“Bad location” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Mountain Home KOA

Mountain Home KOA
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mountain Home
Mountain Home KOA
You added Mountain Home KOA to your Saves list
220 East 10th North, Mountain Home, ID 83647   |
Fort Riley, Kansas
“Bad location”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

My husband, 2 pets, and I stayed here for one night while passing through the area. The other reviews about this location are accurate - it's a campground in the middle of an industrial looking area. It's in a small town and the campground sits more on the outskirts of the town. We stayed in a camper cabin and it was not very clean upon arrival. To remedy this, I did some cleaning of the cabin to make our stay more enjoyable, so the cabin was probably cleaner after we stayed in it than it was when we pulled up. The bath house seemed much cleaner than our cabin, thankfully. We never met the hosts, as we arrived after close and left before they opened. The cabin was adequate for the night, but we would not have wanted to stay much longer.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Business
Vernon, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Friendly staff, easy checkin, and services worked fine, but this KOA is very tired and in need of landscaping and upgrades! It is in a crappy location situated in a low income housing area. Didn't feel safe walking my dog at night. Also the so-called Pet Area is a joke, run down to the point of the agility walk was broken and I actually found nails pointed upwards where a dog could have severely injured paws! Luckily my Golden didn't run up onto it! The kicker was in the morning, the police were at the KOA office dusting for prints, as there was a break-in and monies stolen!! The neighbourhood is very sketchy, we would not stay here again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Mountain Home hotels

Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We drove from Jackson, WY to Mountain Home, ID (on our way to Bend, OR) and I had made reservations ahead of time for a kamper kabin. We had just stayed at the KOA in Snake River and it was a great experience. We expected the same from this KOA and we were so wrong. We arrived and the location is just horrible. Right next to a cement factory and across the street from a trailer park, where we saw at least one drug deal go down (not kidding). I went into the office building and the office door was locked with a sign that said "back at 3:15". It was 4 pm. So we waited and waited for someone and around 4:45 I called the KOA headquarters and told them no one was here to check us in. I also asked if I could transfer my reservation to another KOA and was told they were all individually owned so I could not do that. They told me to sit tight and they would call the office and then call me back. Waited, no one called me back and still no one showed up by 5. We were extremely disgruntled, especially since we had a long trip and waiting around was not on our agenda. We got sick of waiting and decided to just drive to Bend that night and stayed in a hotel. I attempted to call KOA again and left a voicemail, but never heard back. Seriously, do not waste your time and money here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I arrived at the campground at around 5:30 and ask about a tentsite no problem and I was shown the best tentsite I have camped in during my stay in North America (6 months or so of travelling).

Check in was nice and easy no hassles.

The facilities are excellent with a spacious common room and very nice grounds. While I was sitting in the common room, the hosts first offered me something to eat and then a little offered to upgrade me to cabin for free as temps were expected to drop down to 25ºF during the night.

I can't speak highly enough of them.

They mentioned they had only taken over management and well are they an exceptional job. To those who had bad service in past, come back, to those reading the bad reviews things have changed.

I would recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
841carlaw, Manager at Mountain Home KOA, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you so much for the nice words. Happy to have met you, and we look forward to seeing you again. Drive safe and Happy travels.
Provo, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

This was the second time we had planned to stay at this KOA. Last year the host got angry because we arrived at 9:15pm & she was closing up at 9pm. She was very put out to have to turn her computer back on & let us check in. We wrote it off that maybe she was just having a bad day. We made reservations again this year & paid for our group online. The person that made the reservations wasn't going to arrive until very late, so she gave the reservation information (including a print out of the email confirmation) to another member of the party that would be arriving earlier. We got there & the host wouldn't let us check in!! She said the person that made the reservation had to be there in order to allow any of the group to check in. We had her call the person that made the reservation & they explained that we were all part of the same group, had already paid all the fees, and it was ok to let the rest of the group to check in. She refused to allow that! The person that made the reservation wasn't going to arrive until around midnight - and she refused to be available to allow them to check in when they arrived. She was EXTREMELY rude to everyone in the group!! We ended up having to cancel the reservation & go stay somewhere else. When we asked for her name, she refused to give it. She was so unprofessional & incredibly rude, I cannot imagine the owner, or even KOA as a whole, would want her to run anything in their name! We will NEVER stay here again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
841carlaw, Manager at Mountain Home KOA, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
I would like to sincerely apologize for the results of your last visit. I would also like you to know that we are currently under new management with new priorities. Currently managing the campground is Harry and Carla Workman. We have been affiliated with the business for over 20 years; however have just taken over the positions of Managers. Our goal is to provide a clean, safe, and friendly environment for you. Please consider returning and giving it another chance
Olympia, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

