“Wonderful get away” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 8 Sandpoint B&B and Inns
Missoula, Montana
“Wonderful get away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

The Sweet Magnolia was a great find. Easy walk to downtown restaurants, easy drive to Schweitzer. Our room was clean, quiet, and comfortable. Excellent coffee delivered to our door each morning. Cal and Jill were wonderful hosts and every breakfast was delicious. Looking forward to staying at Sweet Magnolia again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Snohomish, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

This was an absolutely wonderful find! We happened upon the Sweet Magnolia while searching for another hotel. There it sat...lovely and inviting..and it drew us in. We stayed in the downstairs front room and felt as if the entire porch and downstairs were ours. Jill interrupted dinner preparations to welcome us. Our room was a treasure with many thoughtful details. If you enjoy a feeling of history enhanced with modern grace, this is for you. The location is terrific - easy walking distance to downtown. And the breakfast is fabulous, including the secret ingredient. Great conversation with both hosts, Cal and Jill, as well as our fellow guests. Don't miss this. We will definitely go back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We loved the Sweet Magnolia. We were in Sandpoint for one night and are really glad we found this place. It's quiet and homey. I loved how the towels were not "hotel" towels, but were different colors and not scratchy. The queen bed was comfy and since it was a hot day, the air conditioner was on. Breakfast was delicious and delightful. The eggs were great and the coffee cake was sinful. And I am a coffee snob and the coffee was very good. The couple who own it are so nice. They helped us make dinner plans are were there to answer questions and guide us to local sites. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: I would recommend the Star room. It is in the middle and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We stayed at Sweet Magnolia for one night on our way back to Canada. The location is superb, very close and walking distance to everything. While Jill was friendly enough, it was Cal that was particularly warm and welcoming and breakfast was delicious! The toilet/bathroom was a bit awkward/small but apart from that the room was spacious and well maintained. The reason I am rating 4/5 rather than 5/5 is for sleep quality/value.

Due to the age of the house, the hardwood floors, although beautiful were quite squeaky and we found we could hear our neighbours walking around, getting in and out of bed, up during the night and early morning etc. as well as people shuffling outside our door. I also felt bad moving around as I was worried I was waking neighbours up too. I did also find it was a bit overpriced relative to a lot of other BnBs I have stayed in but regardless, the property, location, and breakfast make it a pleasant place to stay in Sandpoint, especially where there are not a ton of the beaten track options.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cal O, Owner at Sweet Magnolia Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Old Cal is starting to notice a pattern - 3 years, three reviews that I felt compelled to respond about and ALL THREE ARE CANADIANS ON THE WAY HOME FROM A LONG TRIP late in the season...grumpy? already spent your budget? dreading the long ride home? No idea...BUT if you take 3 - 5 minutes and look at our website, you can't help but notice that the inn was built in 1907. Maybe it isn't obvious to all, BUT THE FLOORS DO SQUEEK IN AN OLD HOUSE, as do the stairs. Fans are provided in each room to provide white noise. Obviously, I can't control when the other guests come and go and I have no desire to do so. I can report that 99.9% of our guests claim to have an extraordinary night's sleep while here.

As for the value issue, I have covered this before. Our season is July/August/Sept. If you choose to visit then, you will indeed pay more than you will in the off season. If you want to buy cheap, you will get what you pay for. There are $75 rooms in CDA at Motel 6 and several lower priced options in Sandpoint, where you will get what you get. If you consider a minimal amount of value for the gourmet coffee and a pretty darn good breakfast, not to mention the charming hosts, our prices are really too low.
So if you are trying to save a Looney on the way home, you should stay somewhere else.
70% of our guests are Canadian and we love almost all of them...many of them are repeat guests, so I suppose I should ask them to rebut their countrymen rather than show my frustration.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Husband and I paid for the night but once we saw the amount of spiders hanging from the sun room ceiling, plus saw how fragile the house/rooms were we decided to stay somewhere else for the night. There was no TV or air conditioning.. The location is nice and close to everything however there are far cleaner places for a lot less money.

• Stayed July 2013
Cal O, Owner at Sweet Magnolia Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dirty rooms? Are you kidding me? All I can say is read the other reviews and how clean they say the rooms are. As was the case for our only other questionable review, they certainly never expressed any concerns to us or we would have responded in an attempt to satisfy them, even if they were unreasonable.
Sweet Magnolia B&B is a Victorian home built in 1907. We have kept the style Victorian, so yes there are all kinds of cool old heirlooms, many of them from our families.
All I'll say is that if you want the Holiday Inn Express, it's available about 5 miles north of town.
We do not have TVs in the rooms to protect the other guests from some hard of hearing person blaring CNN all night.
It's a pretty amazing summer when only 1 couple out of more than 500 complain - although we have had several jerky people, the vast majority are nice and happy people who greatly enjoy their stays.
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

My husband, daughter, and I spent 2 nights in the Grandiflora Room. What a beautiful home and marvelous rooms! We happened to be the only ones there, so were able to peek into the other rooms; they were all exquisitely furnished, and just what my expectations of decorating a Victorian house were.

We enjoyed sitting on the porch in the evenings; the flower garden was so pretty, and large spruce trees obscured the empty parking lot across the street.

Cal and Jill are great hosts, and their breakfasts were delicious! We couldn't have asked for a more perfect stay. We felt very much at home; I hope we get to come back some day!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ATLANTA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Sandpoint ID is a charming small town situated in the mountains on a spectacular glacial lake. This B&B is just a few blocks from the "action" and a 10 minute walk from the lake, on a quiet street, athough the immediate surroundings are a 1950's motel across one street, an empty lot that was a car dealership on the other side, and the local hosptal on the next block, you can see the mountains from the lovely sunroom on the second floor, and it is quiet at night. Cal and Jill bought the b&b 2 years ago. They are a warm delightful couple who are very accomodating. Most of the rooms are upstairs, ours was on the main floor. The public rooms are decorated in a Victorian/eclectic style. The guest rooms are similar (I told Jill the bed in our room may be Stickley furniture), apparently not much changed from the previous owners. The reason this merits 4/5 and not 5/5 stars it the servious lack of storage in the rooms, both drawers (only tiny draws unfit for anything but change and underware) and hooks on the wall substituting for a closet. I know fixing this problem is on their to do list. Hot water with tea/hotchocolate is left out with a guest refrigerator upstairs. Breakfast is a full breakfast. when informed that I was on a restricted diet (in advance) they purchased special things for breakfast for me! we would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Did not see theupstairs rooms. Liked the one on the first floor because we were the only ones on th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sweet Magnolia Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!