“Rude owner, cleaned the pool & hot tub ourselves.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Cub River Canyon Lodge and Guest Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Preston
Cub River Canyon Lodge and Guest Ranch
You added Cub River Canyon Lodge and Guest Ranch to your Saves list
1942 No Deer Cliff Road, Preston, ID 83263   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Preston B&B and Inns
Lewiston, Utah
“Rude owner, cleaned the pool & hot tub ourselves.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Think twice before you book.

I don't even know where to start. I don't have time to get into everything that went wrong with this place, but I'll relate some of the biggest issues. My elderly grandparents rented part of the RV and camping area for our annual family reunion. When we got there, the reservations were double booked. There was a lot of rearranging and juggling done to get spots for all 5 RV's and 4-5 tents. It was a circus to say the least.

Next, the manager (a very nice and helpful lady) told us we were welcome to use the bathrooms in the lodge. I expected to only use the port-a-potties, but after checking them out and finding them to be absolutely disgusting, reeking, and filthy, I wanted to take my son in to use the lodge toilets. What a nightmare to have had my child use those horrible port-a-potties. Others in our group felt the same. After 2 days of several families in our group using the indoor bathrooms, the owner, Denise, singled ME out and yelled at me for using the lodge bathrooms. She was incredibly rude. I was very confused since we were told we COULD use them, and had been for 2 days! We always cleaned up after ourselves and brought in our own toilet paper.

When we got there, the pool was completely drained and not cleaned, nor was anyone there to clean it. My lifeguard cousin actually ended up cleaning and filling the pool himself because nobody ever came to do it...That's right, we had to clean and fill the swimming pool ourselves.

Denise, the owner, was extremely annoying. She was yelling at all the younger people for things they didn't do (such as running through the lodge, leaving doors "wide open" and spilling food in the hot tub--this was done by another group, but not us). We were told that in order to use the hot tub again, we would have to clean it ourselves, even though we didn't make the mess. So we ended up not only cleaning the pool, but the hot tub as well.

Denise also seemed to hover over our group. It was like she was watching our every move. She came down to meet with my grandparents SEVERAL times EACH DAY, always unhappy with some little thing or other that we were doing. She seemed to make up rules on the spot. Eventually we began to feel that we couldn't do anything but sit by our RV's. It felt like we were trespassing in a crotchety old neighbor's backyard. We felt VERY unwelcome.

I didn't spend much time in the lodges, but they seemed very outdated and run down. Decor looked like it was from the '90's and I saw inside TWO 2-car garages absolutely packed full of junk, like a Hoarders episode.

If I were reading this review, I'd wonder if our group was a bunch of hooligans, trashing the place and being rude... But we are just regular, nice people. We have a reunion every year at other places and never experienced issues like this.

The owner needs to learn how to run a real business. She needs lessons on how to treat her customers. Maybe if she had spent less time hovering and forcing her guests to clean the entire place, and more time tending to her own responsibilities, she'd be better off. It's too bad that someone with some sense and organization skills doesn't buy this place and bring it up to its potential. Never setting foot there again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Couples
Solo
Business
salt lake city
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

Ten of us rented bunks in the lodge the night before the Little Red Riding Hood Century. It turned out to be a great place to stay! (& affordable) I was a little worried based on previous reviews. However, the Lodge owner was very hospitable and accomodating in helping our group get set up and then out early the next morning for the ride. She offered some lovely suggestions for an afternoon hike & site-seeing up the canyon, the day before the ride. Several folks were from back east and they loved the mountain setting and the beautiful canyon. Dinner at the Deer Creek Inn next door was terrific. The lodge was clean and beds were comfortable. Its not a super fancy place, some would consider it a bit funky: think "hostel" or "lodge" not luxury hotel with double pillows and luxury mattresses. But it was all very clean, we had everything we needed and it was a great place for the group to relax and hang out and prepare for the ride. We hope to do it all again next year. There was another group that rented another room in the same lodge and we all shared the space and it worked out well. The pool and hot tub weren't operating yet, so I can't comment on those.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
ca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2008

We just returned from a reunion at this lodge. We had rented the lodge and the guest house. I found the place to be in horrible shape. The bedding was old and all mismatched. The beds were very cheap mattresses. All of the decor is very dated. The living room had teddy bear lamps, that didn't work and all other lamps didn't work. I have a suggestion for them, put new light bulbs in! The pictures of the guest house are very deceiving. The kitchen is not shown because it looks so bad. There is no counter space, and just mismatched appliances. I couldn't believe that for the price you have to do all your own cleaning before leaving, including stripping and remaking the beds. If they don't have someone to make beds, then how do you know for sure that the bed you slept in was clean? GROSS! The best thing about this place was the pool, which was very clean. They have alot of work to do on this place to update it. The price that they charge is definitely not reflective of what they offer. I would not stay here again.

Stayed July 2008
utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2007

My 75 year old mother found this property on line. She has little experience on the internet. She rented the place for our family reunion.

The "lodge" is really a very poorly built home, with beds crammed into every bedroom. One of the bedrooms upstairs has a sliding glass door as the entry.

VERY dirty, I never felt comfortable walking around without my shoes on. At any given time there were dozens of flies buzzing around in the kitchen.

We had toddlers, who figured out how to pull out the slats on the stair rail, unsafe.

So yes, you can rent this place and cram dozens of people into its dark dreary interior, but I believe my parents paid close to 1,500 for three nights. What a waste. Please go into this with eyes wide open.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — run down, cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Preston Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2005

We had a great time at the Cub River Lodge! What a great place! The horse rentals, swimming pool, sounds of the water in Cub Creek running over the rocks. Our family has such a great time there. We will be back!JL

Preston Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2005

Wanted to include some pictures from our great vacation. What a great place for a retreat / conference!

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2004

Cub River Guest Ranch is the greatest place for reunions. A big lodge and guest house with an adjoining RV Park with a geo-thermal heated pool, hot tub, beautiful scenery next to forest ground, great hiking, and horse and ATV rentals. It is great! Recommend to everyone!!!!!

Been to Cub River Canyon Lodge and Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!