My wife and my brother stayed here last week. They had a horrible experience with the host. She was extremely rude and nasty. This is NOT the way to run a business and she should be kicked out of that position or else it's going to give KOA a bad name. I'll think twice before staying at another KOA. She should retire and/or take classes on how to properly run a public service business. The only problem was that my brother didn't pay the night they arrived because it was very late and they weren't sure how much to pay. The first thing in the morning she came by and accused them of trying to camp without paying and threatened to call the police, even though they were obviously not trying to leave without paying and most were still sleeping. She also told them to "get off the lawn". What are lawns for in a campground? She also overcharged them, out of spite. $54 for a single night, for 7 people with one tent.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
841carlaw, Manager at Mountain Home KOA, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Please let me first appoligize and inform you that The Mountain Home KOA is currently under new managment. The is no longer a horribly rude host. That sort of behavior is not exceptable by the KOA and will not be tolerated.
My husband Harry and I are the current and extremely friendly host's. Please consider returning and giving us a chance to correct the wrong that has been done to you.
Thank you, and again I am sorry.
Carla and Harry Workman
Vienna/Austria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

We arrived on our bicycles well before 7 pm on Monday, 22nd August 2011, at the campground office looking for a place to put up our tent for the night. The office was closed and there was no information as to where to find the host nor that he/she would be back at the ofice at all. It was not the time yet for a night reservation; instead we were there well within the office hours.
The whole site presented itself in a rather untidy an badly maintained state. There were only very few campground users. On most of the sites sprinklers were in operation, and the watering had evidently been going on since long. After a couple of minutes a man turned up and pointed to site T1 saying that these sites were for cyclists with tents. The site was flooded, and the adjacent site, T2, was next to a huge garbage container and not acceptable. The man answered that we should ask „her“ and walked up towards an RV standing near the campground entrance. This seemed to be the place the host was meant to be found, but the door to the RV was also closed.
After a few minutes a woman turned up - we assumed her being the host. She said that I might look „over there by this brown tent“ for a site if I would not like site T2. I moved towards the appointed spot while my friend stayed with her. At the brown tent I was welcome by a young couple from Canada. They invited me to stay next to their site because all the other spots were being sprinkled, in some places the water was already running onto the driving paths. I was glad about the offer and cycled back to the host who then walked to the site of my choice and approved of it. The registration was then made by my friend.
After we had put up our small tent two more sprinklers very close to our spot started. One of them sprayed water so far that we had to move our table. Now almost all the sites on the entire campground were set under water. If you step out of your tent in the night you may well get a cold shower from these sprinklers on your way to the restrooms. We hoped that the watering would be finished after an hour or so – but it went on the whole night.
Around 8 pm new visitors arrived and were facing their reserved site being flooded. Our canadian neighbour happened to be at the entrance and told the newcomers that there still would be one dry spot next to us. She was just as helpful to these people as she was to us an hour ago. However, according to what the young canadian woman was telling when back to the tent, the host was upset about her interference and told her that she should leave the campground. Still, we did not take this threat too serious.
But after some 30 minutes or so, meanwhile it was slowly getting dark, all of a sudden three policemen turned up, approached our tent sites and told the canadian couple that they should immediately leave the campground. One officer handed the young lady the receipt and returned the campground fee to her. There was absolutely no way of mediating between the host and the canadian campsite visitors. The police was not willing (nor able?) to retreat from executing this absurd request of the host who did not appear again on the scene. The canadian couple was made to leave the campground at the beginning of the night for no acceptable reason; instead they were helping us and the other visitors who had not been served properly by the host. She had refused even to clear a maybe-misunderstanding and had called the police for a reason the police anywhere else in the world wouldn't even appear. This host must have told a horror story to the police.
The campground itself is in the middle of a residential neighbourhood, it is not fenced and everybody can walk or ride or drive through the ground – including all kind of dogs. The campground does not offer the minimal protection to its users and the host does not care at all about this.
Such a behaviour disqualifies the whole campground. It's only because it's compulsory that I tick the 1 star button.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
This not normal practice for the KOA. My husband and I have recently taken over management of the campground and I would like to sincerley apoligize for the way you were treated. I can personally guarantee that you will not be treated like that again. Please do let this horrible experience stop you from returning and meeting us. We will do the best we can to make up for any inconvience you experienced.
We hope to see you this camping season.
Sincerely
Harry and Carla.

Been to Mountain Home KOA? Share your experiences!