“Poor food, service etc. at Orchid Bay” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American
Portsmouth England
“Poor food, service etc. at Orchid Bay”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

Orchid Bay Marina and restaurant has recently re-opened after a period of closure. I would have thought, therefore, that the restaurant might try a little harder to please its diminishing number of paying guests. Two of us went there recently to an almost empty restaurant and chose to sit a a table laid up for six. This, partly because we needed to cool breeze from the open windows but more so because we wanted to sit as far away from the blaring music at the other end of the restaurant coming through the open windows from the outside. (There were another 2 empty tables for six, several for four and a couple of tables set for two persons, so we were not displacing anyone).

To start with, the welcome received from the waiter (the only server) was 'cool' from the outset. The 'welcome' smile was non-existant. He took silent umbrage that we sat where we did, despite the emptiness of the restaurant. We ordered drinks, but my Club Soda (not from a can, for sure) was flat and tasted horrible. (I couldn't drink it). My wife's salad was okay. My caesar salad leaves were tough and I had to find another fork with sharp points to penetrate the leaves in order to pick them up. The "home Fries" were of the McDonalds variety. Then, finally, my caesar salad was priced on the check $2.00 more than on the menu.

To add insult to injury, to 'enjoy' this experience we made a 20 mile round trip in our center console boat, but that was my choice. If the food/service was up to an acceptable level, however, this would even be an issue.

To survive these hard times, this restaurant (and they're not alone) needs to pull up its socks, put on a warmer welcome, supply better food and make their customers leave feeling happy. We live here in Abaco and, sadly, will probably never go again.

• Visited June 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Fort Lauderdale
“Lots of work to do”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

We recently stayed on Guana Cay in the Abaco's. Lovely stay on a lovely island. We were looking forward to dinner at Orchid Bay as we had been led to believe that it was finer dining.
We checked out Orchid Bay early in the trip and it looks like a lovely area/development.
Orchid Bay Marina restaurant: We went there for dinner on our last night (Sunday April 25th). We were hoping for lobster but none had come in. The host/server was outstanding and a true professional, and the busboy was right on time with keeping our table clean. Kudos to you guys. But the food was very disappointing. We ordered the kids pasta for my daughter, and asked for just butter. What arrived was a mere handful of spaghetti swimming in water laced with butter. I asked our server to drain the water and complained about the portion size. He came back with drained pasta but with the same measly amount. My salad was a nice crisp mix. My wife ordered the Penne Chicken Alfredo. Although she said it was acceptable, it was served on spaghetti instead of Penne. No big deal but we should have been told this beforehand. I ordered one of the fresh fishes of the day, tuna. On the menu it offered it grilled, blackened or fried. I requested grilled rare, and the tuna was perfectly cooked. But it was marinated in soy sauce which overwhelmed the taste of the fish. Once again a well run kitchen would have made sure that the customer was told that it would be prepared this way. The dining room was very attractive and we enjoyed the view from the large veranda. We found out afterwards that this was the first night that the restaurant was opened for the season, but that is no excuse for what is supposedly upscale dining. These are easily correctable errors so I hope they take note.

• Visited April 2011