“Motel run like a B&B in a strange but awesome town” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Valley Creek Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Stanley
Valley Creek Motel
Save Saved
You added Valley Creek Motel to your Saves list
Highway 21, Stanley, ID   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Stanley
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Motel run like a B&B in a strange but awesome town”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

I passed through Stanley on a cross country road trip and pulled into town at dusk to find this one of the only open accommodations. As others have said, this hotel is run by a couple who live in the house/office adjoining the property. The wife is very friendly and helpful. The husband is a bit gruff, but managed to help me solve an issue I had with the room. Basically it seems like he doesn't want to run a hotel, but retired there to get away from everything and fish! (Ok, I am just guessing) This town made me want to go learn how to fly fish...its a beautiful part of the country and a great base camp to explore the Sawtooths.

The rooms have a kitchenette and seem like they would work for a short stay, and have front and back balconies. The property and rooms fit the rustic feel of the town, but I would imagine this place would be noisy with full occupancy. The owners let people with RV's use the large stone parking lot for the night, so that also could be a noise factor in high season. Overall this was a good place to stay for a really small town.

Room Tip: If you are on the ground floor I imagine you would have a lot of noise from people walking upstairs...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Boise, Idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Room was clean w/ basic amenities, but the elderly gentleman running the place was a "crab" at best. We had a couple of questions and he acted like he was doing us a favor to even answer the door. There are snarky, long, and detailed signs/messages posted all around the room, (no one else allowed in the room, no one can use the bathroom, shower, etc; Cannot remove ANYTHING from the room for even a SECOND). The type of customer these signs are meant for would laugh and ignore them anyway, and the signs are an insult to the rest of us. The positive reviews of this place have to be "plants" from relatives as this guy could not have any friends...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Stanley is a weird and wonderful place. It is said to be the coldest place in Idaho and it was 3 above zero in late October, 2012 with everything coated in beautiful flocked snow.. The Motel was modest, the host was helpful and friendly and the room had a functioning kitchenette with pots and pans etc. It was ultra clean, well appointed and quiet. We wanted to stay at another higher rated inn but the staff was unfriendly and unhelpful.

Room Tip: Great views from all rooms. 2 story. 8 units.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Boise, Idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

The accommodations are standard for the area, but clearly over priced. The place was clean, the view quite poor. I'd suggest looking elsewhere because you'll get more for the money. The owner reminded me of an ex-military man that runs a tight ship and is highly inflexible.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Portola Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

I booked 3 nights in Stanley, first at the High Country Inn. It wasn't at all what I expected and not very clean with a fifties kitchen and bath. I left after one night. I then went to the Valley Creek. How refreshing to have a clean, fresh smelling room. First I met Herb, a nice man who runs the front desk and one of the owners. The next day I met Victoria his wife who is a friendly, charming and a delight to talk to. We had nice conversations and she had fascinating stories to tell about her travels and countries she has lived in. By the time we left, after 2 nights, we felt like family and exchanged hugs. We have stayed at almost all of the hotels in this town, this is by far the best. We will be back.
Try the Bakery for breakfast and the Sawtooth Hotel for dinner (same owners), great food.
This is a darling western town about 1 1/2 hours drive north of Sun Valley. On your way back to Sun Valley, be sure and stop at the Galena Lodge for a super lunch.

Room Tip: All are good.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Clean, no frills motel.

If you need a moderately comfortable room in Stanley or a large room with a kitchenette for preparing your own meals, you can consider Valley Creek. If you're looking for a nicer room with up-to-date decor (decor here is not old or dirty, just very low-budget) and spectacular views, you might want to try someplace else.

One of the owners is an extraordinarily friendly and very funny Basque lady. She supplied us with a lot of useful information on things to see and places to eat. I wish I could give Valley Creek 5 stars just on her personality alone. Unfortunately, due to a few critical issues with the room and the other owner I can't.

First, the thermostat was broken--we set the heater to 68 degrees before going to bed. When we woke up in the middle of the night, after sleeping horribly, the temperature in the room was about 87 degrees. When we informed the owner (her husband) he replied, "well, those thermostats are not really supposed to be accurate". He offered no apology whatsoever. His response was 100% unacceptable. Especially at the rates Valley Creek charges.

The other significant issue--the walls are paper thin. Even with earplugs in, I could still hear people in the other rooms. I could even clearly hear our upstairs neighbor urinating in the middle of the night. And this is despite my bed being at the opposite end of the room from the bathrooms.

Overall, the minuses significantly outweighed the pluses at Valley Creek and I can not recommend staying here. We did not consider it a good value. Next time we need a motel room in Stanley, we will definitely look elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Meridian, Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

We called ahead & were assured the property was handicap accessible w ramp & bath bars prior to our 6/2011 trip. My husband has muscular dystrophy & can only walk a few shaky steps while hanging on - on flat ground. We weren't told the parking lot was loose gravel & the only access to the ramp. His scooter wheels could not negotiate the gravel. Earlier we had to ask a whole group of bikers to move their motorcycles so we could park sideways so less gravel had to be negotiated - they got really mad because there was no handicap sign except for the one we had for vertical parking (which would then require a long ride over gravel & finally one nice guy convinced the group to move another space over. My husband had to get up & walk to the ramp while 3 of us tried to drag the scooter to the ramp (I'm 71). My husband fell (please see pictures attached) & he cannot get up from the ground. This was night time after dinner hour - you can't believe what we went thru to get him up & onto the scooter to get into our room - very scary experience & humiliating for my husband. The bathroom has only a tiny bar which did not help in the least to get my husband off the toilet & the bathtub had no handicap bars so he could not take a shower (note pictures). The room was clean & probably great for non-handicap. This is a designated handicap room - would never meet ADA standards. Please don't even consider this motel if a scooter or wheelchair is required - will ruin your trip. The bed was not great either but that wasn't a the significant issue we had. I tried to talk to the staff on site but they sort of shook their head as if we should have selected another place. We checked out the area before leaving & found another really accessible room for a lot less money.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Valley Creek Motel? Share your experiences!