“Amazing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of MontGras Winery

MontGras Winery
Carretera del Vino I 50 | Camin Isla ode Yaquil s/n, Palmilla, Santa Cruz, Chile
56 72 822 845
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Palmilla
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sao Paulo, SP
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I have no doubt that Montgrass is among the top 3 in Chile. I recommend to everyone who comes to Chile that they must go to Montgrass.

I would like to thank Cristian, Gozalo and Marcelo for the moments we spent in Montgrass. It was Amazing!!!!

Saludos.

Dallas, Texas
“Good wine, Great guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

My girlfriend and I did a wine pairing with food that included a tour of the winery. We started in the vineyard tasting different grapes from the vines, discussing the flavors and the attributes they would give to the different wines they would be used to produce. We also tried some grapes that had started to turn to raisins, which was interesting. That was followed up with a pretty thorough tour of the operation, processing, storage areas,etc. Our guide, Christian, was able to answer all the questions we threw at him (and I ask a lot of questions). He was able to adapt to questions on a variety of topics which made the tour more well rounded and informative. It felt like we had the winery to ourselves and were not rushed. We had a great time and that was even before the tastings had stated...

Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
“Fruits of Delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

My cousin and I visited Vina Montgras in Chile's Colchagua Valley for the first time last year in March, drawn by the promise of grape harvesting and stomping. After road-tripping down the Pan American Highway in our rental from Santiago, Christian, our handsome guide, outfitted us with bright orange aprons and bucket caps for our harvesting experience (which were ours to keep), walked us through the picking process, gave us great background knowledge on the secret life of grapes, and then handed us the clippers. We each filled up a huge bin of the beautiful purple orbs, hoisted them onto our shoulders, and carried them to the stomping yard where we crushed the little beauties between our toes--what fun! Afterwards, we did a tour of their gorgeous, immaculate facility, sipping along the way, and then ended our day with a blend-your-own bottle experience. So enamored was I with the whole affair, I told Christian I would bring my students back one day, knowing they would love the unique experience.

Happily, I was able to do just that this March when I returned with 8 high school students and a colleague. In lieu of the tasting and blending, we substituted horseback riding and mountain biking through the vineyards, and we also added a deluxe, hilltop, open-air BBQ lunch, which was one of the best meals I had during my two weeks in Chile. And their Antu Ninquen Syrah had a buttery, vanilla taste that reminded me of sugar cookies. Delicious! (I also recommend their carmenere--yum!)

I will definitely be going back to this stellar vineyard!

Visited March 2013
Santiago, Chile
35 attraction reviews
“Loved the family oriented "My Harvest" activity”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We visited MontGras Winery in April to participate in its "My Harvest" activity, as this came highly recommended by other families in Santiago. We were not disappointed! We went with our 4 and 6 year old boys (with our 3 month old baby also in tow) and the whole family participated in tasting the various grape varieties right off the vines, touring the processing facility, harvesting / stomping grapes into juice and tasting the final product... or the Coke and cookies, in the case of the kids! We particularly loved the picking and stomping component, which was tons of fun. The kids went so far as drinking the juice coming out of the barrels (after stomping the grapes with their bare feet), which was definitely unsanitary but worth it for the squishy feeling on your feet and the delicious juice that resulted!

The tour guide, Gonzalo, was both knowledgable and fun spirited with the kids - although he had a schedule, he was pretty relaxed about the slower pace we moved through the various components of the tours and activities. They were completely set up for young children, with kids' sized aprons and colouring, coke and cookies for the kids during the wine tasting component of the tour. The tasting was done very professionally, with small food items to pair with 5 different varieties of wine (and generous tasting portions). The kids had such a good time on the tour and in the tasting they said they wanted to go back and do it again - it was quote, "The best day!". Our kids have been on other winery tours and have NEVER said that before, which is a testimony to how family oriented MontGras Winery is.

Having lived in Chile for almost 3 years, we have been on many wine tours in the various growing regions near Santiago as well as in Mendoza, Argentina. The wine itself at MontGras is "good", not "out of this world great" (yet) but in terms of the tour/activities, it was the best experience we've had yet. We highly recommend this as an activity for families, where the adults can have fun too!

Seattle, Washington
“Wonderful tour and tasting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We had a wonderful tour with Gonzalo! He was very knowledgeable and made the tour and tasting personal and enjoyable. We would very highly recommend this winery, its wines, its tours and its tastings, especially if you have Gonzalo!