curse at her. She preached for ten minutes and then proceeded to tell me that she is from the South Side of Chicago and they don't tolerate white people like me down there. Then, as if that's not enough, she proceeded to be proud and remind me that Chicago is the murder capital of the U.S and I had better watch how I speak to her. So, now I've been racially insulted and threatened with murder over a room change. The next morning I talked to Ms. Frankenstein (yes, that's her real name) and she basically sided with her clerk and asked me to check out! I gladly checked out and went on my way.
This hotel is great except for the crappy staff. There's no way Frankenstein should be a manager. Very poorly handled.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Haverhill, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I am a manager for a very well respected hospitality company in Florida, and do realize that this is only a La Quinta,, however I do have certain expectations of hospitality no matter what star level the hotel that i'm staying at is, and for me to take the time to write a 1* review (Something I never do), it's gotta be pretty bad.

That being said, I visit the Deerfield/Highland Park/Highwood area at least 4-5 times a year while visiting friends, and usually I will either stay with them, or book a hotel directly through the hotel,, however, this weekend, for some odd reasons, hotels were very expensive.
I put a bid on Priceline, and won this hotel.

I know that booking through Priceline is the bottom of the barrel in the hotel's eyes, but, I've stayed at several other LQ's (not through Priceline, by direct booking) and never had an issue at any of them, so I figured this stay would be like the others and would be good.

I arrived around 10:30am on Sunday and was checked in by Howard who rolled his eyes and gave me the speech about C/I not being until 3pm, but grudgingly found a room for me and handed over the keys to it. I saw that breakfast was still out, and made the mistake of asking Howard if I could go grab a coffee and a muffin. At that point, I was subjected to another speech about how I really didn't pay for breakfast that morning,, but he "guesses" it was ok to go grab something (I'd like to point out to the LQ franchise owner that for the 50 cents AT MOST that this breakfast cost them, if it makes a customer happy, it's an extremely small price to pay for customer service)

Got to the room, and have absolutely zero complaints about my initial experience with that. Fast forward to the next day, when the water was apparently scheduled to be turned off for six hours (something that I was never notified about). I left my room at about 1pm, came back around 4pm, and it still wasn't cleaned, so I figured that maybe housekeeping got a late start due to the water issue. Left, and came back around 11pm to find that my room never got cleaned. Went down to the front desk, where the agent apologized and said she would have housekeeping clean it right away in the morning, something which I declined, since I was checking out the next morning, and only needed some clean towels and shampoo, which she provided. At this point, I asked for a 1pm checkout, which she happily gave me.

At 1:03pm today, I got a phone call from Howard (who didn't give his name when he called, but it's a name and a voice that was hard for me to forget), asking me in a very condescending tone why I hadn't vacated the room, and that I was an hour past checkout time.

I went down to the front desk within two minutes, and he checked me out and then actually asked for the room keys back (what hotel actually still asks for the keys back?!?!)

At this time, I asked for the GM, informed she wasn't in, and spoke with Julie instead, who apparently was an assistant manager, who insisted that I was told about the water issue when I checked in (which I wasn't) but gave me a certificate for a free night's stay at the hotel in the future, something that I probably won't ever use.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Hotel was a perfect location for my trip. Very clean and had excellent breakfast choices. Pool and hot tub were very relaxing! Would definitely stay here again!! Very quiet atmosphere. Hotel attendants were very helpful and courteous in making decisions on eateries in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

One of the top La Quinta's I've had the pleasure staying in. Location is great and the rooms are spacious. The cleanliness of the rooms are magnificent and I've never had any complaints besides the water pressure at times with regards to the toilets.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Chicago North Shore? Share your experiences!