“Loved the Colonial” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Weiser
Yakima, WA
“Loved the Colonial”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2008

I have stayed at the Colonial 3 times now and with different members of my family and have always found the rooms clean, furniture in good repair and comfortable. The staff has always been courteous and helpful. One my last trip with my sister the microve kept messing up the air condition but with only one call to the office and he came and fixed every thing. We had clean towels and wash cloths every day. We had a smoke free room. The TV is with cable and works well. No internet service but not a number one thing we neede although it would be nice. The microwave and refrigerator all were clean and worked well. Have stayed in the cold weather and had no problem with the heater. We plan on staying there again this coming October and have our reservations made. Looking forward to a comforable stay.

• Liked — Friendly and helpful staff, Clean rooms
  • Disliked — no internet but so what
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2008

The motel is minimal and basic and the room a bit on the run-down side, the sort of place you'd sleep in but not linger in. The price is low so there's no complaint there.

Like one of the other reviewers, I was fooled by the web site. And I expected a very friendly place. That didn't happen. I got gruff responses. I said I had e-mailed a request for a room and the only response I got was, "Did I reply?" Then a key handed to me with no other comments.

Stayed June 2008

Travelers are raving about these Weiser hotels

Northwest
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2008

Let me preface by saying that this may well be the best motel in Weiser- there aren't very many. Also, I am very experience in cheap lodging, so I'm not one of these folks that always stays at the Hilton and freaks out at anything less. My usual lodging budget is less than $50 a night if I can help it.

That said, barring the former Golden Gavel in Olympia, this is the worst cheap motel room I can remember. It smelled, probably used to be a smoking room; the bed was a sinkhole; it was tiny; the "furniture" is ancient thrift store stuff, mismatched and in poor condition; and the heat took forever (although it was a cold night).

I was fooled by their cute website, the reviews here, and the management's response. You shouldn't be. This place was pretty awful, and I am tolerant person with low expectations for cheap room.

The room was clean, I will give them that, and the other two motels in Weiser don't look any better on the outside (yes, I almost decided not to stay at the Colonial it was so bad). Overall, I'd strongly suggest staying in Ontario or Boise if you're on the road, there ain't much in Weiser.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
gresham, or
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2007

The Colonial Motel: Clean rooms & friendly staff...Awsome! Don't miss this one.

We stayed at this motel over Memorial Day Week-end of 2007.
Driving in we were impressed with the cleaness and quaintness of this town. When we arrived at the motel guests were lingering over tables sprawled over very well manicured lawn's. A couple of these are covered with a canvas gazebo.
There are even gas Bar-B-Q's in a couple of areas.
The owner Kerry mingles with the guests and provided historical information about the town.

But anyone who travels with a pet as we did must be impressed with this properties Pee Pee Coral for animals.

Our over all rating for this motel:
Location: 10
Cleaness: 10
Stafff: 10

We will definitely stay here again.

Stayed May 2007
california
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2007

When we asked to see a room the owner asked us "why"?
He finally gave us a key to look at a room, it was shabby with old furnishings and a saggy bed. When we declined to stay there the owner had a nasty attitude and wanted to know why we did not like it. We told him and he had a rude attitude towards us so we left. We found a clean and well-maintained motel across town called The Indidanhead motel to be much nicer . The charming friendly town of Weiser has many beautiful old buildings and craftsman style homes, definitely worth the visit!

• Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
motelman, Owner/Manager at Colonial Motel, responded to this review, August 18, 2007
I feel compelled to respond to "sansimeon's" review regarding the incident he writes about. I have to say first off that I don’t recall this particular person, have the slightest idea who he was, or when he stopped in here… That being said - I have to assume he DID stop in here, and although I respect his right to have an opinion, good or bad, I feel that it is MY obligation and right to speak up about what I see to have been a major mis-interpretation by “sansimeon.”

Review Statement: “When we asked to see a room the owner asked us "why"?”

My Response: After having over 7,300 customers stay with us since I took over operations of the Colonial, I have NEVER asked anyone "why" they wanted to look at a room! EVER. What I HAVE said to people is "Sure, if you need to" or "If you’d like, sure - not a problem." As a matter of fact, of those 7,300+ customers, I’d say that less than 20 have ever asked to look at a room, and of those, MAYBE 5-6 have not chosen to stay with us. That is to be expected. We don’t like it, but it happens; people’s expectations of anything like this are SUBJECTIVE at best. IF they come back in and say they didn’t like it or are going to check elsewhere, I ALWAYS ask, “Was there something wrong with the room that I need to know about?” Although it bothers me that someone doesn’t like our place for whatever reason, as a business owner that puts customer satisfaction at the top of my priorities list, it is my responsibility to try and find out why they were not satisfied. Anyone would (or should…)
As far as me having “a nasty attitude” when they declined to stay here, THAT is TOTALLY untrue as well. I could give the names of a couple hundred people that would say WITHOUT HESITATION that we are some of the nicest and friendliest people they’ve dealt with on their journey.

Review Statement: “…gave us a key to look at a room; it was shabby with old furnishings and a saggy bed.”

My Response: Even if I HAD a “shabby” room with a “saggy bed” I would not send anyone to THAT particular room as a review!! Would that make ANY sense? This motel has been in operation for 67 years… That’s a long time in anyone’s book. We do have some pieces of what you could consider “vintage” furniture (chairs, lamps, etc.) in some of our rooms, but what's there is all in good shape – If it's NOT, it gets replaced. Period, end of story. In the last 5 years of working almost EVERY day of every week, we have replaced almost all the beds, almost all the carpets, upgraded ANYTHING wherever and whenever necessary and/or possible. Again, SUBJECTIVITY comes into play here when one looks at a room; it’s amenities AND whether or not a bed is “saggy.” “Saggy” to one person might just be PERFECT for the next and vice-versa…
I have a saying that I came up with for this place. “It ain’t the Ritz, but it’s as good as we can hope to make it, and we’re always trying to do better yet.” We don’t have card lock doors, wet bars, big fat plush towels, shower caps and all that – but what we DO have (or try or best) is to offer a clean, quiet, comfortable and affordable room for our guests.

Review Statement: “When we declined to stay there the owner had a nasty attitude”

My Response: Again – I have NEVER “copped an attitude or had a ‘nasty’ attitude” toward ANYONE that chose not to stay here. EVER. Even if I was in a lousy mood for whatever reason... You could not find ANYONE (except “sansimeon I suppose) to say that I have ever been anything but cordial. As I said, it BOTHERS ME when someone doesn’t like something, but that doesn’t make me turn into a jerk. That's going to happen... I KNOW how customers are to be treated – even if they’re walking out the door! Again, even though I truly don’t recall this particular incident, to give a possible explanation IF I did seem to have a “nasty attitude” - when one is on the clock or on call 24/7/365 sometimes the fact that one might be a LITTLE on the tired side may have something to do with it.

My Closing Response: I’m sorry that “sansimeon” found us not to his liking. I would like to make a public offer to him to come back to the Colonial anytime he is in this area again and I will give him a free nights stay in what our regular guests consider to be one of our BEST ROOMS….

Stop by and say "hi" to us if you're in the area.
I PROMISE to be nice to you......... :-)
Hunt, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2005

Kerry Kendall's service is great. He is a really nice guy who looks out for his customers, and his town.
AC is a little weak. There are ~22 units. Spotlessly clean.
No internet -- dialup phone service. But go to the Subway for lunch and they have a Wi-Fi hotspot (and good sandwiches).
See (---)
Stay here. if you can, during the fiddle contest in late June.

Been to Colonial Motel? Share your experiences!